Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM

9 posts, read 31,984 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm a 24yo artist/photographer/college grad from Memphis, TN who's considering a move to Denver with my musician boyfriend of 5 years. I'm looking for a fairly affordable city with a good arts and music scene. I'm looking for a safer city than Memphis (one of the worst in the US!). I'm a huge outdoors lover and would like to find a place with nice weather. Ideally, I'd love a place with good public transporation/walkable/bikeable. I have no ties to the area, just looking for a cool place to live. Denver has made it to my short list, and I was wondering if you guys have any feedback. What do you think of Denver? Do you like living there? How's the art/music scene?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
What is your budget for housing?
Have you looked for jobs and did you get a positive feel?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,090,627 times
Charles asks a good question about budget.

With respect to the art scene, it is well supported and alive. Here are some of my personal recommendations and places I frequent:

My favorites Musuems are:
Denver Art Museum
Museum of Contemporary Art
Colorado History Museum
Kirkland Museum
Museum of Natural History - only one not in the downtown area

Galleries:
Arts District on Santa Fe Drive - about 30 galleries showing mixed media. Every First Friday of each month is a 'not to be missed' event for any artist in Denver. Galleries are open late serving wine and cheese. Art here in not just mixed with media but cost are low to very high. Be sure to check out John Fielder photography work.
John Fielder's Colorado

Spark Gallery is one of my favorites.

Galleries can also be found in the Golden Triangle, north Tennyson between 38th and 44th, 37th and Navajo and along south Broadway. The denses concentration current will still be on Santa Fe Drive.

Music Venues, Concert Halls and Theaters:
DCPA - Denver Center for Performing Arts: Ellie Caulkin for Opera and Ballet, Temple Buell for Broadway shows (second in ticket sales to NYC), Boetcher for the Colorado Symphony, and the Stage therater for smaller off Broadway shows.
Paramount Theater - Historic Deco theater used for live muscians and comedy acts.
Blue Bird theater on Colfax
Gothic Theater on Broadway
Fillmore Theater on Colfax
The Ogden on Colfax
Pepsi Center for large attractions like Madonna, otherwise a sports arena
Herb's
Herman's Hideout
El Chapultepec
Dazzel
SoBo
Skylark Lounge
Cricket on the Hill
Red Rocks Ampitheater - Nationally know outdoor concert venue for large shows, U2 shot their "Under a Blood Red Sky" video here in the 80s, but concerts are constant throughout the summer. Tomorrow night is Stone Temple Pilots.

List of current some Denver Bands, but of course limited:

Denver Music and Nightlife : Denver Local Bands

Also check out Denver News, Events, Restaurants, Music from Denver, CO - Westword , it is the local alternative paper.

I love living in a section of Capitol Hill called Governor's Park as it is close to all of these attractions. Hope this helps!

Denver Aztec

Last edited by DenverAztec; 06-30-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 11:59 AM

Charles -

I've looked at craigslist.org for apartments, and I would not be looking to buy a house any time soon. My rent in Memphis is $700/mo and I would expect to pay more in Denver - am I wrong? I'm likely going to be waiting tables so my income will be slim at first. I plan on scouting out photography/assisting jobs, and I'm interested in getting licensed as a makeup artist/hair stylist as well.

How's the public transportation there?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 PM

Thank you for all the feedback, DenverAztec! Sounds like there's a lot going on. I always heard the music scene was great in Denver. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Public transport is pretty good here. I would check out Old Englewood as it has a strong music scene, (Gothic Theatre, Falcon Bowl, Swallow Hill, plus a whole lot of music shops and classes) access to light rail and is very affordable. Additionally, check out the Baker neighborhood which is more urban, closer to downtown with light rail access and a good arts scene.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:01 PM

39 posts, read 110,930 times
Denver is quite an artistic city. We usually get recognized more for our major sports teams, but the art scene here is thriving. I was raised by artist/actors, and have been involved myself so I know some about it.

The Denver Art Museum is one of the best I've ever been to. It's truly a fantastic art museum. We also just got the new Museum of Contemporary art, I haven't been yet, but have heard good things. This city is also full of little art galleries and events, such as the People's Fair & the Cherry Creek Art Festival (lots of the little nearby towns, like my town Castle Rock, have artfests too each year).

The DCPA is the largest group of theatres under one roof in the world, and there's always stuff going on. There's lots of music events/performers around here. This city loves art. I couldn't stand it or love it if it was any other way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver