Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:11 AM

9 posts, read 26,745 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am seriously considering moving to Denver sometime in the next six months from Cleveland. Originally, I intended to go to Chicago, but was just in Denver a few months ago and loved it. Yes, I know that anyplace is better than Cleveland. If anyone disagrees with the Cleveland assessment, google terms like "America's fastest dying cities, highest obesity rates, most unemployment, etc. I am a attorney in my early thirties with no wife or children. I am assuming that Denver would be a good first place to live as it would be easiest to find an attorney or human resources job while I learn about the state. I am interested in knowing what areas of Denver I should look at as far as picking a place to live. I live in downtown Cleveland now. Do people live downtown in Denver? How are the areas suburbs? Can I commute to Denver from a surrounding town? I am basically looking for a place where I can live safely, be able to run without fear of being mugged, have people in the community who actually "do things" such a volunteer work, hike, go to museums, etc. I know this probably sounds pretty basic, but I can assure you that none of you want to come to Cleveland. Any information would be of great help, even suggestions as to other possible towns or information about Denver such as how is it to be single there. I really don't want the whole New York City dating vibe, but it would be nice to actually meet someone and settle down. In short, I am trying to pick a new home and would like to hear any comments about how any of you like Colorado. Thanks so much and have a good Labor Day.

Also, I am just looking to rent. Right now, I pay $750.00 for a 700 square foot apartment right in downtown Cleveland. I don't need to find a place in Colorado that is huge or fancy. I basically need an apartment to sleep in that is around the size of my current place with a working kitchen and air conditioning. I don't live overly expensive, i.e. I drive a Honda Civic that I love and has never failed me. I also don't eat at fancy restaurants and have ever been on a pair of skis in my life. Again, any information would be great.

Last edited by Ramius88; 08-31-2008 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: additional information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:22 AM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius88 View Post
Hello. I am seriously considering moving to Denver sometime in the next six months from Cleveland. Originally, I intended to go to Chicago, but was just in Denver a few months ago and loved it.
What swayed you away from Chicago and to Denver?

Quote:
Any information would be of great help, even suggestions as to other possible towns or information about Denver such as how is it to be single there.
If I was in your shoes and situtation I'd go for Denver proper (not Boulder, not CS, not FC) upon relo.

Quote:
I really don't want the whole New York City dating vibe.
Explain? what do you mean about NYC?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 26,745 times
Chicago was nice, but not really an "active" town. I have a lot of friends there, but they all like to spend their Friday nights at the bar until 4:00 a.m. and then looked at me like I was a mutant for going home early and getting up to run. I haven't really seen much of the country as I put myself through school and then spent years trying to pay off old school loans. I know, the two Chicago and Denver are very different. I'd say I first picked Chicago out of desperation to get away from Cleveland, and then saw Denver and felt like it would fit me better and not just be a move for the sake of simply escaping Cleveland.

As for the New York comment, I like the city. I have friends there, but the "dating scene" doesn't suit me. It is so big that you meet people socially and then may never bump into them again. Plus, I found no one was really who they seemed to be there. To put it honesty (and I don't mean to be rude or insult anyone from New York), I had a good female friend who used to watch that Sex and the City show on HBO religiously. After being in New York for a couple days, I noticed that the show really correctly portrays a lot of what I saw there. I guess I am just more of a down to earth type. I'd rather internet date or be set up by a co-worker to go on an old-fashioned date than meet someone while I can't speak clearly and am on my fifth martini. Again, no insult meant towards New York or its residents, but I wouldn't fit in.

Last edited by Ramius88; 08-31-2008 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
If anyone disagrees with the Cleveland assessment, google terms like "America's fastest dying cities, highest obesity rates, most unemployment, etc.
You would think that with Cleveland dying, it would be cheap

What's wrong with being obese? It doesn't really hurt anybody but the obese person.

Most unemployment? Maybe people just don't want to work.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

However, Denver sounds like a good fit for you.

Yes, people live in downtown Denver. Look up neighborhoods like LoDo, Ballpark, Uptown, and the little less downtown-y Capitol Hill.

The suburbs are fine as well, as is most of Denver proper, it all depends on how long of a commute you want to put up with and where work will be.

Most places, you can jog and walk without worrying about getting mugged, I don't think mugging is very common here, if it happens at all. You might have a bum ask you for money occasionally, however.

I think you could find something for as cheap as you are paying in CLE, but it would be basic and not right downtown. Most of downtown is geared towards the trendy folks who like to pay through the nose for housing.

As far as the comparisons between DEN and CHI/NYC, you might run into the same problems with "people" here. The comments you made about CHI/NYC were pretty general, and you can probably run into those same situations here, I would think it depends on what crowd you are in.

I actually might want to come to Cleveland, it snows a lot and is cold (which I like), and it's dirt cheap. What's not to like?

Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
What's wrong with being obese? It doesn't really hurt anybody but the obese person.
It costs me money. My insurance premiums subsidize your(?) heart disease, diabetic complications, etc.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
It costs me money. My insurance premiums subsidize your(?) heart disease, diabetic complications, etc.
Let's not hijack this thread, but the same could be said for any condition. Conditions caused by smoking, alcoholism, or drug abuse, as well as those that can't be helped like cancer.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,346 times
Default Denver reality

Denver's economy is boom or bust. Right now, we're in bust. The only jobs that come here are low paying retail, food service and healthcare. You know, the type of jobs no one can live on and no one wants anyway. The 'experts' are saying two conflicting things. A) two thirds of the jobs being created will be low paying, low skill jobs & B) two-thirds of future employment will be high tech where employees will need a college degree.

Colorado has the highest per capita of college degrees but no matching job market. Recent grads have to search out of state for decent employment.

A large portion of the living arrangements in the downtown area are lofts and expensive. Unless you make over $100,000 you won't be able to live in any decent part of town. Aurora and the northern communities of Arvada, Northglenn, Thorton, will have more reasonable rents. Just be sure you don't end up in the middle of Hispanic areas. These are not safe.

Also, why do you think Denver is crime free? There are robberies, rapes, and other such activities that go on everyday. Being watchful and knowing some self defense moves is always a good idea. Also, where not to walk after dark. Since Denver is in bust, the theft and robbery rates way are up.

And yes, people are moving to Colorado. There seems to be some misconception about it being an ideal place to live. I've been here for almost twenty years and can tell you that is the fartherest thing from the truth. Not to mention most women, unless they're 'out doorsy' are pretty much bored here. That's why the craft stores do so well - there's not much else do.

Some facts about the area:

There is alot of 'new' money people living here. They are rude, nasty, inconsiderate and treat service workers like you know what on their shoe.

Denver drivers are oblivious to anyone else on the road. Road rage is at an all time high and many accidents are caused because of it. Being cut off, flipped off, turning with no signal, etc. happen several times a day. Doesn't matter whether it's rush hour or not. Speed limits are ignored. Very few of the drivers know how to drive on snow or in the rain.

None of the lights are timed.

Denver is still part of tornado alley. This has been a record year for them. Granted, we don't get the big monsters like in KS, but they do happen.

The area is under storm warnings constantly during the summer. Lightening strikes are common place.

The mountain resort areas are crowded, expensive and they only want the rich people there anyway.

There is alot of 'high end' shopping options. If you're low income, there's Walmart or a few thrift stores.

The biggest tourist draw in the area is the Cherry Creek Shopping Mall.

Best bookstores : Tattered Cover or Barnes & Noble.

Denver's idea of affordable housing is apartments and usually in areas like right next to the highway or other undesirable places.

To buy a decent house the price is over $350,000. But, there's barely any yard and you can see into your neighbor's home.

Never go anywhere on I25 when there's a football or baseball game.

The homeless live pretty much in the downtown area and you see them everywhere.

There are more people in the Denver Metro area than in the entire state of Montana.

The public transport system is twenty years behind the times. One of the three main reasons employers won't relocate here besides too much traffic and a high cost of living.

Denver has an overinflated sense of self importance when it's a no nothing town.

Other than the mountains in the middle of the state, to the east it's all flat plains and on the west, south, and north side, desert.

The best way to drive across Kansas or Wyoming is in the dark. If you must go thru WY during the day, play 'count the antelope'. It's amazing how many of them you'll see. In KS, fill up in Hayes because it's a long, long drive, to the next gas station - either direction. Also, there's a Walmart which is a good place to take a break.

Colorado is in the blast zone if Yellowstone, a supervolcano, ever blows it stack.

Things do do close and far away:

On the other side of the mountains and only a few hours away are Rocky Mountain National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, and I know there's a mountain drive just outside Grand Junction, just can't think of what it's called. The Georgetown Loop train ride and one in Durango as well. Also, the Indian ruins and the wineries. Oh, and the stinky hot springs in Glenwood Springs and the prettiest drive in the state - Glenwood Canyon.

In Colorado Springs in the south and about an hour away, there's Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, and a few other things. Not to mention Norad which is supposed to be top secret but everyone knows where it is.

In Pagosa Springs there's also another area where you can soak in hot springs.

In Denver itself: Natural History Museum, Denver Zoo, Molly Brown House, an art museum, several city parks & rec areas, the Arts Center, Labor day weekend - the Taste of Colorado. There's also the People's Fair, but I dont' know when that is. Several of the communities have neighborhood yard sales during the summer, and other activities too numerous to list. Also the aquarium. Oh, let us not forget the stock show in January and the Renaissance Fair in Larkspur for six weekends over the summer. Red Rocks and other places have concerts during the summer. And a spot on the west side of town where there are dinosaur tracks on the side of the hill.

Day & half to two days away: Yellowstone National Park, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, NV, San Diego, CA, Arches National Park, Bryce and another park in Utah, some neat spots in NM and AZ, Salt Lake City for the huge inland shallow salt lake and Kansas City on the other side of KS.

There are several wildlife refuges here as well. For instance, the Colorado Wolf & Wildlife Center near Divide, CO. I know there's at least one more wolf santuary and a couple for big cats.

Oh, and there are tons of hawks inside the city limits if you watch for them. Also seagulls because this area used to be a huge inland sea.

As for the singles scene:

There are more men than women. And from my experience of many years ago, most of the men are too picky. There are alot of good women who are not 'outdoorsy'. They're just overlooked. However, most of the surveys say Denver is a good place for singles. I think most of my single female friends would disagree.

There also seems to be a large gay community here.

I know, I didn't sugar coat this. But you need to know what you're getting into before you make the final decision to move here. Denver is a 'love' it or 'hate' it place. There is no inbetween. I strongly suggest you visit first, do lots of Internet searches and research as much as you possibly can.

Look at:

The cost of housing both to buy and rent. Realtor.com is a good source for that.

What you enjoy doing. Does Denver really offer what you want to do?
Chamber of Commerce page is a good place to start and look at all the links.

Granted you're an attorney, but will Denver offer you enough business to make a living here? The least amount you need to earn is $50,000 a year just to survive. If you can't do that, than I suggest you look elsewhere.

What medical needs do you have or might need in the future? This is a far more important consideration than most people think.

My list is just to get you started. Only you know all the questions you have or what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlots View Post
Denver's economy is boom or bust. Right now, we're in bust. The only jobs that come here are low paying retail, food service and healthcare. You know, the type of jobs no one can live on and no one wants anyway. The 'experts' are saying two conflicting things. A) two thirds of the jobs being created will be low paying, low skill jobs & B) two-thirds of future employment will be high tech where employees will need a college degree.
I guess downtown, the tech center and the suburban office parks are all empty these days.

Quote:
A large portion of the living arrangements in the downtown area are lofts and expensive. Unless you make over $100,000 you won't be able to live in any decent part of town. Aurora and the northern communities of Arvada, Northglenn, Thorton, will have more reasonable rents.
It takes far less than $100K to live in a decent part of town, I'd say as low as $25K income.

Quote:
Just be sure you don't end up in the middle of Hispanic areas. These are not safe.
This is a terrible generalization. There are plenty of high percentage Hispanic areas that are perfectly fine.

Quote:
Also, why do you think Denver is crime free? There are robberies, rapes, and other such activities that go on everyday. Being watchful and knowing some self defense moves is always a good idea. Also, where not to walk after dark. Since Denver is in bust, the theft and robbery rates way are up.
I don't know about crime being up, but at least here in Aurora it is in a downswing. Denver is quite tame crime-wise compared to other major cities and far from being like LA or Detroit.

Quote:
To buy a decent house the price is over $350,000. But, there's barely any yard and you can see into your neighbor's home.
Wrong again. Most homes here are below that price threshold. Nice places can be found across the metro for as low as $150K.

Quote:
The public transport system is twenty years behind the times. One of the three main reasons employers won't relocate here besides too much traffic and a high cost of living.
I guess the new light rail, and the future plan for it is behind the times. Traffic here is laughable, and cost of living is a little higher than average, but still quite reasonable.

Quote:
Colorado is in the blast zone if Yellowstone, a supervolcano, ever blows it stack.
If this is true, we might get ash, but definitely no pyroclastic flows.

Quote:
Granted you're an attorney, but will Denver offer you enough business to make a living here? The least amount you need to earn is $50,000 a year just to survive. If you can't do that, than I suggest you look elsewhere.
I made it on far less than that when I first moved here, not long ago.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,346 times
Default Quick Reply - David A.

$25,000 is poverty level. I should know, I have to live on it. I barely get by every month and am lucky if I have $100 left in my bank account.

$150,000 where? Townhouses and condos maybe. Though I did notice that there are houses under $100,000 again. Just not in areas of town people want to live.

The cost of housing is still expensive in comparison to what employers are willing to pay. I couldn't afford to buy on my salary. In fact, if anything happens to my spouse, I'll end up in bankruptcy, lose our house we bought about decade ago and have to move out of Colorado completely. No way can I survive here on what I'm making now. And I've lived in the past on 'survival' level. I will NEVER go back to that lifestyle nor do I intend to ever live in an apartment again. Not to mention a lousy job market even with a college degree. I'm still doing the same dead end, low paying positions I had before I got mine and even after seven years of searching, I can't find anything better. (And I've passed the PLACE exam for teachers and can't get a school here to even call me in for an interview.)

Uh, Yellowstone's blast radius is 600 miles. It stops about Pueblo. I've researched this extensively for a book I'm working on. If you're basing your assumptions on that movie shown on Disc/TLC called Supervolcano, they did best case scenerio. Worse case, is that everything west of the Mississippi will be gone. Not to mention worldwide starvation. About the only survivors will be the tribes in the Amazon.

And yes, alot of the office buildings are empty. I've seen them as I drive down I25. As I said, businesses won't come here. And if some of the measures that are currently on the ballot by the Unions go through, rumor has it that many businesses will move out. In fact, their expansion plans are on hold because of the Unions' high jinxs.

Generalization about the Hispanic neighborhoods - maybe. I wouldn't live in the middle of them and I don't feel safe when I drive thru them either.

Denver is just not a good place to live. Like I said, I've been here almost 20 years. If I could convince my spouse to move, we'd leave.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
When I was growing up all my dad's family lived in the Denver area(80's to 90's) and we visited often. Much of the family had been there since the 1920's. Denver had it's problems then as now, but it was much smaller and had more of it's own culture. I had always wanted to live there, so I ended up in the mountains for seven years and spent several days each week in Denver. Unfortunately now Denver has grown too much and it's just another big city. I think I could live there if I had too but it would not be a first choice.

I think there is plenty to do though, in Denver and in the surrounding mountains.

There seem to be plenty of single women around. It's in the mountains that it is statistically stacked against the men. In Denver though I don't think it's a problem finding decent educated women.

Real Estate right now is too high, but they have definitely overbuilt so I think prices will fall for a while to come.

There is crime so it pays to be attentive. I think many cities are a lot worse, but still you have to be on guard. There are some dodgy areas so once you figure out where those are, that helps. Denver the past few years has been invaded by professional panhandlers which is not pleasant as some can be aggressive.

Overall I think Denver is not too bad for a big city. I can think of worse.

Also my relatives are long gone and moved to other parts of the state or elsewhere. Denver got too big for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver