Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 21,665 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Denver from Colorado Springs & do not know anything about it. Can someone tell me what areas to avoid, i.e. crime, scummy neighborhoods, etc.? We may have to rent a place sight-unseen & want to be sure we don't get stuck in a bad place.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM

402 posts, read 1,261,528 times
Maybe tell us what area of Denver (around Denver) you're looking at. Is the relocation for work? where will you work? etc. Then we can suggest some good areas. Denver's kind of big and undesirable areas are more of a street by street thing.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 PM

Ok. We're not looking at any specific area yet because we just don't know where. My fiance works for Swift Transportation (& that is what the relocation is for), located on Rosemary in the 80216 zip code, near Quebec & 70. I'll be looking for work once we get there.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,465,602 times
Well, 80216 is Montbello. It and 80239 to the east are two of the most depressed areas in terms of home values with low performing schools and statistically higher crime than average in Denver.

There are pleny of safe areas around there, but amenities, price ranges and other factors come into play.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 PM

402 posts, read 1,261,528 times
Well I'd personally stay south of I70 in that case. That puts you right in the Stapleton area. I'm sure there's a ton of threads on here about Stapleton. I like the area and meet up with some friends for drink every so often near 29th and Quebec. My impression is that it's very clean and pretty upscale area. I know more about the south/west side of Denver near Littleton/Highlands Ranch and the Thornton/Northglenn area, so others will chime in I'm sure.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:05 PM

That actually helps, thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,931,864 times
Why do you need to relocate sight-unseen from CS? It's only an hour away!

As for your location, as mentioned, the obvious choice would be Stapleton, but it's a little on the expensive side for both rent and property values. Avoid some of the other areas nearby (Commerce City, Northeast Park Hill, Montbello, North Aurora, Green Valley Ranch) as they are not very desirable areas, depending on who you talk to.

You could also consider the Mayfair/Montclair neighborhoods of Denver. They are nice, near Stapleton, but not quite as expensive as other Denver neighborhoods. They'd still give you good access to Quebec to drive north to your job location. Park Hill is very nice indeed south of about 26th Ave, but as you get further north and east, towards I-70, it's not very nice at all (of course this is debatable) -- so Park Hill is recommended as long as you stay south and west.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Why do you need to relocate sight-unseen from CS? It's only an hour away!
Because we don't have a vehicle at this time & need to move before we'll be able to obtain one.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 PM

686 posts, read 3,706,941 times
scummy neighborhood in denver would be right near 30th and downing. Real poor and fairly dirty. I stayed in this neighborhood for a week, walked through it, and didn't have a problem though.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:45 AM

28 posts, read 109,666 times
I mainly agree with tfox. Stapleton could be considered North Park Hill; it is only because it is on an old airport and is a new development is what make people call it Stapleton. North Park Hill is pre-dominately a black community and lower income area. I would not say it as dangerous as people make it out to be.

Green Valley Ranch is diverse and is statistically the lowest crime area in Denver. Mostly car break-in and some burglaries; mostly in the foreclosed empty homes. Problem is that there are many foreclosures there, so home prices will be staying low for a while and I hear a bad schools.

Besides that I agree with t-fox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver