Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:20 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,470,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That is why a Pontiac Vibe have a lower resale value than the Toyota Matrix even though they are built in the same assembly line and is the same vehicle.
Not entirely true. The Vibe sells for less initially, offers fewer options, has a different interior and believe it or not drives differently than the Toyota iteration.

Quote:
have heard some people saying that their foreign car is more american because it was built in the US.
This is not a totally flawed perspective. Given the global sourcing of components for all makes, "foreign" and "domestic" there is no such thing as an American car built by anyone. There are American (both south and north) assembled cars; which is about as close as you are going to get these days.

Quote:
A strong American Industry gave us that leadership in the last century
Lack of any competition gave us the dominant position. Overpaying non-educated union workers, focusing on quantity over quality and ignoring the customer wants and desires put the American makers where they are today.

Quote:
After a year or two these cars are sold by the rental car company with a huge discount hurting the consumer that bought the car brand new.
To say that rental fleets are the reason American cars depreciate faster is to oversimplify the issue. Fleet sales were so large in the first place because no one else would buy the capacity the American makers continued to produce after demand decreased.

Toyota continues to increase fleet sales every year and you don't see their average resale price anywhere near those of the domestics.

As a person who rents every week and has for over a decade, the American makers have come a long way; but they still have much further to go. Sadly given the way they are hobbled by the overpaid UAW workers and understaffed in the design and quality control departments I don't have much faith that they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,351,647 times
SUbaru a lower end version of Saturn? Are you high? Subaru's are a precision engineered Japanese work of art that are nearly indestructible.

Saturns are GM's bastard child, sewn together with plastic. They fall apart in exorborant numbers. Not that I care though, it's job security for me.

I miss my old Subaru GL wagon. that thing had REAL 4WD, with high and low range, not that stupid AWD they all have today.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,532,584 times
I can understand the old way of thinking that "buying American" was so patriotic. But the problem is, it's outdated logic from 20 years ago. We live in a global economy now where automakers are buying from everywhere to build their cars, and they're having their cars assembled in other countries. Japanese cars are built here in the US, the American cars are built in Mexico, and the parts for those cars are built in other countries. The average American car is made up of more non-American made parts than you can imagine.

What constitutes an "American-made" car anymore? The ethnicity of the big wigs who make the huge profits? Seriously people, do some research into what you're preaching. "Foreign" car companies are employing almost as many Americans these days as the American car companies.

It simply comes down to product quality and resale value, and that's why people are buying Toyotas and Hondas. The Big 3 have gotten better in the past decade, but they're still lagging behind in one area or another. I'm not going to throw my money away on a car that is inferior just so that I can say I bought a car from a company whose headquarters are based in the USA. I'll find other ways to be patriotic, thank you. If you want to make a big difference, stop buying foreign oil.

Last edited by Ludachris; 09-03-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 AM

719 posts, read 2,611,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What???? Why can't somebody drive what they want it they can afford it? Is energy security bad?

Jealous?
Not at all. Disgusted is more like it.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,246,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
What constitutes an "American-made" car anymore? The ethnicity of the big wigs who make the huge profits? Seriously people, do some research into what you're preaching. "Foreign" car companies are employing almost as many Americans these days as the American car companies.
Exactly. I have a friend who just got hired with one of the Japanese auto companies whose American operations are headquartered in LA. The real auto industry in the US today is found in places like Torrance, CA, Smyrna, TN, Georgetown, KY, Spartanburg, SC, and northern Mississippi-- not Detroit.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 AM

44 posts, read 170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What???? Why can't somebody drive what they want it they can afford it? Is energy security bad?

Jealous?
Bring back the draft! Hummer drivers will be the first to get their numbers called. Now they can truly fight for their freedom (to drive whatever they want).

Old 09-04-2008, 12:55 PM

719 posts, read 2,611,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get out of my way View Post
Bring back the draft! Hummer drivers will be the first to get their numbers called. Now they can truly fight for their freedom (to drive whatever they want).
My point exactly! And get this-I saw an H2 at Whole Foods in Boulder last year with a "No War for Oil" bumper sticker on it. Talk about hypocrisy.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,246,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
My point exactly! And get this-I saw an H2 at Whole Foods in Boulder last year with a "No War for Oil" bumper sticker on it. Talk about hypocrisy.
That pretty much sums up Boulder...

Old 09-04-2008, 06:12 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,325,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
That pretty much sums up Boulder...
Yes. The local paper, the Daily Camera, once noticed a Beemer (or maybe it was a Mercedes or a Lexus) with the bumper sticker "Live Simply so Others May Simply Live"! Some people don't see their own inconsistency.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
product loyalty is the inferior of quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver