Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 16,814 times

Advertisements

I 70 and I 76 is almost an impregnable barrier for bike commute. The sand creek trail will help me avoid the craziness of all the traffic on quebec, but it's not paved enough for a road bike. Does anyone know any alternatives for a north south route from stapleton to northfield for a road bike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koakai View Post
I 70 and I 76 is almost an impregnable barrier for bike commute. The sand creek trail will help me avoid the craziness of all the traffic on quebec, but it's not paved enough for a road bike. Does anyone know any alternatives for a north south route from stapleton to northfield for a road bike?
None that I know of other than the Sand Creek trail. I've never taken it, so I didn't know it was so rough. I think Havana up to whatever numbered street that is that takes you to Northfield would work better than Quebec, but it's still a construction mess south of the 70 and no sidewalks or bike lanes are there yet.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,286 times
I ride sand creek on a road bike a couple times a week or more.

A few months back they dumped some large rocks for a stretch of about 200 feet, but otherwise you can ride the entire length.

Until they build the new bridge your only other fast option is to run the death gauntlet on Quebec.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 16,814 times
Stapleton is afraid of the ghetto that is my beloved aurora so developers did not design it to run straight through as a street last time I explored. I do brave the sand creek trail on my road bike, but if there is any rain I fear that it is a lost cause. Quebec is just too scary to ride with all the cell phoning yahoos jumping on highways. According to the web sites regarding sand creek trail development, it seems that it is years away from being civilized. They are waiting on the railroad company to do some maintenance. I know I'm being a pansy and should just bust out the mtn bike, but I'm too impatient for that slow speed.
thanks

Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM

Aurora is to the south, Northfield is across I-70 and not in Aurora.

There is plenty of access to Aurora from Stapleton and personally I don't view it as a ghetto. In fact some of the best bargains to be found are in the east Denver area or just across the line in Aurora between 8th and 20th.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM

So I found this route a month or so ago while riding the bus from the park and ride in Stapleton to DIA. I guess I just never noticed the bridge.

The route is doable most days on a road bike (I have) but a mountain or cross / cruiser is much easier.

Headed North on Central Park Blvd just after MLK.

Veer right at the roads end, 32nd and follow it out to Smith Road where it ends again. Turn right, get around the gate (grr) and follow the asphalt road left, down and under the rail road bridge.

Afformentioned bridge. Notice the sign for the sand creek trail.

After passing under the bridge pick up the gravel trail to your RIGHT (east). See that hill as the road breaks to the right? Climb it.

Looking north from the top of the little hill.

The Bridge!!

Northfield at Stapleton!!

Looking south back at Stapleton.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 PM

65 posts, read 212,825 times
Depending on your willingness to potentially go out of your way and the part of stapleton you're in, Havana is designated a bike route up to 47th ave, crossing over 70. I don't know if that will help you or not for the particular parts you are going to/from, but there you go.

The bike shops in Denver sell a map of all the bike routes in Denver for 6 bucks (or at least that's what I paid), FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: