Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: Denver, job market, cost of living, statistical analysis, condo .

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 PM

15 posts, read 26,969 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in having discussions with like-minded folks in their late 30s, 40s, early 50s (absolutely no offense to anyone outside that age range) who have made the decision to leave San Diego (I know - I can almost feel a collective sigh with yet another Californian post) and are now investigating alternative lifestyles. This forum can provide some great insights from big picture statistics regarding current employment opportunities, actual costs of living, choices in outdoor activities, comparative college costs, city politics and religious influences, and traffic conditions to smaller picture realities of housing costs in clean and safe neighborhoods, expanding and constricting professional opportunities within local employment cultures, humidity/precip/temps, education levels, fitting in with value sets and social trends, friendliness, sex scene and compatibility factors, locating fun and/or creative interest groups, quality alternative health care to personal shared experience of making the adjustment into something closer to four seasons. Please feel free to discuss whatever you are comfortable with or not. My focus has been primarily on Denver, but with so many doing just that, I want to expand the knowledge base with comparative experience, as well as shared experience to and from other large cities and small towns. Having lived in the Northeast, I am both biased and not too keen on returning, nor would I easily contend with the humidity and religious factors of the south (again, no offense folks). I love the ocean, but I think I could adjust okay without it; hopefully there are lakes, rivers and streams without going too far.

It's pointless for me to dwell on why I wish to leave California. I would rather focus upon comparative data and learning about what you would do now (knowing what you do now) in planning a transition elsewhere. Besides a lot of people love it here in San Diego and I don't want to take that away from anyone or discourage other people from moving here. My current interest lies in learning about statistical comparable data, values and cultural information, middle age transitions without a lot of senior slant, your expectations, the ease or difficulties of fulfilling those, the disappointments (surprising and not so) and the everyday realities of the transition from start to long-term with the above considerations in mind. Would you do anything differently than you did before your previous geographical transition(s)? If so, what would you investigate more carefully before planning to make such a move? What turned out to be less of a concern than you anticipated and made the transition all the more easier? I know there are a lot of important individual factors to consider such as children, parents & family connections, careers, marriage, divorce and other losses, although what interests me is learning about personal and professional transitions or maybe even the absence of one after a few years of realizing it is time for a whole new zip code without getting too personal, if you know what I mean. I don't want to overstep boundaries, discuss individual gripes without a demo or geographic basis for it, or go into the other extreme where life is a bowl of cherries wherever you may be. What is the point or purpose in that? You want to discuss the truly important things that can or did make all the difference in your life because you have already made the decision to move, are full into the various stages and aspects of a new destination, or the transition is a year or several years behind you now. What are you mulling over? I'd be interested in hearing about and discussing a full spectrum of anticipations to regrets with regard to the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
Your post is applicable to just about anyplace, and IMO is unanswerable.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 PM

15 posts, read 26,969 times
My request for information has geographical boundaries between San Diego and Denver. There are thousands of large cities and smaller towns between here and there and I am interested in learning more of Denver. Of course, it is answerable, silly. I simply opened up the possibility of other destinations and factors to consider. I would be SILLY not to consider the larger picture at this early stage. Granted, there are wide considerations in the request, but there are also similar questions posted and answered by most other folks in this forum. I made it clear to feel free to express or inquire about any given subject matter, big, small or in between. If you don't feel like, that is okay, too. My first approach to any major undertaking is large picture oriented. As I learn what I need to, my focus becomes more centered and narrowed. What gives? I have found the information I have read so far in the Denver forum to be valuable, insightful, and funny. I thought I might receive at least a few thoughtful replies. San Diego, maybe, but not Denver. You folks have oodles of stories and goodies to share. I don't bite.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Quote:
Your post is applicable to just about anyplace, and IMO is unanswerable.
I want the 5 minutes it took me to read that round about going nowhere post back please.

Also, at the risk of joining the rising isurgency against more Californians in Colorado I would urge you to consider anywhere but Denver.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
People are the same everywhere. That's your statistical comparable data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Rose View Post
I would be interested in having discussions with like-minded folks in their late 30s, 40s, early 50s (absolutely no offense to anyone outside that age range) who have made the decision to leave San Diego (I know - I can almost feel a collective sigh with yet another Californian post) and are now investigating alternative lifestyles. This forum can provide some great insights from big picture statistics regarding current employment opportunities, actual costs of living, choices in outdoor activities, comparative college costs, city politics and religious influences, and traffic conditions to smaller picture realities of housing costs in clean and safe neighborhoods, expanding and constricting professional opportunities within local employment cultures, humidity/precip/temps, education levels, fitting in with value sets and social trends, friendliness, sex scene and compatibility factors, locating fun and/or creative interest groups, quality alternative health care to personal shared experience of making the adjustment into something closer to four seasons. Please feel free to discuss whatever you are comfortable with or not. My focus has been primarily on Denver, but with so many doing just that, I want to expand the knowledge base with comparative experience, as well as shared experience to and from other large cities and small towns. Having lived in the Northeast, I am both biased and not too keen on returning, nor would I easily contend with the humidity and religious factors of the south (again, no offense folks). I love the ocean, but I think I could adjust okay without it; hopefully there are lakes, rivers and streams without going too far.

It's pointless for me to dwell on why I wish to leave California. I would rather focus upon comparative data and learning about what you would do now (knowing what you do now) in planning a transition elsewhere. Besides a lot of people love it here in San Diego and I don't want to take that away from anyone or discourage other people from moving here. My current interest lies in learning about statistical comparable data, values and cultural information, middle age transitions without a lot of senior slant, your expectations, the ease or difficulties of fulfilling those, the disappointments (surprising and not so) and the everyday realities of the transition from start to long-term with the above considerations in mind. Would you do anything differently than you did before your previous geographical transition(s)? If so, what would you investigate more carefully before planning to make such a move? What turned out to be less of a concern than you anticipated and made the transition all the more easier? I know there are a lot of important individual factors to consider such as children, parents & family connections, careers, marriage, divorce and other losses, although what interests me is learning about personal and professional transitions or maybe even the absence of one after a few years of realizing it is time for a whole new zip code without getting too personal, if you know what I mean. I don't want to overstep boundaries, discuss individual gripes without a demo or geographic basis for it, or go into the other extreme where life is a bowl of cherries wherever you may be. What is the point or purpose in that? You want to discuss the truly important things that can or did make all the difference in your life because you have already made the decision to move, are full into the various stages and aspects of a new destination, or the transition is a year or several years behind you now. What are you mulling over? I'd be interested in hearing about and discussing a full spectrum of anticipations to regrets with regard to the above.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
People are the same everywhere. That's your statistical comparable data.
I'd rep you but I can't. I was just trying to tell them that on the Pittsburgh forum. I don't know why people want to divide us all into little groups: midwesterners, mountain westerners, Californians, easterners, etc.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 PM

195 posts, read 794,143 times
Uuhhm, I moved to Denver to ski and hike in the mountains as much as humanly possible.
I didn't analyze it like you have. It can be as simple as that.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 AM

264 posts, read 1,390,446 times
Having been a native San Diegan for 40+ years, we just just moved to Denver a few months ago. We moved for a change of pace, less hot weather (ha ha! temps have been in the high 90's for weeks now - not normal, apparently), and are enjoying it. It's similar in so many ways - lots of parts remind me of Orange county, with the grid-like set up of the streets.
There are rivers and river activities within city limits, it was a nice surprise to see people in the river in Boulder, in Golden, Platte river, etc - all running right through the city. I'm looking forward to learning how to kayak.
There are small bodies of water here, but compared to Mission Bay, they're very small. People do boat here. Chatfield seems to be the largest body of water that I've seen so far, but I haven't ventured out of the metro area yet.

The people here seem to be genuine, friendlier, especially sales clerks and food servers.

Other small things we noticed - hard to find the same type of Mexican food we're used to in San Diego (I miss Roberto's!), what's this obsession with green chile? - it's on everything! Not that it's bad, just different. Stores don't have Knudsen sour cream , and there are a million streets in different parts of any given city with the same name, not just main through streets. It took some time to get used to seeing flat land for miles and miles. San Diego doesn't have vast areas of flatness. These aren't bad things, just stuff we noticed when we moved here.

We're temporarily in Arvada. Arvada is actually nicer than I thought it would be. It reminds me of North Park, but without the crime & homeless. There are lots of big trees. The views of the mountains are really beautiful, and when we have an afternoon thunderstorm, it's wonderful. We are looking forward to some cooler weather and snow. Certain family members are looking forward to snowboarding.

All in all, we're really glad we moved. I don't miss the ocean, so far. I think I'll be content to visit it - maybe once a year.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I moved here from Orange County and love it. The plusses for me: We got a great house in Denver for the same price we sold our little condo for in California (prices have fallen in CA much more than here, so that couldn't be done today), traffic is much better and I can get around the city in a reasonable amount of time, the people in my neighborhood are great and have become some of the best friends I've ever had, I'm within 15 minutes of all sorts of restaurants, theater, museums, zoo, amusement park, stadiums, great shopping, and Denver's wonderful downtown, contrary to what you might read here, the city of Denver IS diverse, moreso than our neighborhood in OC, the summer weather is similar to SoCal with warm to hot days, cool nights, low humidity and few bugs.

Really the only negative for me is winter. Although there are wamr days in winter and it rarely stays uncomfortably cold for very long, I just don't like cold weather and wearing a coat. As temperatures can fluctuate wildly in Spring and Fall, it makes gardening difficult sometimes. And there's no Trader Joes here.

And if you're interested, I've heard Denver has quite the "swingers" scene.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 AM

8 posts, read 40,491 times
We were just in Denver for the weekend to check it out. It seemed like a nice city. Cute neighborhoods with small craftsman style bungalows and cute shops and restaurants (all prerequisites for me). My only concern is the lack of diversity. I think I will definitely miss the great ethnic restaurants we have in San Francisco, CA. I also have to say it was kind of odd seeing so few Asian people (myself excluded).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver