Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM

34 posts, read 136,987 times

Advertisements

Oh yes= green is so much nicer than brown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 24,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
So you like something like this?

These pictures were taken 5-4-08

OK so I'll not dispute that Houston is green, and does get some bluebonnets a bit outside the city proper. But these pictures appear to be Austin? OP says he's visited, so it won't be news to him, but we should be clear that the biggest hills in Houston are the highway overpasses. Houston makes Eastern Colorado seem topographically diverse!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Here's a view from my office. We're in the Galleria area.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Houston. The air doesn't move very much. It just sits there... air you can wear.

It's not all bad though... just not for me.
I agree it doesn't move very much in the heart of the summer months, but I know for a fact that during the winter and spring months, i've felt a breeze in Houston that makes the weather quite pleasant. I remember because I was shocked from believing what a few exaggeraters on these boards said about Houston not having a breeze.

Believe me, i'm not going to lie about Houston's weather. It's hell during the summer. But so is Las Vegas, New Orleans, Orlando, Dallas, and Phoenix. Those cities aren't doomed to hell and Las Vegas and Orlando still continue to be top vacation resorts ang great places for retirees.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 PM

34 posts, read 136,987 times
Rybert,
Thanks for the pictures- my brother is opening the new Costco in the Galleria.

Well we have very unique needs so we will keep serching for the right property in Houston- but the hot summer can't be worse than freezing water pipes and trying to haul water in 5 gallon buckets to all the animals.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:16 PM

5 posts, read 10,457 times
I lived in Houston when I was first on my own and I love it there. I do think that the crime can be pretty bad and, for me, the weather makes all of south TX unliveable most of the year. It depends on how the heat and humidity affect you. They kill me and kept me indoors 8 months of the year when I lived down there. To say that Houston is liberal is to compare it, IMO, to the rest of TX, not the rest of the country. If you want to know about the political climate in Texas I would suggest looking up some Molly Ivins essays. Even if they're from the 80's, they're still pretty much spot on. As for friendliness, I've found Denver to be quite friendly in general. There are jerks everywhere. I certainly experienced some of the greatest kindnesses in Texas, but also some of the most two-faced behavior ever. Beware the phrase, "bless his/her/your heart". Bugs: it's not just the size, it's the prevelance.
That said, Houston has a lot to offer in the way of culture, art, music, diversity, education opportunities, great medical care, beach access...the list goes on. It is probably the only TX city (other than maybe Austin) that I'd consider living in again. I just decided a long time ago I wouldn't live there again until I was wealthy. Since that hasn't happened yet, I just go back to visit. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:12 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Just looking at all that greenery makes me go... ahh ahh ahhchhooooo!!!!! Seriously, I'd rather live in a place that's dry and "brown." It's an acquired taste for sure. I'm sure houston has a lot to offer as a city, but I'd live in any desert southwest city anyday before I'd live in Houston. In fact, one of my slight criticisms of Denver is the city does not take enough advantage of the dry climate of the high plains; too much landscaping in Denver is an attempt to artificially make Denver greener than it really is naturally. I have found a lot of micro-scale examples of xeriscaping in Denver and I've seen a lot of potential for what it could become, but it has yet to be embraced on a mass scale. Deserts and wide open prairie landscapes are just as beautiful as lush greenery; you just have to appreciate it on its own terms.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:16 AM

447 posts, read 1,607,023 times
Well I'm not from Texas but I am from SC and that is much farther north but I can comment on the weather and humidity
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
No.. I'm pretty sure it's humid most of the time... and hot during the summer... and as far as breezes are concerned... what breezes?

I'll 2nd that rust problem... make sure you buy a new car every year or two (oh wait... that's exactly what they do here).
Exactly, the breeze in the south in the summer is like taking a blow dryer and sticking it in your face
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I'd have to agree that many people do exagerrate the humidity in Houston, and humid climates in general.
Oh it is NO exaggeration....you can't even go outside late april though october with out bursting into a sweat within the first 10min......and I am avidly outdoors and hiking was a b**ch in that climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegoldens View Post
Oh yes= green is so much nicer than brown!
Doesn't matter to me what color it is......if you can't get out and enjoy it

Old 07-04-2008, 02:04 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
We live in Eastern Colorado so we have brown all the time and high winds- we have had enough of the cold and want to move somewhere warm and green- I have family in Conroe near the Woodlands- so we have been looking in that area. I am hoping to hear from people from Hosuton and how it compairs to CO. I know it is going to be hot- that is a given. How open minded are the folks in that area? I know the bugs are bigger but what else should I consider?

Thanks for your time.
Odd, I thought "Eastern Colorado" was called Kansas?

I would not say you gave Colorado a fair chance. You live so far away from the mountains and the best you see is through the smog, fog, and haze. Move closer to the mountains before you move to Houston.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:41 PM

75 posts, read 262,107 times
Quote:
Rybert,
Well we have very unique needs so we will keep serching for the right property in Houston- but the hot summer can't be worse than freezing water pipes and trying to haul water in 5 gallon buckets to all the animals.
whitegoldens,

What kind of animals - are you talking about horses, dogs? Have you lived in high humidity with animals (I do now in Hawaii, it's a PITA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver