Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:38 AM

275 posts, read 1,471,229 times

Advertisements

Looking for something different to do this weekend (July 26-27)? You might want to check this out:

Welcome to the Colorado Dragon Boat Festival

Join us for the 8th Annual Colorado Dragon Boat Festival!http://cdbf.org/images/38-race-400px.jpg (broken link)

Two days is hardly enough time to soak in the culture and flavor of the world’s most populous continent, but the Colorado Dragon Boat Festival comes close. The Colorado Dragon Boat Festival (CDBF), a free family-friendly festival highlighting Colorado’s rich Asian Pacific American heritage, returns for its 8th year to Sloan’s Lake Park in northwest Denver July 26-27, 2008.
A window to the Pan Asian world, this diverse weekend festival is the only one of its kind in the United States. It showcases an array of traditional and contemporary performing artists, cultural customs and cuisine from Asia and the Pacific, eclectic and exotic shopping opportunities in the Marketplace, in addition to two days of competitive dragon boat racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 09:45 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Wait a sec here... what's this? I thought Denver had no diversity and culture?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Wait a sec here... what's this? I thought Denver had no diversity and culture?
There's also the 2nd annual Russian Festival in Glendale today.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Vegas: You dork, a lot of us said that it's just smaller here than in other cities. But hey, as I've always said:

Disclaimer: Denver is a good city with many things going for it. I will always call it my home. It is just on a smaller scale than other cities.

So while I have this list of why I want to move, part of the list of why I like Denver is the festivals. Man, there is a festival for every group here. Just this summer I've been to two bbq festivals, a few wine festivals, green chili festivals (omg the best ones are coming up in the next month or two) and then there's the German festival, among so many I've probably forgotten to list them.

This one is pretty neat, the Dragon Boat. I'm tired of it, but I've seen it many times. If you've never been, go early, it gets hot. Good thing is the lake is smallish so you can walk around and get a good look at the boat racers.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
Arrow 2009 Colorado Dragon Boat Festival, Denver, CO. PHOTO TOUR

The 2009 Colorado Dragon Boat Festival drew 100,000 attendees for the third straight year at Sloan’s Lake Park in Denver. In its 9th year it is described as “Coalescing Colorado’s Asian Pacific American Communities”

This free family-friendly festival showcased traditional and contemporary performing artists, cultural customs and cuisine, and two days of competitive dragon boat racing. It has become, in a few short years, the most recognized and celebrated Asian American/Pacific Islander cultural event in the Rocky Mountain region. Since inception, it has received many accolades and awards - Westword anointed the Festival “Best New Festival” of 2001. The Rocky Mountain News called it the “Best City Festival” in 2003. And, in 2007, 5280 magazine describes Dragon Boat as “One of Colorado’s greatest festivals…”

Other Asian events in the Denver Metro area include the Aurora Asian/Pacific Community Partnership with partners Denver Film Society and the City of Aurora hosting the Aurora Asian Film Festival, a showcase for recent theatrical films with Asian themes for many years. The film festival is currently on hiatus.
The Asian Pacific Development Center mounted Passport to Asia which included Asian American entertainments and vendors. At its peak, Passport to Asia drew 10,000
The Cherry Blossom Festival at Sakura Square has been a Denver tradition for over 35 years. Sponsored by Tri-State/Denver Buddhist Temple, the still-thriving Cherry Blossom Festival draws 25,000 spectators to celebrate Japanese-American culture, food, music, dance, arts and crafts.

The 10th Annual Colorado Dragon Boat Festival will be on July 24-25, 2010 at Sloan's Lake Park in Denver. All photos were shot by me, DenverAztec.

Inside the Tibetan Tent

Boat racers are from local business and organizations and the more muscle the faster the boat.

Hope you enjoyed!

Denver Aztec

Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 PM

161 posts, read 730,932 times
great pics aztec! i will go in 2010 for sure

Old 09-12-2009, 11:45 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
Thank you Kyusa! It was a lot of fun and I will be going back myself!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 PM

8 posts, read 138,735 times
Great photos! I'm looking forward to going next year as well.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 PM

87 posts, read 246,748 times
Great pictures!

My wife was involved outrigger canoeing for several years here in California. Do you know if there are any outrigger clubs in the Denver area?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
I love these pics! Thanks for sharing. I wish I could make it for 2010, but wife just started a new job so she will not have any vacation time. I know I could, heck..... maybe I can full up the tank and haul the kido's with me. I am sure my wife would be upset if I did that. lol.
Great diversity and cultures, I know I would love being there.

-Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver