Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,485,797 times

Advertisements

Evergreen is a gorgeous place to live, lots of family activities and wonderful parks. However, it also depends where in evergreen you live. In town life is pretty suburban, but head out to the western side of evergreen and you need to be prepared for a more "natural" kind of living. There are mountain lions living in evergreen and they are dangerous to small pets, especially at night. Attacks are rare, but they do happen. most dog owners, have caged areas to let their pets out in. You will get snow, and lots of it. In the winter you will most likely be looking at an hour commute to the western edge of the city, around highway 470. Depending on where you live it can vary by 30 minutes. Most people move to Denver and have visions of living in a quaint mountain town such as evergreen and move there only to move back to suburbia a year of two later. They find its just too much for them. But, if you like the more rural way of life, you cant beat it. I had a deal on a house in evergreen (which fell through) so I did a ton of research on the area. Eventually, I ended up in Elizabeth. I'm still in the hills (although not as tall), I'm in a forest, but the commute is so much nicer!

Nav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM

224 posts, read 557,123 times
We lived in Evergreen a few years back when we first moved here, then lived in Denver for a few years. When it was time to buy, we looked in Evergreen but couldn't really find anything that met our requirements (privacy and quiet), in our price range. Ended up buying on Lookout Mountain, in Golden, and we love it! The proximity to Denver is a plus, and it feels like being in the mountains though I suppose it's really just foothills. :-) Much more affordable than Evergreen too.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,702,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
Evergreen is a gorgeous place to live, lots of family activities and wonderful parks. However, it also depends where in evergreen you live. In town life is pretty suburban, but head out to the western side of evergreen and you need to be prepared for a more "natural" kind of living. There are mountain lions living in evergreen and they are dangerous to small pets, especially at night. Attacks are rare, but they do happen. most dog owners, have caged areas to let their pets out in. You will get snow, and lots of it. In the winter you will most likely be looking at an hour commute to the western edge of the city, around highway 470. Depending on where you live it can vary by 30 minutes. Most people move to Denver and have visions of living in a quaint mountain town such as evergreen and move there only to move back to suburbia a year of two later. They find its just too much for them. But, if you like the more rural way of life, you cant beat it. I had a deal on a house in evergreen (which fell through) so I did a ton of research on the area. Eventually, I ended up in Elizabeth. I'm still in the hills (although not as tall), I'm in a forest, but the commute is so much nicer!

Nav
how do you like elizabeth? my wife wants to add horse properties to our potential list when we get the goahead to move again and ive heard elizabeth has plenty of them. is that true?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,485,797 times
Yes, Elizabeth and its neighbor, Kiowa are horse friendly. Actually, Elizabeth is a nice refuge few know about. Acreage can be found pretty easily, although its not necessarily cheap, it is not excessively expensive. I work in Englewood, so my commute is about 40 miles. Its a ways, but I work 6:30 - 3:30 so traffic is pretty light. I'm about 45 minutes in in the morning, 55 on the way home. We have the rolling hills covered in dense ponderosa pine forests and open pastureland. As far as location, there are 2 separate ways to get into Denver so you are never "trapped" if snow is bad in one direction. We are only 20 minutes to the Outlet Mall in Castle Rock and 25 minutes to Southlands Mall in Aurora. Park Meadows Mall in Lonetree and DTC are about 30 - 35 minutes away. Colorado springs is only 45 miles away so its easy to go there and "play" on the weekends. Best thing is, Elizabeth is in Elbert County, which is not considered "Front Range" so Taxes are much less and we dont have to deal with emissions inspections like the front range counties do. Its a bit rural, family oriented, and about as far away from the "tract house" mentality as you can get.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Nav

Old 09-10-2008, 01:46 PM

72 posts, read 195,254 times
Evergreen sounds great. The mountain lion thing worries me a little bit with my two dogs, and children on the way, so I'll have to consider, but it still sounds like a possibility.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 PM

181 posts, read 581,244 times
One disadvantage of Evergreen is that you will spend a *lot* of time in your car. Shopping for anything except day-to-day groceries/beer/whatnot involves a trip to town. My sister-in-law lives (and works) in Evergreen, and she chews through the cars and the gas like you wouldn't believe.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:54 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,067,855 times
If you are not a "massive shopper",...like Macy's, Nordstroms, etc.,,you should be fine!! Mind you,..Denver is only 28 miles away!!
If you just want "mall" shopping ,...there are plenty WAYYY before Denver...such as the mall off of Kipling and I70!! Can't remember what it is called...been there it's just that it wasn't there when I was growing up!
It's not like you are isolated (just "feels" like it...which is PERFECT, isn't it??)
I drove from Aurora everyday, to Evergreen to the Hair Salon I worked at in the late 90's. Can't be THAT bad or, I wouldn't have done it, right?? JMO.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM

13 posts, read 37,490 times
Default Move to Evergreen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNPA View Post
My wife and I have been searching areas of Denver we might be interested in moving to. A beautiful place seems to be Evergreen. Great schools too. Can anybody tell me more about Evergreen? Is it a good place to raise children? Lifestyle there? Houses I've seen online seem gorgeous in my price range, provided we could get jobs near Evergreen or in Denver. Don't mind commuting under 1 hour preferrably.
Hello,
I'm not certain you will see this as your posting was done in Sept, however, if you are still considering Evergreen to live, I STRONGLY SUGGEST IT.
I moved from N. California 5 years ago and love it. The Winter is easy, the community is perfect for families and the commute to the high country or Denver is a piece of cake.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-11-2008 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: no advertising or soliciting please!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,067,855 times
Evergreen Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nuf said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If one is used to a 30-45 minute commute, Evergreen would be a no-brainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:10 PM

43 posts, read 113,992 times
Does anyone have info on specific neighborhoods in Evergreen? And we cannot go over 500K ( and really should stay under 400K). We really want to be very close to a grade school, preferably walking distance ( I know, it's a lot to ask...)

There seems to be a real community, which is what we are looking for. And one concern I've heard from friends that went to H.S. there is that if you aren't rich, you might feel a bit out of the loop.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver