Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,765,271 times

Advertisements

SLC is in a better position with water than Denver. That will be good in the long run, and the LDS population is slowly getting smaller in Utah....but they still run the show. Utah is the type of place where a recommendation from your bishop is very helpful if you're looking for a job.

The pollution is horrible in SLC in the wintertime.

Other than that, Utah is absolutely beautiful and doesn't have people stacked on top of each other as much as Denver. If you're comfortable being a minority, its definitely worth a trip to check it out.

Evanston, WY would also be worth a trip if you're near SLC. Lots of Mormons live there, but they don't run the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 04:24 PM

360 posts, read 1,123,162 times
Wow, where was this forum six years ago when I moved from Texas to Salt Lake City? So I'm not from here, been here almost six years, grew up in Texas, lived on the East Coast for a while, so you could say I'm a definite outsider. Now, I live right downtown, near the TRAX and Trolley Square, so I don't feel like an outsider, and in six years have never been hit on by missionaries for a potential conversion. Anyhow, I don't ski, but I do like going up the mountains on a hot summer day to go biking. I also like the escape up the mountains in the winter when the smog is at its very, very worst. Winters here have been dreary, I can recall an entire month in January one year where the very thick haze just settled in after a big snow storm. Yet, when I flew out of town we got out of the muck in just under a minute and were under perfect blue skies.

That being said, I just don't feel like I fit in very well here (even with the 50/50 mix in the city) and things haven't actually progressed as I had hoped, career wise, and personally. Sometimes I feel the people are very much into themselves, but I've also met some nice people. Now, after some long soul searching and even delays for various reasons, I'm packing up for Denver. In fact, I'm going this weekend for my first serious relocation trip. Now, I've been going to CO for sometime, as I do now have family in the State, so for me it's a no brainer, I know where I prefer and I'm looking for a much more city-urban lifestyle than SLC can provide. Not to say there is no urban feel here, but it is much less urban that what I'm looking for. So to say go to Utah, I'd probably just say it wasn't the right fit for me, then or now.

BTW, I look forward to hitting the Denver bars without my stack of membership cards, lol!!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:57 PM

17,921 posts, read 27,317,512 times
I've usually only seen Utah when driving from Colorado to Vegas for business or whatever... reason. So I'm a bit familiar with Utah along I-70 and I-15 south to St. George. When travelling along 70 west, what an amazing place! It's like being on Mars or Venus or something!

Prior to a couple of weeks ago, I've only seen SLC via the airport. We just drove from Colorado to NoCal via I-80, so I got to see SLC a bit. Oh, I did also drive from Seattle to home a couple of years ago, so I saw Ogden a bit back then.

This time, as we drove from Wyoming into Utah, there was this fantastic lake! Near Coalville I guess. Echo? Echo Res? Anyway, it was into Park City prior to SLC, and I was impressed. It looked like a pretty cool and upscale resort town. Then SLC looked pretty compact and intimate to me. I'd like to stop in and check it out sometime. The booze issue isn't a problem for me anymore. Neither is the tobacco thing. Now if I could just stop with the coffee! Anyway, I would really like to check out the Tabernacle. We saw it from the road. The place was huge! But we had some road to burn as we were heading to Elko as we had reservations for the night on our way to the Redwoods in Humboldt County the next day.

As we left SLC, we saw the airport and that was pretty much it. Just Morton Salt Company and some white stuff off in the distance...for many many miles! This stuff wasn't snow either . Check it out;

Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM

792 posts, read 3,128,130 times
IIRC the 80s movie w/Kevin Bacon - Footloose - was filmed in some part of UT. Can anyone verify?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,469,517 times
If you have to ask, move to Utah.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM

40 posts, read 155,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
If you have to ask, move to Utah.
Didn't realize this forum was only for people who were 100% certain that CO is the best.

Thanks to all who provided input. We're going to go check out what are said to be the more "progressive" areas of SLC and then make a decision. Certainly CO has a lot going for it...just want to look into all options!!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 PM

12 posts, read 34,988 times
So I have officially lived in Colorado and Utah....

My observations..

Colorado, much friendlier and easier to fit in if you are not LDS (there are very few there compared to Utah).. feel much more accepted in Colorado.

The winter in Colorado seems much sunnier (even though it does snow a lot at times) and slightly warmer on avg.

People (the LDS) in Utah seem to shun you if you do not share the religion.. I have seen them take preference of people of their own religion just because of religion, not skill or need (like jobs).

SLC area has tech jobs, probably more so than denver, but when you factor in the cold shoulder LDS preference, finding work there turns out to much harder than I expected.

Utah drivers scare me more than Colorado.. they ride your butt even in ice and snow then wonder why they rear ended you..

Colorado does have substantial amounts of hail (and tornadoes) at times (on the front range and east)

Utah is super strict on many things like alcohol, bars,etc... no lottery etc... (I thought there was suppose to be a separation of church and state????)

Pollution, bad in both, much worse in SLC

Salt Lake City is closer to ski and recreational areas for hiking, camping etc... however, Colorado parks like Roosevelt, Arapahoe, Rocky Mtn Park, etc... seem well worth the extra time to get to... Although utah does boast good skiing.

My overall opinion is Utah has some really neat places to visit, but is not worth living in, esp if you are not LDS, even though Colorado has some issues to, I do not feel surrounded by stuck up society.. where you have to watch your step when going out for the night, but Colorado is much more relaxed when it comes to that. Yes The front range and east has some serious weather at times... but honestly that is a small price to pay for much nicer people and better overall atmosphere... It seems the more strict the rules are in an area the crabbier the people are..?

I could go on but i will stop for now.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 AM

331 posts, read 987,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfsmail View Post
(I thought there was suppose to be a separation of church and state????)
lol, That's a myth in this country. Just sounds good on paper, but doesn't exist here.

I've never been to Utah, so am not the best person to answer the OP's question, but as far as skiing goes, how often do you ski now? Were you planning on being able to ski mid-week?

If you get a job that allows you to work weekends and take a couple weekdays off instead, you'll have much easier access to the mountains, due to little ski traffic. I live about a 7-minute walk to a ski resort, so I get the opportunity to go snowboarding on my lunch breaks. There have been many weekends that I'll go hiking and backcountry snowboarding instead, due to the large crowds at resorts.

Either way, if you don't get to go skiing often now as it is, is it really that big of a deal to drive an extra hour / hour-and-a-half to go skiing all day?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 AM

27 posts, read 92,888 times
Id reccomend the Boulder area its at the foothillz of the mountains and is 20 min from downtown denver and would be really close to ski areas and plus has great housing.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM

11 posts, read 28,883 times
Default @pdfsmail - I hope CO remains tolerate and doesn't become another Utah

I'm beginning to wonder if the LDS doesn't have more influence than it should, in beautiful Colorado. The church is building a temple in Fort Collins (Finally In Fort Collins: LDS Church abandons previously released temple size, when announcing its actual location?). As someone who is not LDS, this concerns me. My brother lived in Utah and thought it was beautiful. But he found the LDS influence unbearable. It seems odd to me that they would choose Fort Collins. I believe we were the second blueist state in the last election (second only to liberal Boulder). I'm not what I'd consider "liberal" but I fear the influence of an LDS Temple in this region. I hope it doesn't spoil our amazing city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver