Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 11,093 times

Advertisements

Hi, Can anyone give me a comparison of these three communities please?
1)driving and lightrail commute times to downtown denver
2)single family home rental prices (ballpark)
3)general feel of living there(subjective-I know)
4)are they all self-contained communities with their own amenities or are the amenities municipal in nature-how crowded do they get?----THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Stapleton is located IN the city of Denver. It is not a separate community, though it is a New Urbanist development and is pretty self-contained re: shopping, etc.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 AM

28 posts, read 109,942 times
Lonetree and Highlands Ranch are the suburbs. Stapleton is a new development kind of cookie cutters, but they are definitely nice designs. There is a shopping strip in the middle of Stapleton and in the general area. Stapleton is probably 10-15 minutes from downtown. Lonetree and Highland Ranch are further away. I don't think Stapleton is self-contained as it is in Denver and everything is within 20 minutes.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
I lived near stapleton, and it's pretty nice. It is near I-70 and I-270, and not too bad to take the smaller streets downtown (probably 15-20 minutes). All the new construction is fantastic, but not sure how it got hit in the housing crunch.

The only real issues with it are that it's an island of new development which is surrounded by some pretty run down and nasty neighborhoods, the soil might be contaminated (Lowry to the south is with perchlorate, i.e. jet fuel), and rush hour around the highways and Quebec is hideous. Stay away from the edges, especially the North (a prison is located a good distance to the North).

Lonetree is really far south, and has a pretty harsh commute to downtown. I read in the paper people complaining about energy costs and such of sunning back and forth, and there isn't alot of real commercial development down there from what I heard. It's mostly rich ranchettes that moved from Parker.

Highlands Ranch has a bunch of new construction, closer to downtown (still a bit far), and more ammenities.

Drive around the areas to see what you think, if you have to get a short term rental. If the area looks like crap, it probably is. Ask if there has been any trouble lately, and if they refuse to answer find some where else. Lowry North apartments does well for temporary and easy drive around, on 11th and Syracuse, though it's next to a ghetto complex but they offer month to month. Don't leave any valuables in your car though and get a unit near the East.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
HR and Lonetree are suburban - cul-de-sacs, strip malls, etc. Stapleton is new construction (and still building) but built on a grid system, traditional architecture, small lots, garages on alleys, lots of parks and running paths, has its own good schools, near everything in central Denver and downtown.

I'd say it just depends on your preference. If you really want a large yard, HR or Lonetree would be your best bet. If you're more urban minded and want to be close to everything in Denver, Stapleton's your best bet.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:06 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
OP asked about driving times, too. LoneTree is pretty close to I-25 and during rush hour it will take probably 30-40 minutes to get downtown once you are on the highway. Highlands Ranch is very spread out over many miles, so it is impossible to say how long the commute to downtown would be.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:25 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,477 times
I live in HR off of University Blvd 470. Im 20 mins away from downtown Denver. I live on a hill and can see the city from my street.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,770 times
Tew, you and I are probably only blocks away from each other...I'm just north of University and west of Colorado. When did you move here?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM

91 posts, read 340,241 times
Default Stapleton

As far as the commute goes, you won't beat Stapleton. Even if the highways are jammed up, you can get downtown in 15 minutes taking other streets. Stapleton also has great parks and great shopping and seems to be a very smart development. I don't technically live in Stapleton, though. I moved into one of the older neighborhoods just a few blocks south of Montview (the southern edge of Stapleton), for the sole purpose of mooching off of all the great things Stapleton has to offer without having to pay the higher prices of a Stapleton home (plus I like old houses with character).

Also, one other factor to consider is that Stapleton is one of the few neighborhoods in the Denver area where houses are still appreciating in value.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Highlands Ranch is an unincorporated planned community in Douglas County. It has lots of walking/running trails, lots of parks, and 4 rec centers that are each a little different. I don't use the gyms, but I think they can get crowded at peak times. The entire community was built from about the mid-1980's to present, so there is no old downtown, or anything. Town Center on Highlands Ranch Parkway between Lucent and Broadway is sort of the "downtown". There are big box stores, smaller retail, a library, Civic Green Park, a park -n-ride, and some townhomes and condos. To me, it seems to sort of be "the place to be" for young families. There is a light rail station at Santa Fe and Mineral in Littleton. The line is supposed to extend down to HR on Lucent eventually. Median home price is $300,000. That is about what ours is worth. It is 4 bed/2.5 bath, 2030 sf on a 7800 sf lot plus an unfinished basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver