Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:05 AM

49 posts, read 202,413 times

Advertisements

In have been here long enough (4 months) to officially declare Denver a very tolerant and open minded city.

We might not have the minority numbers of other major cities, but as a minority myself, mixed, I feel extremely welcomed and comfortable here.

If your definition of diversity is black and white, then you would be disappointed. Diversity in Denver includes Asian, Hispanic, Blacks, European, African, the list goes on. If you are looking for a town where blacks are the minority majority like in Atlanta, GA, Detroit, MI or Washington DC, you will be disappointed but that maybe because you yourself do not accept diversity in welcoming minorities from other races/cultures.

Overall, I am shocked as I am loving it here much more than I expected as I visited here some months ago and diversity was a concern of mine but it is no longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 12:21 AM

49 posts, read 202,413 times
BTW, my bias towards labeling Denver as a diverse and tolerant city come from my experiences living in Miami, New York, DC, Atlanta, San Jose and San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 AM

49 posts, read 180,892 times
really. im shocked. i live in denver area and moved from LA. Previously lived in Boston and NY and have travelled to every major city in north america. Denver is one of the least diverse towns ive been to, and im not talking black/white either. Denver simply lacks in culture and diversity... sadly, thats the main reason were moving.

but im happy that you like it! everyone is different and the fact you enjoy it here is great... best of luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilczy View Post
really. im shocked. i live in denver area and moved from LA. Previously lived in Boston and NY and have travelled to every major city in north america. Denver is one of the least diverse towns ive been to, and im not talking black/white either. Denver simply lacks in culture and diversity... sadly, thats the main reason were moving.

but im happy that you like it! everyone is different and the fact you enjoy it here is great... best of luck.
LA is extremely diverse, so much so that it is not the norm in the United States. The same can be said for New York.

Boston is about as diverse as Denver. You can check out the U.S. Bureau of the Census if you'd like.

Why all the the talk of "diversity", though? How does "diversity" make an area better? It doesn't. We all know that such talk against more homogeneous areas is geared toward white areas, as though there is something wrong with them. To suggest this is to suggest that there is something wrong with white people and white areas. In considering America's history, in that non-whites weren't allowed into the U.S. in large numbers until 1965, it's crazy to act as though there's something wrong with white people and white areas.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:28 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,921 times
I am also wondering why such emphasis on diversity... Yes it is a great feature but I am not sure it would influence me enough to the point that I would move away from any one place because a lack of it.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
I'll tell you why -- to the above posters. Try living just one day as a non-white. It's impossible really. Unless you were on that show Black & White produced by Ice Cube. There, they professionally remade people into another race. And boy did those people get a wake up call. Really though, my suggestion is to just try to understand what living in an all-white area is like if you are not white.

Nothing wrong with white areas. Perhaps it's not necessarily the whiteness that people are concerned with. I myself, crave more culture. More international stuff. Places like Little Havana come to mind vs. a three block area called, well, you know what I'm saying.

Also, I think a lot of people really want to come here, but are coming from the big cities where it really is diverse. They want that, just want to leave the big city behind. Just a thought. Not trying to offend anyone. Just opinionated. Really opinionated.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Huh. I agree with the last two posts.

I'm white, so what do I know about the challenges of others? I don't. I do know about food though, and the food in LA and the City is amazing. It's also pretty neat to be around so much diversity and just see everyone doing their biz.

When I was down in Atlanta and trippin' around on Marta and going to the Underground to get some goat and Jamaican Jerk food, I WAS the minority. And I was fine with it. It should be that way everywhere.

Ah, a WAR song is rising to my head...

Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM

oh food, don't even get me started. So yeah, how diverse a city is would definitely influence food. I'm afraid of moving to Miami, I'll need to get down to skin and bones first so that when I'm done eating all that Cuban food I can get back to regular size. If that makes sense. haha

And McGowdog, thanks for the rep. Not to undermine what you said about Atlanta and being the minority, remember, it's different to live it everyday, for your entire life, and for all the days of your future. It affects every aspect of your life, work, love, everything.

Goat? ew. My husband tried it in Jamaica and I felt like I was eating dog. But jerk chicken? I'd go back just to eat that. They have it here in the states, but it's just not the same. : (

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilczy View Post

Where do you live in Denver? The city itself, or far out in the 'burbs? Are you a minority and feel discriminated against? In my daily life, I interract with people who are black (I'm talking outside my own bi-racial home), Hispanic, Asian, Russian, and Indian-Asian. But I really don't think about it at all and see all my friends and neighbors as just people, regardless of race. We lived in Orange County for years and our neighborhood was less diverse (mostly white) than where we live in Denver. There are neighborhoods surrounding mine where the majority of residents are black and Hispanic, and lots of ethnic food nearby on Colfax.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM

hmm, I agree Denverian. But maybe it's just the level of ethnicity. I'm thinking, well, there are a handful of Moroccan places on Colfax, but in L.A. there are tens of them in one tiny neighborhood. Just a bigger city with bigger populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver