Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
Interesting point. People out here complain that such streaks are unusual. But we've experienced such streaks several times every summer since we moved here in 2004. To me, it shouldn't be referred to as being so unusual.

Was it just summer of 2008 that was like that, or does it happen every summer? I may have to readjust my thinking on weather and choose the negative I can best live with.
It doesn't happen EVERY summer, in fact, I can think of a few summers where we hardly turned on the AC. I believe last summer (2007), we didn't have any days >100 degrees, at least here in Boulder Co. But such stretches of hot, hot, days are not uncommon. The hottest weather is from about late June until mid-August. After that, at least the nights start cooling off.

I would refer you to some weather websites. Any of them can tell you average high, low, and record temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM

229 posts, read 750,718 times
Whoa! Let me know if you find this place as I'm interested in going.

I don't think you'll like Denver for #'s 2, 3, 5, & 6. It sounds like your looking for an east coast city with the weather of California and the prices of the midwest or south. Most of Denver feels suburban and has a lot of chain restaurants. If those things are really priorities, you might want to look elsewhere or give up a few of them. I personally love this place, but it sounds like it doesn't meet your requirements or I'm misunderstanding the priorities you're placing on them. Don't get me wrong, you can find this stuff in Denver, but it'll take harder work on your part or a little sacrifice.

Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore & DC were my first thoughts but they're expensive and don't hit the weather needs. I don't know, I'd say Sacramento - light rail, nice weather, maybe more diversity, outdoors things, more affordable homes than the bay area, easy move for you. It sounds like California is a better spot for your goals (excluding the price issue) - I just don't know that state very well to give good advice.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
Most of Denver feels suburban and has a lot of chain restaurants. If those things are really priorities, you might want to look elsewhere or give up a few of them.
Metro Denver may arguably be more characterized by suburbia and chains than some other major cities. If that's true, I'd say not significantly more so than average. Actually much of (the city of) Denver is pre-automobile historic neighborhoods with some suburban-style neighborhoods. Many of the historic areas like Wash Park, Cap Hill or Highlands have comparatively very few chain stores or restaurants. (the 16th street mall, of course, is a major exception to this).

Denver's suburbs, are, of course, very suburban on the outer fringes, a bit more diverse on the inner ring of suburbs. This is true of most major metros, however,

Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
There's really no one place that meets all your criteria.

#1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Denver is a big city. Greater Denver CSA is 2.8 million. The way I describe Denver to people is it's as small as you can get while still being a Big City.

In terms of #2 on your list you would definitely want to be located in the core of Denver where all the attractions and events are. Somewhere in the triangle bounded by Cherry Creek, downtown, and City Park.

In terms of #3, if you want walkability to frou frou boutique stores, overpriced junk, little pizza places, and "alternative" culture places, you've got it made. Otherwise true walkability to practical stores will make at least having one car seem important. Stapleton and Lowry, as "new urbanist" developments, could be the middle ground you're looking for. Or somewhere by Broadway/Alameda, there's a major shopping center there with an Albertson's, Sam's Club, etc, but it's surrounded by old, "urban" neighborhoods. If you just want a car-free commute to work, then live in an area next to a light rail line. During snow storms though, not having a car will make mobility extremely difficult, unpleasant, or impossible.

#4-- anywhere in the metro area will be good for that.

#5-- I don't know-- there will be some pretty heavy duty periods of searing heat and bitter cold and blowing snow to put up with. Denver's probably not the climate you're looking for.

#6-- The most culturally diverse (cosmopolitan is the world I like to use) parts of Denver are Aurora, Glendale/east Denver, and parts of west/northwest Denver, Wheatridge, and Lakewood. It's typically your 1950s-80s suburban areas that have the most diversity, NOT the gentrified picture perfect "historic" areas.

#7-- I know of a LOT of private schools in Denver. I don't know of any cheap private schools. If you weren't so hung up on the "urban" thing I would recommend you live in the attendance area of the high school I graduated from (Smoky Hill), it would be right up your alley, combining great education (Cherry Creek School district) AND a tremendous amount of ethnic and international diversity. But it's not dense and urban, so you probably won't be interested.

#8-- You could find areas of the metro area that would meet your housing needs at a variety of price points. You might have to give up something though. What's your budget?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 29,771 times
Have you given any thought to moving east?

I am thinking that Asheville, NC may have a lot of the stuff you are looking for. Awesome outdoors life, mild winters, cultural diversity, a real lack of chain stores

Maybe worth throwing it into the mix.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,188 times
Thanks to those of you who have provided me constructive information in helping me decide if Denver is for me. I know my list sounds like I'm describing a Utopian place to live. But its just that, a list of what I would get in the "dream" situation. From there, I can look at each place and decide where I am able/willing to compromise. But first, I have to get the information and feedback.

So thanks again. You've given me a lot to chew on.

Thanks for the suggestion of Asheville. We thought about that and I love its progrssive bent, but its a bit small in terms of population, kinda out of the way (i.e. far from a major airport, 2 hrs from Charlotte, and I know, I didn't mention this in my long list of "requirements", lol), and there doesn't seem to be much of an opportunity for professional jobs, particularly in Finance (which is something else I failed to mention in my list).

Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
Quote:
Most of Denver feels suburban and has a lot of chain restaurants.
Err? Maybe in the Suburbs it does? The city of Denver on the other hand doesn't.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM

229 posts, read 750,718 times
Downtown certainly doesn't feel suburban. But the rest of the city may feel that way for someone who has lived in San Francisco, NYC, and DC. But a less-dense urban feel may be a nice change for someone used to that.

As for some finance jobs, I think both Oppenheimer & S&P are in the tech center (an office park south of downtown), Fiserv is downtown. Unless your talking about banking or corporate finance - I guess those could be almost anywhere.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 PM

351 posts, read 649,833 times
It sounds like you're probably looking for a larger, more cosmopolitan city like Philly, Chicago, Boston, etc.

Denver is a great town and you'll have plenty of great outdoors opportunities for your family, but it's not nearly as jazzy/historic/diverse/mass transit-centered as you're looking for. I guess it all just depends on how badly you want that stuff. You're gonna have to take a car to Denver and you're definitely not going to see a very large black popular. And the cultural scene in Denver, though robust, is nowhere near what you've found in the Bay Area. And, not gonna lie, Denver is cold and snow in the winter.

If you can get over that stuff and appreciate the many qualities that make Denver such a great place to live, you'll do just fine.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM

351 posts, read 649,833 times
And now that I think of it...St. Louis might actually be your best bet. The weather is much more mild than Denver's (save the occasional hot spell in the summer) and it's much more culturally and historically rich. Diversity is also a big selling point. And while you don't have the mountains, you do have plenty of outdoorsy opportunities in the Ozarks and wine country just south of town. It's more affordable than Denver and there are plenty of safe, friendly, and urban communities. Like Denver, the urban public school are terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver