Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 PM

40 posts, read 180,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I looked at the thread over on Pittsburgh as well, and I don't think anyone was being very judgemental, either here or there (and that's saying something for that forum)! JMO.
No, no... I may have phrased that wrong. No one has been rude or judgemental.

I was just trying to nip that whole thing in the bud because I saw it going in the wrong direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 PM

40 posts, read 180,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Maybe not...

Some Effects of Alcohol and Simulated Altitude on Complex Performance Scores and Breathanalyzer Readings, (http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier= ADA158925 - broken link)

Interesting. What I read is that altitude does not have an effect on B.A.C.; however, the article does not really address the effects of "intoximacation, occifer": based on lack of oxygen.

Alcoholics can have B.A.C.'s of .15 and seem stone cold sober.

Tiny little 5 foot tall, 100 lb. girl who's never drank could have a legal BAC under .08 and could be Drunk-dialing, hug-everyone in the bar, wasted.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5starson23 View Post
REALLY?

Or is this just one of those urban myths about Denver?
I am originally from WI and I personally never noticed the difference. Booze was much cheaper back there. None of that 3.2 B.S. either.

Does the amount of oxygen in Denver really get you more intoxicated more quickly?
Not as much as being at 10,000 feet does.

Do people also snore more in Denver?
I've never heard that. Good for allergies, bad for asthma.

Do people from Denver have to drink more when they go to lower altitude citiese like Portland or Chicago?
Not in my personal experience. Just got back from Milwaukee on Monday.

Does caffeine have a stronger effect?
Not that I have noticed.

I am not trying to be a smart ass, I have seriously wondered this stuff.
Starting July 1st liquor stores in CO are now open on Sunday. As others have mentioned unless you want watered down swill from Safeway you need to go to an actual liquor store. Back in WI it is not uncommon for a gas station to have a full liquor, wine, and beer section in it.

I have heard in PA that all the liquor stores are owned and operated by the state. Not sure if that means they're necessarily going to be any stricter though.

Last call in Denver is at 1:30 A.M. and bar close is at 2:00 A.M. Pretty lame IMO.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Yeah PA REALLY sucks when it comes to booze. They sell NO ALCOHOL of any kind at any store.

You have to go to a beer distributor warehouse (sort of like a drivethough for liquor) And get your beer there. In any given town, there's maybe 3 or 4 of them scattered across the city.

It is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Yeah PA REALLY sucks when it comes to booze. They sell NO ALCOHOL of any kind at any store.

You have to go to a beer distributor warehouse (sort of like a drivethough for liquor) And get your beer there. In any given town, there's maybe 3 or 4 of them scattered across the city.

It is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

It really is kind of the same thing in Co though. You can buy beer in the grocery store but it was 3%. So nobody ever bought it. You would have to go to the beer stores to buy them. The difference is, in CO the beer and liquor is sold in the same store. In PA beer is sold buy private owners, and liqour is sold by State stores.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM

224 posts, read 559,558 times
When I moved to Denver from DC, I was dismayed that I had to go to a special store to buy wine, and couldn't buy it on Sundays! I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to buy wine on Saturday, then on Sunday (when I often had time to cook a special meal) couldn't get it. Pointless! I think it is a reflection of morally judgemental values that are widespread in this state. (I've also gotten reactions ranging from sneering to repugnance when mentioning that I don't eat meat...but that's another topic.)

Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,106 times
As Katiana stated, the laws just changed. It has been 75 years since Denverites were able to buy liquor on Sunday, with the exception of 3.2 beer at the grocery stores or drinks in a bar on a Sunday. We now join 34 other states with this law passage.

Colorado liquor stores gearing up for Sunday sales - The Denver Post

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Customers line up for liquor on Sunday for first time in 75 years (http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=95235 - broken link)

Keep a sober approach to Sunday liquor sales - The Denver Post

The grocery stores are now going to push to be able to sell full strength alcohol since they only made profits on Sunday with the 3.2. There is no push for convenience stores or gas stations to sell 6.0 or any kind of liquor.

Altitude doesn't make a difference for me. The bars here stop serving liquor and close at 2:00 AM. Most other cities stop serving at 2:00 AM but some of the larger cities have clubs that stay open till 4:00 or 5:00. I only know of one here called "2:00 AM" that opens at like midnight and stays open till the sun comes up. Juice, soda and water is served after 2:00 if anything here, or in most cities, is open till the wee hours. City officials are considering letting Lodo bars cease serving at 2:00, as is the current law, but staying open till 3:00 or 4:00 so the Alpha Males can sober up instead of letting them loose on the streets to punch it out for no reason. Bars open at 7:00 AM for the hard core/professional drinkers!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,093 times
Point of clarification. Currently, each grocery chain is able to sell alcohol (not just 3.2) at one location in the state. Therefore, you can find a full array of alcohol at the Target in Glendale or the Whole Foods on Hampden. I think there is either a Safeway or King Soopers in Littleton that sells as well. Considering that the current trend is to modernize CO liquor laws, it is likely that grocery stores will be able to carry full alcohol at all stores soon.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
. . . I think there is either a Safeway or King Soopers in Littleton that sells as well. . .
Yes, the Safeway at Mineral and Broadway in Littleton sells liquor.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,106 times
That is correct Augie, thanks. The Sam's Club at Alameda and Broadway sells all the booze you could ever want and they are not a liquor store. Additionally, the one other place to get liquor on a Sunday is at church!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver