Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM

47 posts, read 138,232 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of a move to Denver from Dallas. Wanted to get a feel about how much of a change that would be. We are both about 2 years out of college, no kids. So any info in regards to the people, cost of living, (Is living in the city affordable?) public transportation etc would be helpful, Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 AM

8,592 posts, read 14,764,841 times
As someone who did the opposite - went from the Front Range to D/FW, you're in for a surprise. Houses are much more expensive in CO, but that's offset somewhat by much lower property taxes and homeowner's insurance costs.

Colorado has one of the highest state gas taxes in the nation so gasoline will be more expensive as well.

Colorado has a 4.63% state income tax (none here) and the state sales tax rate is 2.9%.

Bear in mind, though, that each city AND county can set their own tax rate and I don't believe it's capped at 2% over the state rate like it is here. Typically the total sales tax rate is around 5.75 - 6.5% after you throw in all the city and county rates.

Denver has decent public transportation and they, like Dallas, have light rail in place. Traffic congestion is a problem, though, and the highway infrastructure is in even sadder shape than D/FW. The Denver Post did an article on the I-70 viaduct and how it's crumbling but they have no money to replace it, only enough to slap a band-aid on it.

Rebuilding Interstate 70, seams like trouble - The Denver Post

All that being said, we'd move back there if we could afford it and we could find a tech job that paid enough to justify the 14% cost of living increase. The tech sector in Denver, while improved, still lags far behind D/FW.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,485,144 times
The biggest shock will be the cost of housing. You can still find houses in the mid 200k but on average, housing starts in the high 2's to 300's. you can find some cheaper housing in town, but there are a lot of areas that are not safe, thus the lower costs. Denver does have a serious gang problem, but its confined mainly to the urban areas. The nice urban areas, reflect a substantially higher price. A 15 year old 4/3 on an acre 25 miles out of town will set you back about 500k (cheaper if you head out on the eastern prairie, double that if you head west towards the mountains)

Property taxes are not that bad, but the state income tax, and local sales tax also put a strain on the finances. On top of the state sales tax the localities add their own rates. Basically every county in the front range is sitting currently at 8% sales tax. I've found fuel here to be cheaper than in the south (I came from Florida). Currently at my local station, regular is $3.51/gal and diesel is $3.56 It all depends where you shop for fuel. In the urban areas, add another 40 cents per gallon for Gas and 60 cents per gallon for diesel. (Urban areas like to gouge their customers)

By comparison add roughly 20 - 25% on to your texas cost of living and you should be OK.

But when you go outside in Late august and its only in the high 70's with the evening temps in the low 60's, its all worth it

Nav

Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 PM

8,592 posts, read 14,764,841 times
Oh almost forgot another price shock you'll see. In Colorado, vehicle registrations are partially based on the vehicle's taxable value. Registering a brand new vehicle can set you back a couple hundred dollars.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM

89 posts, read 379,362 times
Hi, I would recommend for both of you to go to Denver for a weekend or something to get the feeling of everything.

About the gas prices. I do remember it being a bit cheaper in Dallas when we were down there in august, but not a lot cheaper. I was looking at the gas temperature map, and it seems like Dallas and denver is in the same range.

What kind of job are u looking on getting? Because the median income is also higher in Denver to offset a higher cost of lliving.

As for Public transportation, I never used the one in Dallas. but I like the Denver one. I use it to commute to work everyday, and it's really convinient. And this might be a biased opinion, but I have a couple of friends from Dallas, and they said that they liked Denver much better, because people are actually using it (this is not my opinion).

Yeah but in Dallas i remember everything to be a little bit cheaper. I think housing will be the biggest pinch for you moving to Denver.

For the highway infrastructure, i think it's a growing problem nationwide, it just happened to be featured boldly on the front page of the Denver Post a couple of days ago, So it seems to stick out more.

All in all i think you should go visit denver to get the feeling, coz IMO it's not about all the numbers and stuff. It's also about the atmopshere, culture, location, people, and other stuff.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:58 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,159,005 times
Why are you coming to Denver? If the main reason is to play outside then you know the answer. The cost of living increase is going to be worth it.

I moved from North Dallas last October. I had a blast in Dallas. Between the night life, the mountain biking, and the race track in Cresson. But when I had to the chance to move to Denver it was a no brainer. I knew things were more expensive. But I was more than willing to pay the mountain tax. Winter Park is 56 miles away....how far is it from Dallas?

The cost of homes are much higher. I have been looking for months in Arvada, Wheat Ridge, western lakewood, and Morrison. I want a two car garage something under 180k that doesn't need lots of work (That price will get you about 1000 sq ft). Those homes are out there but it takes some looking. The property tax on a 180k home in Jeffco County is about 1500.

You can buy MUCH more home for your money if you want to live nearer the airport. But in my opinion you are so far from the mountains its like living in Kansas

Anyways, come out for a weekend. Go check out the mountains and see if you think it will be worth the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver