Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:33 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What car did you have? Manual or Automatic?
Automatic. Honda Odyssey. Bad buy since we moved to Colorado a few months later. I didn't think it through very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
good points...I don't know why I hate the cold so much. I guess its the ice on the road, and the threat of getting in an accident. Although I have just learned that here in AZ some folks have had there tires explode because of the extreme heat. That does make me pause. I think I would rather get stuck walking for help in the cold, then 113 degree heat.

I do love making a fire and drinking hot chocolate or coffee. When I lived in PNW I would build fires all the time. a cold day there was about 30 degrees. Thats a good day in the winter of Colorado. It was even more dangerous to drive in the PNW in the snow because its a wet snow and very slippery. Its like sand in Colorado, very drivable.
But I mean it seems to be a countrywide staple. Every female I've dated has been the same way - hate cold, love sweltering heat. I just can't understand it.

My body is constantly hot. I assume it's due to my metabolism and what not. All I know is, I have to keep the A/C on. Due to the cost of it all I can't go below 80 degrees F, but even at that temperature the thing is always kicking in every 5 minutes. If I had my way I would cut the thing down to 60 degrees F and let it keep the temperature that low. For me that's "normal" - 60-70. Everyone else says it's too cold. I just can't figure it.

The heat gives me terrible headaches, wears me down, makes me tired, and I don't feel like being active. It's one of many things I hate about this state.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:29 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexicoventure View Post
I've been offered a job in Denver and want to take it, but -- and this may sound silly -- but even though I've read a book about all the wonderful things in Denver (the zoo, botanical gardens, aquarium, museums, concerts, restaurants, etc.), I'm so afraid of the cold.

Isn't it cold all the time? What if the electric power goes down?

I'm also afraid I won't be good at walking on, and driving on, ice...

If you don't like the cold, my best advice to you would be to stay put where you are.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Automatic. Honda Odyssey. Bad buy since we moved to Colorado a few months later. I didn't think it through very well.
Yeah I can see that being a bit of a problem. I had an Acura CL with nearly the same drivetrain (V6 with good torque and front wheel drive) except mine was a manual. Even in rain, it was WAY too easy to spin the front wheels unintentionally. I know a guy in Denver with an 04 TL (same drivetrain too) and he said getting out of his apartment's driveway was tough on all-season tires because of the slight hill. Consumer reports rated the TL as having poor snow traction too. The problem with all that power on two wheels and electronic traction control is that when its slick, you can't hardly touch the gas without spinning, and the computer clamps the brakes the moment in detects your wheels slipping. So you can't really go. Probably better to turn off the traction control until you're rolling in a situation like that. My guess is that good snow tires on such cars are a 100% requirement in the winter.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 26,745 times
The issue of driving in the winter can be handled pretty easily. When I turned sixteen, my family had me driving around an empty parking lot on a couple of weekends to "learn" how to drive in winter conditions. This happened in the middle of January on the east side of Cleveland. If you have never been to Cleveland, I can assure you the winters are BRUTAL. I have traveled only a few other places to see what winters are like for driving and Cleveland was the worst (excluding Buffallo. Those are some very tough folks). In short, it is probably a good thing that you have a little concern about winter driving and you can learn it pretty quickly. I find it more about avoiding a few folks who seem to think an SUV means you can drive however you want on ice. (Ever notice ho many SUV's you see in a ditch in the winter while regular cars are driving right along?) I guess what I am saying is that winter driving is a skill you learn, not a talent you are born with. After one winter I am wiling to bet you will be more worried about the other people on the road than your own winter driving abilities. Good luck to you.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:58 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius88 View Post
The issue of driving in the winter can be handled pretty easily. When I turned sixteen, my family had me driving around an empty parking lot on a couple of weekends to "learn" how to drive in winter conditions. This happened in the middle of January on the east side of Cleveland. If you have never been to Cleveland, I can assure you the winters are BRUTAL. I have traveled only a few other places to see what winters are like for driving and Cleveland was the worst (excluding Buffallo. Those are some very tough folks). In short, it is probably a good thing that you have a little concern about winter driving and you can learn it pretty quickly. I find it more about avoiding a few folks who seem to think an SUV means you can drive however you want on ice. (Ever notice ho many SUV's you see in a ditch in the winter while regular cars are driving right along?) I guess what I am saying is that winter driving is a skill you learn, not a talent you are born with. After one winter I am wiling to bet you will be more worried about the other people on the road than your own winter driving abilities. Good luck to you.
the problem is that you don't have morons following you around 6 inches from your bumper when you are practicing. Its good that you are ready, but what about all the idiots around you. Anyone who lives there for one winter knows to drive slow, break easy, turn toward the spin, don't tailgate. The problem is that there are new Texans and Californians all the time. Not to mention all the illegal aliens and uninsured motorists

Old 08-31-2008, 01:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
the problem is that you don't have morons following you around 6 inches from your bumper when you are practicing. Its good that you are ready, but what about all the idiots around you. Anyone who lives there for one winter knows to drive slow, break easy, turn toward the spin, don't tailgate. The problem is that there are new Texans and Californians all the time. Not to mention all the illegal aliens and uninsured motorists
No need to generalize, we aren't all stupid.

Aren't Texans, Californians, "illegal aliens", and uninsured motorists, hazards at all times, not just winter?

Please.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
No need to generalize, we aren't all stupid.

Aren't Texans, Californians, "illegal aliens", and uninsured motorists, hazards at all times, not just winter?

Please.
True, but when the traction is good, there's a lot more margin for error and its easier to correct from bad driving. Like when someone's going too fast, not paying attention, and almost misses their turn, dry pavement lets them get away with slamming on the brakes and making the turn anyway. In snow and ice, not so much.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
True, but when the traction is good, there's a lot more margin for error and its easier to correct from bad driving. Like when someone's going too fast, not paying attention, and almost misses their turn, dry pavement lets them get away with slamming on the brakes and making the turn anyway. In snow and ice, not so much.
You're right, I just don't like generalizations so that's why I stepped in. I'm sure there are people in each of those four demographic groups that drive just fine in the snow/ice.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 PM

140 posts, read 429,466 times
Take the train when it snows! I haven't tried the busses in the snow yet, maybe someone else can fill me in. But when I was there in February, I took the train at rush hour in the snow and it was a breeze. 13 miles in less than 30 mins and no paying for parking downtown! I love Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver