Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 13,462 times

Advertisements

Okay, not really allergic to Denver. In fact, I absolutely love this town. I'm so excited to be here, and I'm impatient to explore the city and the surrounding environs.

I'm nearing the end of my second week here, and the strangest thing... this week, I've been exhausted. Like, a lot. I get home from work, and all I want to do is crawl into bed. I get up in the morning, and feel ready for a nap an hour later.

Maybe it's the stress of having moved across the country, or maybe not. But blaming the altitude is starting to feel like a really lame excuse.

Does anyone else remember experiencing anything like this? Maybe it's just me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 04:34 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
The altitude thing is a big deal and can take weeks to get used to, really. You are a mile high now, where did you come from?

My one piece of advice: water water water. It really does help. And it'll explain to you why you see everyone carrying water bottles and why they are being sold everywhere. lol!

Welcome to Denver, I'm glad you are enjoying it here!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,462 times
I moved here from the D.C. area where the elevation was, like, 4.

I'm originally from Phoenix, and growing up, we used to go camping a lot in the White Mountains in eastern Arizona, where the altitude is over 8,000... but we were never there for extended periods. Maybe that's the difference.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Don't blame the altitude, blame the alcohol!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 PM

355 posts, read 1,404,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelstone View Post
Okay, not really allergic to Denver. In fact, I absolutely love this town. I'm so excited to be here, and I'm impatient to explore the city and the surrounding environs.

I'm nearing the end of my second week here, and the strangest thing... this week,
just this second week ? did you feel tired at all through the first week?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:39 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
You're probably dehydrated. Actually, most of what people attribute to "altitude" in Denver is really due to dehydration. Drink lots of water and you'll be fine.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:01 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,095 times

I suspect the altitude adjustment is what's causing this. Although the body adapts in due time, it's really quite a big change for the body to deal with. Most Colorado transplants, even the one's who've been here for a few years already, really tend to underestimate the effects of altitude.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:20 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
A few points for people visiting or moving to the Colorado area:

Water - drink lots and lots of water. The altitude and the dry factor will take a toll on the body.

Speaking of water, many people are not used to the dry air here. You need to humidify your home and it's that time of year the heater kicks on. Some people claim they don't need it but it makes a difference in your whole body state. I use them even though I have lived my entire life here, they help me feel less stressed when I come home to decent humidity.

Decent food. Yep, good nutrition really helps people no matter where you live but in higher altitudes, eating well is important. Cut out the crappy carbs, eat good proteins and if you can't afford fresh veggies, frozen veggies are a great alternative.

Sleep is important. If your bedroom isn't completely dark figure out a way to make it so. If you can shield things like your alarm clock and other sources of light. It's been said that even a tiny bit of light can disrupt your sleep. Conversely, as the days shift from summer to winter, make sure to get a good dose of sunlight through the day as much as you can.

You are experiencing a lot of the same things many transplants experience and it's mostly because of altitude. One woman on the C Springs forum was having difficulty still have several weeks here.

Good luck and welcome to CO!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,515 times
It's the altitude. Go to Walmart and get a can of oxygen. It's called POD (in the vitamin area). It's made in Breckenridge and is the size of a small can of hairspray. My mom and my sis are here from Florida, they are using it!! We are on our way to Breckenridge in 30 minutes. We'll see how they do up there!!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 AM

53 posts, read 147,384 times
Altitude. It's a real thing. I live in a high altitude - Salt Lake City, Utah, but when I go up to the Uintahs or even Park City, I feel it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver