U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 09:59 PM

37 posts, read 162,106 times

Advertisements

I am looking in Greenwood Village but I see that homes in the same general area are less with a Centenial or Englewood address. Cherry Hills schools are important to us. If we are in CHSD, is the extra $$ worth spending to be in GV? what does being in Greenwood Village offer that the adjacent areas do not? what justifies the higher home values? thanks for the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 PM

210 posts, read 1,311,486 times
I think you're thinking of Cherry Creek School district, since Cherry Hills is part of the Cherry Creek School district..... it is a very good district, but it is not limited to Cherry Hills and Greenwood Village. It also covers most of Centennial, parts of Aurora, and unincorporated Arapahoe County. So if your goal is to be in CCSD, I would recommend expanding your search beyond Greenwood Village, to areas where you can get more house for your money.
Greenwood Village is a destination town-- you pay for the address. It is a very nice area-- very well kept, close to the DTC and shopping, and some of it carries over from neighboring Cherry Hills. If you can afford it, and are willing to pay that much for a house, you can't go wrong with GV. But that being said, you will be paying more for a house in GV than a similar house in Centennial or Littleton.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 AM

11,686 posts, read 32,839,689 times
GV is a city, not just an address. I remember South Denver Guy lives there and has posted about the amenities. (you can find these posts by using the search tool)

If you can afford to live there you can get a nice house for a lot more money. If you are more cost conscious and want a nicer house for less money look at GV's neighboring cities.

If you want a home in the CCSD you can look in Centennial, SE Denver and south Aurora.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 AM

37 posts, read 162,106 times
Default thanks, I did meaan Cherry Creek Schools but...

in your informed opinions is there a appreciable diffierence to living within GV that justifies the higher prices or am I just paying more for a name?

Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 PM

226 posts, read 1,330,061 times
You are paying more for the name, but when it comes time for you to sell the buyer will also pay more to live in Greenwood Village. I look at real estate as an investment in addition to where you live. Personally I would buy the least expensive house in GV that suites your needs provided that the mortgage payment is less than 25% of your income.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,629 times
There are intangible benefits to living in GV vs. the surrounding cities. The largest contrast would be to Aurora. While CCSD extends into Aurora, CCSD schools in Aurora are not the same caliber as Cherry Creek High School (attended by GV residents). More specifically, the type of people and education level will differ between these cities. This is evidenced by the level of education in these cities (see the demographic profiles). Always being in a clean environment surrounded by smart people will provide intangible benefits that may not be evidenced until your children are ready to go to College, but I can assure you that there is a clear difference in the caliber or people when comparing GV to the other cities you mentioned. Cherry Creek High School may post the % of graduates that go on to college and what types of colleges their students attend. You will likely find a greater % of students going out of state (not that CO colleges are bad, they are great) and to top 25 schools from Cherry Creek than the other schools in CCSD. Finally, if your children are into sports, the programs at Cherry Creek are difficult to beat. My parents moved out of Aurora and into GV with 4 kids. Money was tight but now graduates from USC, UCLA, Yale and Columbia was in large part due to the move into GV. Ideas of these types of schools may not even be introduced in other cities.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:20 PM

5,493 posts, read 11,799,941 times
We live in the Cherry Creek School District, but we are in unincorporated Arapahoe County. Our mailing address is either Englewood or Centennial (both work). Greenwood Village is on two sides of us and Centennial is on two sides, and we are no-where near Aurora. We are just blocks from DTC and the price range in our neighborhood is currently in the low to mid $300,000's. Our neighborhood is on the east side of I-25; there are other neighborhoods on the west side that are also in CCSD where the prices are slightly higher, but still lower than most in GV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver