Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 49,704 times

Advertisements

So I am new to Colorado and went apartment shopping yesterday. I am in my early 20's, single, and do not yet know anyone in the area besides the people I work with. I looked everywhere and the best places I found were off the 25 right on the outskirts of the Denver Tech Center. I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this area or has had any experience living there? I have looked all over Denver from LoDo, Ballpark areak, Highlands, Capitol Hill, BelMar etc and either they were out of my price range or just seemed too crowded. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 06:40 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
The DTC area is widely known as being quite a decent place to live. Go for it.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 PM

140 posts, read 429,466 times
word^

Old 09-01-2008, 10:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Have fun taking 30 minute cab rides home. There is a reason those places are cheaper; no one wants to live there because there is NOTHING to do in the area except drive.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Have fun taking 30 minute cab rides home. There is a reason those places are cheaper; no one wants to live there because there is NOTHING to do in the area except drive.
Nothing except Fiddler's Green. And tons of upscale, non-chain bars and restaurants. And beautiful parks. And JOBS. More often than not, people moving to Denver that already have jobs are working in the Tech Center, Centennial Airport area, or south I-25 corridor, not downtown. Meanwhile, we all know living in Capitol Hill or Washington Park and commuting every day to the Tech Center, the biggest job center in the mountain West, is a really sustainable, "urban" lifestyle. I personally (and I believe I speak for others too) are getting sick and tired of your "look at me, I'm so urban and special, you guys suck" mentality. If you don't have any real information to contribute to the discussion, then please refrain from posting. The poster asked about DTC. About ten years ago I actually lived for a month in an apartment complex in the DTC area, it was then called The Jefferson (I believe it was on Orchard) but since then the name changed, and it was easy walking distance to Fiddler's Green, which gets a ton of outdoor concerts. There were a LOT of young urban professionals living there; we were actually an anomaly living there as a family of four. DTC is continuing to become a more and more multi-use place of live work and play.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Nothing except Fiddler's Green. And tons of upscale, non-chain bars and restaurants. And beautiful parks. And JOBS. More often than not, people moving to Denver that already have jobs are working in the Tech Center, Centennial Airport area, or south I-25 corridor, not downtown. Meanwhile, we all know living in Capitol Hill or Washington Park and commuting every day to the Tech Center, the biggest job center in the mountain West, is a really sustainable, "urban" lifestyle. I personally (and I believe I speak for others too) are getting sick and tired of your "look at me, I'm so urban and special, you guys suck" mentality. If you don't have any real information to contribute to the discussion, then please refrain from posting. The poster asked about DTC. About ten years ago I actually lived for a month in an apartment complex in the DTC area, it was then called The Jefferson (I believe it was on Orchard) but since then the name changed, and it was easy walking distance to Fiddler's Green, which gets a ton of outdoor concerts. There were a LOT of young urban professionals living there; we were actually an anomaly living there as a family of four. DTC is continuing to become a more and more multi-use place of live work and play.
Geez, vegaspilgrim, sometimes I wish I didn't have to spread reputation around!

Even if I'm a bigger fan of downtown as opposed to the DTC, it really isn't much different. It's just newer, and has shorter buildings, and isn't the least bit gritty at all (which I think mildly detracts from its appeal).

It has light rail, hotels, restaurants, and like vegas mentioned, the most important thing: jobs. It's in a fairly central location (as far as south metro goes), and therefore commute times to and from it are reasonable.

It's not my cup of tea, but I could see it working for most people, especially young and/or single professionals, which is why I called it quite decent. I don't think it's as hip as downtown, but not everyone is looking for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver