U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 PM

90 posts, read 621,458 times

Advertisements

My husband got the job in Golden and will be moving mid-March to a place near work until June when the kids get out of school and we can get moved up there.

We're looking to buy a house in the Thunderridge High School area, maybe in Roxborough, maybe in Highlands Ranch.

I've done the search on the forum and read the general info. But tell me what's it like. What are your favorite things to do around there? Favorite places to go? Great little finds? Problems or headaches?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 PM

226 posts, read 1,325,948 times
Congratulations (again) on the new Job, you and the family are going to LOVE Colorado. When we aren't working, in the winter we enjoy skiing at Copper Mountain and ice skating on Evergreen lake. In the summer hiking and mountain biking is always nice. Chatfield reservoir located between Highlands Ranch and Roxborough is also a lot of fun. The Highlands Ranch Rec centers are very nice. Heather really likes Park Meadows Mall. Although we don't golf you have several good golf courses in the area.

The biggest problem lately is the poor snow removal on the neighborhood streets and it sure would be nice if the weather returned to normal.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 PM

210 posts, read 1,307,721 times
The Jeffco parks have great hiking and biking trails, and they're easily accessible from either HR or Roxborough (Mt Falcon, Deer Creek, Meyer Ranch come to mind immediately). Daniels Park to the south is neat as well. There are also a lot of great bike trails, including one that runs along the South Platte from Chatfield to downtown Denver.
There are a lot of neat walking/shopping areas nearby as well, including downtown Littleton, Belmar, and downtown Golden. If you want malls Park Meadows can't be beat, with just about every store imaginable around there.
In the summer, and the winter, we like to occasionally get out of town for a weekend in the mountains. We'll just find a good room rate and go up for a night or two. You can be in the heart of Summit County in less than two hours from west Denver and can enjoy the mountain activities in and around there as well.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 PM

11,656 posts, read 32,632,465 times
Why Thunderridge? My guess is that it is on the west side of HR. But I have been wrong (once) before.

Highlands Ranch has nearly every sport, and water activity know to mankind...check out their website at www.hrcaonline.org other development info is available at www.highlandsranch.com

Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 AM

11,517 posts, read 50,277,332 times
Well located for virtually any outdoor activity almost right on your doorstep.

There's good access to the mountains for those activities, winter and summer.

Good access to shopping, big box stores, etc.

Commute to Golden is not too bad, although C-470 corridor and 6th Ave area can get pretty slow ... bumper to bumper during peak hours AM & PM.

But, with a job in Golden, why not check out living there???

All the same attributes, minimize the commute time/expense. Schools OK, too.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Some answers:

Thunderriddge because it's a 4A size school rather than 5A and my son is excited about attending there. (At 14, we'd like to get him excited about moving 1000 miles away and this seems like a good fit.)

Douglas County because the schools edge out Jefferson performance-wise by a bit.

Highlands Ranch area because the property values seem a pretty good investment.

Not Golden because, frankly, we can't find any houses in that area that we can afford and actually like. Many are in the Gilpin County school district, not Golden High School, at least those that seem to show up in our price range.

And in terms of overall geography, I will be looking for a job. No telling where I'll end up, but I've got an application in with a community college on the east side of Denver and Highlands Ranch kind of spilts the difference between his western commute and mine (if it works out). Of course, I'm driving into the sun both ways and my husband gets it at his back, the stinker.

Plus, my parents live in Colorado Springs and being more on the south side of Denver near I-25 means they're a little closer than if we settled in Golden.

By the way, does anyone have current insight into the Roxborough water troubles?

I've read and seen the coverage of the Summer 05 stuff, and I know all this snow this winter will help matters in the short term, but leasing water is a new concept for me and I'm wondering if there's a threat of skyrocketing bills down the road.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTNS_TX View Post
By the way, does anyone have current insight into the Roxborough water troubles?

I've read and seen the coverage of the Summer 05 stuff, and I know all this snow this winter will help matters in the short term, but leasing water is a new concept for me and I'm wondering if there's a threat of skyrocketing bills down the road.
You may want to check out the Roxborough Water & Sanitation website.
http://www.roxwater.com/

Old 01-13-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks for that link Ben.

Eeesh. When the water district's "Alternatives" page basically says, "We're way more expensive and really don't know what to do about it," you've got to be a little concerned.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:58 PM

I agree, it is cause for concern. You may want to give them a call on Monday and see if they can offer additional information. I don't think you need to worry about running out of water, but I would be concerned about future water prices.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:34 PM

11,517 posts, read 50,277,332 times
Functionally, a lot of the metro water districts depended upon the surplus capacity (and senior water rights) of Denver to provide them with water.

In the recent drought cycle, some municipalites have run out of water for domestic use as Denver's growth and senior commitments have used up most of the available water.

While it looks like the drought cycle is easing up right now, growth patterns are outstripping available water. Colorado recently recognized that certain ag water supplies/wells were straining domestic water supplies and required a lot of farmers to shut down their irrigation wells unless they could prove a replenishment of the acquifers from another source (water right). That resulted in disastrous problems for many farmers who could not irrigate their crops, but did appear to help domestic water supplies in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver