Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 20,018 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Minneapolis to Denver (hopefully the Highlands area) in September. I really enjoy hockey and one of the highlights of my week is a Wednesday night pick up hockey game where everyone (about 20 people) throws in $10 each to pay for the ice time. The game is very informal and all skill levels are welcomed. These groups are pretty common around Minneapolis and I have skated with 3 different groups in the six years I have been here.

My question is: Are there groups like this in Denver and does anyone know how I can get in contact with them? If you don't know, is there somewhere better to search? All info will be appreciated.

I plan on asking this question in some Avalanche and DU forums as well.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM

168 posts, read 622,095 times
Default hockey

Hi - Try Real groups make a real difference - Meetup.com then plug in Denver and "pick up hockey games", etc. I network with a lot of groups that I've found on Real groups make a real difference - Meetup.com. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I would also suggest checking with the local ice rinks. I think the YMCA in Lafayette has such games; other ice rinks I know of in the NW area are Superior Ice, and the Sun Microsystems rink in Westminster.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:34 PM

164 posts, read 596,001 times
Former minneapolitan offering this advice: you won't find any rink hockey outdoors here (hugely unfortunate). But, you will find organized hockey at many levels. I play in a league at Big Bear Ice rink (sort of near the highlands area) and they have this drop-in hockey on fridays and saturdays. $10 fee. Varying skill levels, but as long as you can skate and have equipment you can play. They have leagues that play on different weeknights as well over 3 month seasons.
Check www.road9.com redirect I think there's also drop-in at Denver University.
There is outdoor hockey at Evergreen lake which is about a 30 min drive into the mountains, but it pales in comparison to Lake of the Isles or even Bryant park.

Go North Stars......

Old 07-23-2008, 10:21 AM

49 posts, read 180,825 times
There is very limited top level hockey here in Colorado, shocking to me but it is few and far between. Theres a few drop ins here and there but the only solid skates are invitation only. I might be able to help you out a bit and will happily do so if i can. About what level do you play at? I skate a couple nights with a great group, all ex-pro and div 1. Theres also a solid league in westminster (yes a hike for me) but it is the best league around. Lower levels seem to have alot more options around here, at that rate you can pick just about any rink and they will have something.

I actually live on the lake in Evergreen and there is ONE pick up on sat mornings that is worth while. I grew up on a lake in Buffalo, NY and played pro hockey myself so i can tell you these guys can play.

good luck!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 20,018 times
icewater: I had pretty much accepted that I would be giving up outdoor hockey with the move. I'll give Evergreen a try when the weathers right.

wilczy: I am nowhere near pro level, but would love to watch the skate. Twice I have been at skates (where I was in the lower end of the talent) and a lower level former D-1 player showed up and effortlessly walked around everyone. I like to think that I would be solid high 3rd liner. How many rinks do they maintain on Evergreen?

Thanks to the others. All information has been helpful.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM

164 posts, read 596,001 times
On Evergreen Lake there's a large no-sticks rink for general skating, and there are 4 or 6 1/2-size hockey rinks with goals. Unfortunately there are no boards and the ice is very dangerous in spots where a crack has formed. Admission is $5.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 PM

49 posts, read 180,825 times
yeah thats about right for lake evergreen, although, rumor has it a new person is running the show and will hopefully fix the ice. it CAN be much better if it were taken care of properly. but you get a wonderful view of the mountains while you skate and clean fresh air. nothing like back east (i also grew up on lakes) but def reminds you growing up outside.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,337 times
Default other pickup hockey ideas

In Minneapolis and other areas you can find pickup hockey at [url=http://www.pickuphockeyfinder.com]Pickup Hockey Finder[/url]

We are also trying to find organizers in other cities to post their games. Its free. Our desire is for people to be able to find a pickup hockey game in any metro area all on one site, for free.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,400 times
Hockey is good here, but pick up opportunities are low on ice. I know here there actually have outdoor rinks specifically set up for roller hockey, with boards and all. I play at the sun microsystems rink in westminister for ice. You could climb 11,000 feet to an alpine lake and have a game, a test of endurance to be sure, but definately a story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver