Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:06 PM

572 posts, read 548,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolife View Post
Great, I'll check it out, Let's just hope they have some blue crabs.

YUM! Oh, and i guess I'll have to find a steamer too...
live blue crabs are much more seasonal as to availability locally - and sell out quickly when available...
live dungeness are available most of the year...

you can also hit up the local "asian boil" restaurants in town -- they will have all kinds of seafood
they boil or steam the items, and throw them in a bag with the sauce of your choice...

Some of the one's i've went to (and would go to again) are:
Yabby Hut - Wadsworth, Lakewood; Crawing Crab - Federal, Denver; Crazy Asian Cajun, Alameda, Denver

Quote:
Oh, for those of you not from the Mid-Atlantic...Live steamed crabs with Old Bay seasoning is the only way to go!
Cajuns will season the water heavily with "crab boil" seasoning - powder and liquid concentrate - then boil them

a local trick down there is: after boiling to done -- adding ICE to the boiling pot... the claim is that the change from hot to cold draws the seasoned water into the body of the crab, shrimp, or crawfish being cooked thus increasing the flavoring's seasoning power -- it also stops the cooking process to avoid overcooked seafood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:40 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,542,973 times
If you were planning to visit Denver for 5-7 days and were contemplating utilizing the light-rail system to see the city provided you picked a hotel which offers a free shuttle to the nearest station (I know of hotels in Greenwood Village & Aurora as well as in the Cherry Creek area that do), would renting a car REALLY be mandatory?

Old 07-21-2015, 04:47 PM

6,649 posts, read 9,201,779 times
Unless you plan on using the bus system as well, it's best to rent a car. The light rail doesn't (yet) go to the north, northwest, northeast, or east of downtown. If you want to visit Boulder, Aurora, Thornton, Brighton, etc., or even get to your hotel from the airport, you would need to take the bus or a taxi.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,542,973 times
Thanks for the prompt reply. Is the link to the airport still on track to be opened next year?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:52 AM

531 posts, read 1,140,802 times
Yes, the airport commuter rail line, along with three other new rail lines are expected to open next year.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,074,776 times
Where we live in NW Parker, Douglas County, it takes us about 3 1/2 minutes to get to the Lincoln light rail station. The garage gets crowded, but you'll be able to find a place to park.

Coming from deeper in Parker though, you might be better off heading straight up to the Parker Road station in SE Aurora like somebody mentioned earlier on in this thread.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be negative....but the light rail here doesn't hold a candle to the DC metro system. Now that's not really a fair comparison as DC's metro system is nearly 40 years old and services an area more than twice the size of Denver metro. Just making the point that, if you've been used to the DC metro system for most of your life, don't expect the same thing when arriving here in the Mile-High. But the Denver light rail does a good job of what it was built to do: getting people from the suburbs into and around the city. It's convenient and a easy way to toot around out here.

You'll be among friends out here, as there are thousands and thousands of DC-area transplants in the Denver area, many of them federal gov't like you and your husband. I was born and raised Silver Spring. Go Redskins!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 PM

402 posts, read 366,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Just making the point that, if you've been used to the DC metro system for most of your life, don't expect the same thing when arriving here in the Mile-High. But the Denver light rail does a good job of what it was built to do: getting people from the suburbs into and around the city.
Isn't that exactly what the DC metro does? I used to ride the orange line from Vienna into DC all the time, and the one time I took the light rail from DTC to Union Station in Denver, I didn't notice anything that the DC metro was significantly better about, other than maybe train frequency.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:05 PM

531 posts, read 1,140,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
Isn't that exactly what the DC metro does? I used to ride the orange line from Vienna into DC all the time, and the one time I took the light rail from DTC to Union Station in Denver, I didn't notice anything that the DC metro was significantly better about, other than maybe train frequency.
The few times I've ridding the DC metro, I found it to run far more frequently (during all parts of the day) and was faster than Denver's LRT.

This makes sense considering a Metro system is engineered quite a bit differently than a LRT system.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:31 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,074,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
Good point, and maybe I could've worded it better.

Again, wasn't trying to be negative in any way, just saying that DC Metro is a bit more efficient. even during non-rush hour, a train comes every 5-7 minutes (not sure if that's the case here, I don't think it is).

DC's metro is the 2nd busiest in the country after New York, and has 91 stations. Plus the DC metro is a lot more spread out, vs Denver is mostly just downtown and goes south to littleton and Lone Tree, and most recently out west otwards Lakewood. if you look at the two, it's not even close.

But i'll just end this, don't mean to hijack the thread or anything. again, was just trying to tell her that, as someone who is used to arguably one of the biggest and most spread out metro systems in the country in DC, she shouldn't come out here expecting the light rail to be the same thing. But nevermind. My bad.

Go Broncos!

Last edited by skins_fan82; 07-23-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 01:35 PM

572 posts, read 548,530 times
On the good side, we don't seem to have the unscheduled delays that the Metro riders sometimes have to deal with...
I guess this is likely due to age and number of trains on the tracks (cascading trouble, when problems arise)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver