Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM

14 posts, read 100,413 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I just moved to Aurora and am anxious to experience some of Colorado's famous outdoor adventuring. Everyone speaks of "going to the mountains" and such, but I'm a little confused as to how one "goes" to the mountains. I mean, when people talk about hiking and climbing and such, are they talking about doing this at a national park? A state park? A private resort or something similar?

I guess my very stupid question is this: How would you recommend someone new to Colorado experience some beginner hiking and nature-experiencing?

Thanks
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,440,699 times
Well, as a "virgin" hiker and mountain person, I have started by visiting some local parks where there are trails. Eg; Chautauqua in Boulder which has a variety of hiking trails of different lengths and difficulty that go along/around/near the Flatirons to the south of town. There are also a couple of trails down by Eldorado Springs and up near Lyons. I'm sure there must be some in and around the Red Rocks/Morrison area.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:52 PM

618 posts, read 1,361,206 times
I recommend that you get a membership to your local library and check out some books on hiking in Colorado. They will give you recommendations, descriptions, and directions on all kinds of trails in Colorado.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 PM

182 posts, read 667,267 times
Here is a nice site to look at:
The Colorado Hiker

If you have limited outdoor experience in the mountains, taking a class to acquaint yourself with some basic safety and navigation skills would be fun and beneficial.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,112,141 times
You might also want to join an organization like the Colorado Mountain Club. Their groups organize hikes all over the state, have classes, and you'll be able to start meeting people you can hike with.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
I would certainly agree with taking some classes or at least reading some books about hiking, camping, etc. But other than that, just get in the car, drive out I-70 to the mountains and drive around. You are usually in national forest country in the mtns and there are trails and roads there, also trailhead parking at a lot of places. (A good set of maps would be helpful.) You can camp in Rocky Mtn Nat. Park; I think you generally need a reservation. The national forests have campgrounds, as well. They are usually more primitive than RMNP. I haven't camped for a long time, but it used to be you could camp in the national forests anywhere. I don't know if the rules are the same now.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM

201 posts, read 655,116 times
well...I've hiked up some unmarked trails in deer creek canyon- It is right near chatfield reservoir (kipling and C470)...but when I "go to the mountains" I figure that's anything past georgetown.

When I go up to the mountains, (especially if you've never driven the route) I like to go up to independence pass (exit I70 toward leadville and continue through leadville- turn right when you see the sign... this road takes you past twin lakes (a beautiful lake), past a "ghost town" (it's small, but it's there), through mountain plains, and if you're into hiking, on the other side of the pass (there's a walking trail at the top of the pass), when the road levels out, there are some hiking and atv trails also... it's beautiful and you will be surprised how isolated you feel . There are also plenty of campgrouds along that road as well as at the lakes- end of august, the water in the lakes is warm! Another great way to go up is through minturn- beautiful, lots of campgrounds, plenty of hiking...you get to see the tn pass! Or you could go up to estes park, also beautiful in the summer...my favorite are the lakes in Sylvan Lake State park Sylvan Lake State Park - Colorado State Parks ... and since I'm not a "camping" (tent on the ground) kind of person...the cabins up there are perfect! I also love hiking Mount Massive...

Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 PM

201 posts, read 655,116 times
oh...and as a side note (silly me, I'm forgetful of what I put in here) I would also recommend if you go hiking to carry more than one bottle of water with you- you get dehydrated fast and sunburned even faster (I love spray sunblock- spf 50 for me- AND I STILL tan with it on!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver