Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times

Advertisements

I think I'll write up a White National Anthem just to see how Sharpton and his ilk like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
you guys are dolls.

I really just don't know what she was thinking. Media ploy? Maybe. It worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmakairos View Post
Fine, I did it for you then.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Hi!

What's with the info on the Wars? Did someone mistakenly make an assumption?

Anyway, you have a really good point about how it was a weak media ploy, if in fact that was her game. Which would then lead one to think that she had other motives. And then to conclude that the morons making a big deal out of it are well, just morons.

As I said before, I suppose the problem here is that the mayor had the understanding (from her) that she would be singing the anthem and she just did something else. That's really the only problem I see here. And according to Hick, she did apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Well, it certainly made the local news in Philly and NYC this evening as well. It came on about 15 minutes in though and was very slight coverage - although it was the big teaser of the night for the news.

And actually the Star Spangled Banner is from a poem written about a battle during the War of 1812, not the Revolutionary War (sorry, it's the 5th grade teacher in me coming out)

I think when asked to sing the National Anthem, one should sing the accepted anthem of that nation, not their personal idea of what the anthem should be, but I certainly wouldn't bother to call a news crew over it if I were witness to it. If it is some kinda of ploy, it's pretty weak.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 AM

Denver and downtown: Really good thoughts. And it is amazing how many people are ruffled about it. That's why I started this post. I was really curious to see what my fellow Denverians (sorry Denver!) thought about this hoopla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
And it did do that- looks how people are talking!

I was listening to them talk about it on the radio this morning, and it's amazing how upset some people are over this whole thing. I heard one man call into the radio station suggesting that we try her for treason, and another suggested that we deport her to France- that is just ridiculous.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Well, it certainly made the local news in Philly and NYC this evening as well. It came on about 15 minutes in though and was very slight coverage - although it was the big teaser of the night for the news.

And actually the Star Spangled Banner is from a poem written about a battle during the War of 1812, not the Revolutionary War (sorry, it's the 5th grade teacher in me coming out)

I think when asked to sing the National Anthem, one should sing the accepted anthem of that nation, not their personal idea of what the anthem should be, but I certainly wouldn't bother to call a news crew over it if I were witness to it. If it is some kinda of ploy, it's pretty weak.
Opps. meant to say the war of Bombardment by the Royal Navy in Baltimore...

Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Hi!

What's with the info on the Wars? Did someone mistakenly make an assumption?
"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States of America. The lyrics come from a poem written in 1814 by Francis Scott Key, a then 35-year-old amateur poet who wrote "Defence of Fort McHenry"[1] after seeing the bombardment of Fort McHenry at Baltimore, Maryland, by Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the War of 1812.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:04 PM

My post was to mczabe. I see this thread has gone wayyyy off topic. I really wasn't too interested in the history of the natl. anthem. But thanks.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:04 PM

272 posts, read 620,999 times
It's no surprise that our country is failing. "Black National Anthem?" Who the hell came up with this idea? "Lift Every Voice and Sing" is something I recall singing during my childhood at school in music. It was never labeled as anything. It was just a song.

I wish the concept of race would die an immediate death already.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:05 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
My post was to mczabe. I see this thread has gone wayyyy off topic. I really wasn't too interested in the history of the natl. anthem. But thanks.
Well, despite our best intentions, threads seem to go where they want to go...kinda like rivers.

BTW, I only brought up the history aspect because someone posted it was about the Revolutionary War, which wasn't accurate. Happy Fourth!

Last edited by mczabe; 07-04-2008 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM

mczabe: thanks for the clarification. I was wondering how we ended up talking about wars!

ronald: you and I both re: race. But unfortunately, I'm quite cynical and skeptical, and I really doubt the race issue and the U.S. will ever end. But for one exception: If we are attacked by aliens. Then we'll all band together and no one will care about race. But I just saw The Mist this weekend, and even in the event of a total disaster, race was still an issue. : (
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: