Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:20 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times

Advertisements

What parts of Denver or metro Denver currently and/or historically have had a significant (or sizeable) Italian populace? Someone mentioned Lakewood (and its Belmar section) but didn't seem totally certain.

Are there any small sections with a "Little Italy" feel and vibe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Denver's *original* Italian neighborhood was northwest Denver, the Highlands area. This was years ago.
Some history--scroll down
I believe Pagliacci's is still there, on 33rd. I used to love their minestrone.
But these days, AFAIK, Italians are spread out (and so are their restaurants).

Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Denver's *original* Italian neighborhood was northwest Denver, the Highlands area. This was years ago.
Some history--scroll down
I believe Pagliacci's is still there, on 33rd. I used to love their minestrone.
But these days, AFAIK, Italians are spread out (and so are their restaurants).
Little Italy pretty much moved to Arvada and Lakewood in the 60's and 70's. Pagliacci's is still going strong, Willow, as is Gaetano's, now owned by mayor Hick's group. The Sons of Italy and Potenza still have their summer festivals and are very popular. I played in a recent Bocce tournament, and we lost to some hardy Italian guys in their 80's and 90's!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Little Italy pretty much moved to Arvada and Lakewood in the 60's and 70's.
Lakewood location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
The Sons of Italy and Potenza still have their summer festivals and are very popular.
Location?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Louisville is a historical Italian town. The Blue Parrot restaurant, owned by the Colacci-Caranci family is a landmark in downtown. There will be a bocce tournament on the 4th of July:

http://www.ci.louisville.co.us/Annou...uly4th2008.pdf

Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
THat's one thing I miss about Ohio, the strong Italian communnity that I had there.

I'm really dissapointed that Colorado Springs does not have a Sons Of Italy lodge.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
You're looking in the wrong city if you want ethnic neighborhoods of any kind. No Jewish Delis, Polish bakeries, Vietnamese grocery stores, Turkish butchers, or the kind of stuff you'd see in Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, or East Coast cities like Boston, Philly, or NYC.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You're looking in the wrong city if you want ethnic neighborhoods of any kind. No Jewish Delis, Polish bakeries, Vietnamese grocery stores, Turkish butchers, or the kind of stuff you'd see in Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, or East Coast cities like Boston, Philly, or NYC.
This is true. I really missed that when we first moved here. Now, I think it's good that there's not so much talk about "what ARE you?" Though there is a fairly large Vietnamese community with shops, restaurants and the like on S. Federal.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Lakewood location?

Location?
There are still many Italians in N. Denver, but most have spread out into Lakewood and Arvada. The Potenza Lodge is at 1900 W. 38th Ave., east of Federal a few blocks. Sons of Italy is at 5925 W. 32nd Ave. BellMar also hosts a big Italian festival every summer. Its where Villa Italia used to be.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You've got two pretty good Jewish delis fairly close by. The New York Deli News on E. Hampden, and The Bagel at Monaco and Hampden. There's also Helgas German Deli at 6th and Peoria. No Vietnamese community or grocery stores, eh? Well head to S. Federal Blvd. and you'll find them everywhere. Many in Aurora as well. Denver is also home to a good sized Greek community. Visit the Greek Festival sometime. Held every June at the Greek Orthodox Church on E. Alameda Ave., smack dab in the middle of a predominently Jewish neighborhood!
Yeah, for Polish Bakeries and Turkish butchers, you pretty much need to be east of the big rivers. I would prefer my butcher over a Turkish one anyway. Worth the drive. Edward's Meats in Wheat Ridge at 44th and Ward Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver