Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,476 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to possibly relocate to Denver before the end of the year.....

I'm a 25 year old single female looking for a good neighborhood to live in. I'm not the richest person in the world so I'm trying to keep rent to right around the $600 mark.... I've been looking at the southern suburbs (Parker, Highlands Ranch and even into Castle Rock) for a low priced but NICE apartment (Yes I know that's hard to come by) ........ if anyone can point me to some apartments that are low priced, yet NICE and SAFE that would be great.......

also..... where's some good places to hang out to meet new people??? any nice clubs (as in HOBBY clubs, not dance clubs)..... I like dancing, pottery, art, photography is a BIGGIE with me.... I'm an artistic type.... I'd like to meet some nice people who have the same interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Kenyon Place Apartments! It's right in the middle of the action and not too far from downtown. Just a short trip up Downing and check out Washington Park on the way up.

Play volleyball. Meet people!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:13 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
Why are you going to live way out in the boonies?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Yes, I would have to agree with steveindenver, why the boonies??? Especially because you are interested in the Arts. Creative People are attracted to the city and the areas you mentioned do not have the same expansive level of clubs, activities, classes that you would find in Denver. These areas, Castle Rock, Highland Ranch, and Parker are mostly residential family suburbs and are distant from the excitment of Downtown Denver's venues, museums, theatre; such as the Denver Center for the Performing Arts The Denver Center For Performing Arts : Welcome Also, the availability of arts at the Auraria Campus is Downtown.

Perhaps you view the city as intimidating and dangerous; it is not. Denver has some great neighborhoods that have been described in this forum. You can look in the upcoming neighborhoods of Highland, West Highland or Berkeley with good access to Downtown. Or if you want to live next to Denver University, then University, University Park and Platt Park would be ideal, even better if you can find a place near a commuter rail station.

In addition many of the closer older suburbs have access the the city but have some interesting areas and access to facilities for the arts.

You can look for a place in Old Town Littleton. Very safe and established, rail station, and right near Arapahoe Community College. Another area would be the city of Englewood on South Broadway with rail access and down the road from the Baker neighborhood of Denver.

I live in Arvada and we have the Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities: It has many classes and clubs that would fit your interest. There are numerous apartments that exist in Arvada that should fit your budget in nice safe established neighborhoods, close to this Center and with easy accessibility to Denver.

There is Boulder and the University of Denver. Walkable and good public transit. Extensive creative venues that a major university creates. You may be able to find housing to meet your needs.

Livecontent

Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 PM

I like kind of out of the way places like I mentioned because I like to explore and I like to have SPACE to roam around. (I currently live in the burbs of Chicago and to decompress I will literally drive out west where it's still corn and dirt roads :P)

While I love to be around the arts and stuff, I don't know if I'd want to be SURROUNDED by the excitement of a city. I'm still young, but at the same time I kind of have this mindset of being a homebody that kind of creates a nest for my home :P That probably sounds so cheesy.

But ya, I would want to live AWAY from all the action and excitement and then drive TO it when I want to be in the middle of it.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for apartments, places to go, how to meet people?????

Even though I said I'd prefer to live kind of in the boonies I'm willing to hear suggestions from other youngish people who know of fun places to live and meet people

Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 119,945 times
Littleton, Parker, and Highlands Ranch are good, safe neighborhoods where you'll be able to find a nice, newer apartment that doesn't cost a fortune. In Parker and Littleton, you'll be closer to the Light Rail, which is an awesome way to get downtown when you want.

I'm 28 and I live in Littleton with my husband. Like you, I love what the city has to offer, but I don't want to be surrounded by it 24-7. I like being able to actually park my car (for free!) and to walk my dog and feel totally safe.

It's an easy 30 minute drive into Denver on the weekends for a Broncos game or a dinner out. Then we come home to a nice little house that backs up to open space, where there isn't so much noise and traffic. It's affordable, safe and friendly, which is all I need in this life!

Castle Rock is nice too, but getting farther away from where you're likely to find a job. It's a great suburb for people who work in the Tech Center though. Also a good place for couples who have one person working in Denver and another working in the Springs.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:35 PM

16 posts, read 119,945 times
One more thing, the south suburbs have lots of artsy/crafty opportunities and classes. Arapahoe Community College in Littleton has EXCELLENT art and craft classes, especially the pottery program. The park and recreation districts (like Foothills, South Suburban, etc) also offer classes in pottery, watercolor, sculpture, and so on. Those types of classes are great opportunities to meet people. Not all artsy folks live downtown!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
Does anyone else have any suggestions for apartments, places to go, how to meet people?????

Even though I said I'd prefer to live kind of in the boonies I'm willing to hear suggestions from other youngish people who know of fun places to live and meet people
If I had to recommend anywhere it would be the Hampden area where I currently live in Southeast Denver near Aurora and Greenwood Village. It is very convenient to I-225 or I-25, Park Meadows Mall, DTC, light rail, and downtown. The Savoy rents 1 beds for about $640 a month, it's right by the Dayton station.

As far as places to meet "youngish" people that aren't night clubs or bars, I have absolutely no clue. I have lived here for over 4 years and still haven't made more than a handful of friends, that are more like acquaintances compared to my friends back home. LoDo seems to be the only place young people go out in large numbers, but the music is too loud to converse and you may as well have leprocy if you're not a trust fund baby with Prada sunglasses and a Mercedes-Benz. There aren't like lots of college bars near DU or Regis or Auraria where average income 20 and 30 somethings congregate. I recently changed my major and decided to move back to Milwaukee because I miss that college, bohemian, artsy atmosphere. You will not find it anywhere here, not even Boulder.

Neither of your posts made mention of anything about wanting to be near the mountains. I only bring this up because the Rocky Mountains seem to be the single biggest attraction in bringing new residents to Colorado. I have found that after 4 years here, I am pretty much indifferent to the mountains. I could take 'em or leave 'em. That being said, Denver probably wouldn't seem cosmopolitan enough to somebody who wasn't a total nature lover. Especially if you're from Chicagoland.

Perhaps you should start looking a little closer to home if you want a big arts scene. I don't know what it is, but people from Chicago have an inferiority complex or something. It's the third largest city in America in terms of population. The Loop is the second largest central business district after Midtown Manhattan. It's nickname is the Second City, which refers to the fact that Chicago is second to only New York City in terms of culture and fine arts. Why everybody from Chicago is moving to Denver is beyond me.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM

that's the thing, I DO love nature a lot, and I love the mountains. I only stated my interest in the arts as a BASE to meet people and what not. My main reason for going to Denver is because I AM the outdoorsy type (just cuz I'm from the Chicagoland region CURRENTLY does not mean I have never lived somewhere else (which I have) which was less urban/suburban then where I am) I often drive to the west of chicago into the corn :P just to "find" new areas, and to see places that are not developed because I am currently SICK of being in such a congested city. It just took me and hour and 10 minutes to drive 20 miles!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
that's the thing, I DO love nature a lot, and I love the mountains. I only stated my interest in the arts as a BASE to meet people and what not. My main reason for going to Denver is because I AM the outdoorsy type (just cuz I'm from the Chicagoland region CURRENTLY does not mean I have never lived somewhere else (which I have) which was less urban/suburban then where I am) I often drive to the west of chicago into the corn :P just to "find" new areas, and to see places that are not developed because I am currently SICK of being in such a congested city. It just took me and hour and 10 minutes to drive 20 miles!!!!!!
If you want to escape urban congestion, then Denver probably isn't for you. Between the hours of 9am until 6pm it takes me about 45 min to an hour to travel from Hampden Heights to Capitol Hill, which is roughly 10 miles. Perhaps you should investigate smaller cities like Fort Collins or Boulder, that have relatively large fine arts scenes due to them being home to universities, but aren't nearly as congested as Denver Metro. There's also the often forgotten western slope cities like Durango and Grand Junction that offer much better access to all that the mountains have to offer. Last but not least don't forget about Santa Fe, NM, perhaps the artsiest city in America and located at the base of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver