U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:53 AM

74 posts, read 250,673 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in San Francisco, and we cannot afford to buy anything here. So we are looking at Denver. We know it snows, we are not worried about that. We are accustomed to living in an urban environment, and we would probably want to live somewhere close to downtown.

Suggestions or comments please?
Rate this post positively

Old 01-27-2007, 01:45 PM

210 posts, read 1,307,484 times
You could look into LoDo if you want to be right in downtown, or around Capitol Hill (although that's an area that's a bit rough around the edges-- it's getting better but still has a way to go). If you are looking for a larger gay community, your best bet would be around Cheeseman Park. It's a nice area, close to downtown, but not in it.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:03 PM

111 posts, read 591,789 times
You might look into Stapleton. Its known as Gaypleton for its large amount of gay couples living there, although its predominantly a family/new community type place. All new nice homes. Pretty cool area fairly close to downtown, but not as 'urban' as what you may be used to.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the advice. Neither of us know anyone in Denver so we really don't know anything about it other than that a lot of people from California are moving there. We have also considered Portland (too much rain), and quickly decided that the desert Southwest is too hot for us.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:01 PM

13,394 posts, read 43,379,428 times
I think Stapleton is really, really nice. I think you'd like it there.
I am going to second Cheesman Park. Cheesman Park itself is a large, green park with mature trees, and the neighborhood around it is adjacent (overlapping slightly into) Capitol Hill. It can vary from townhomes to single family dwellings to apartments.
There were quite a few gays in my old neighborhood of Country Club North.
If you could find the right place, you might like it there.
It is very close to Cherry Creek, has a nice urban feel and you can walk to shops and restaurants--but Stapleton and Cheesman also offer those options.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:59 PM

40 posts, read 196,586 times
Also look into the Uptown area- this is the area just east of downtown. The neighborhood is very close to downtown (about a 5 minute drive), and is a well established neighborhood with big trees and nice homes. There are also several nice, new apartments being built in Uptown. There are a couple of gay bars and lots of restaurants in the middle of uptown. LODO is also a really nice area, but is likely more expensive than Uptown. Of course, compared to what you're used to paying in SF, anything probably seems like a bargain

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM

2,755 posts, read 12,497,379 times
I don't know how you feel about gentrification from a social and economic justice perspective, but it's a fact of life in most of the downtown Denver. On the plus side, most of the downtown area is a lot less crime ridden than it used to be.

If you're looking for downtown living such as lodo, there's not much to direct you to -- just go there and you'll find plenty of condos and lofts. (or do an online search inside the 80202 zip code).

If you want more of a neighborhood in which you could walk to downtown bars, etc, in addition to the neighborhoods mentioned by other posters you can check out the Golden Triangle (mostly newer condo redevelopment buildings), Curtis Park/5 points (a very diverse community, still a bit raw but offering some more authentic grit and racial diversity than other places in Denver), as well as the Highland neighborhood (mostly victorian single family homes with some new lofts -- you can walk to lodo via a new pedestrian bridge across I-25).

Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 AM

2,558 posts, read 1,347,152 times
While not SF, Denver is gay friendly. Even the police were recruiting at pride last year. There are lots of different gay groups to join if you are into that, there are also mainstream Christian Churchs and Jewish Temples that are gay friendly, not to mention the cultural amenities. Prices are sooo much lower than SF. Capital Hill, Lodo, Commons Park, Stapleton, Golden Triangle, Cheeseman Park and Uptown are comfortable areas for us. One thing I found, when asking someone gay in some parts of the country where they would like to live, many say somewhere else. I have not heard anyone in Denver say that they are unhappy there. (Check out denverinfill.com.)

Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the information.

It is so hard to leave this beautiful city, but we really don't see any other choice. I have only lived here for 2 years (from Montreal), but I really cannot afford anything here.

My ex-roommate just bought a fixer-upper flat for $675,000. (2 bdrm, 1 bath) in the Mission (ghetto). Hopefully her car will be there in the morning when she gets up. I cannot spend that kind of money to live in the ghetto.

But I think we will come out to Denver and check it out.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:03 AM

2,558 posts, read 1,347,152 times
Default Condo prices

For what your friend paid in SF, you can get a luxury condo downtown in Denver. You will find nice 2Bedroom/1 bath condos for 250,000 to 300,000 in town. There are a few realtor websites that will let you look at all of the homes on the market for free (not just their listings). (I guess since if I give out the names of the sites, it would seem like I am steering business their way, so I can't in the forum.)[Moderator adds: True, but you can send anyone a PM if you wish.]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-30-2007 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: adding advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver