U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:24 AM

8,474 posts, read 18,955,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroyboy View Post
I'm in the same boat, looking for a small town around Denver. Really looking at Evergreen/Parker areas. I live in Sacramento now, and can the commute around Denver be as bad as it is here in California? I hear of the hellish commute in Denver, but how does it compare to here? I guess I will know in 2 days, because we leave for Denver to check the place out.
We live in central Parker and I make the commute from here to downtown Denver Monday-Friday and basically have NO traffic to contend with. However, I do start work at 7 AM ....not 8 or 9 AM, which can make a lot of difference. But, after living in Southern California for a number of years, we will tell you that "basically" the Denver area does NOT have any of the traffic problems like Southern Calif. or some other areas of the U.S. Just after we moved here in 2002, we drove up to Denver (from Englewood) on a Saturday morning and were TOTALLY stunned that there was NO (NONE, "natta" ) traffic to contend with!! It was so nice!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 AM

24,402 posts, read 45,278,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We live in central Parker and I make the commute from here to downtown Denver Monday-Friday and basically have NO traffic to contend with. However, I do start work at 7 AM ....not 8 or 9 AM, which can make a lot of difference. But, after living in Southern California for a number of years, we will tell you that "basically" the Denver area does NOT have any of the traffic problems like Southern Calif. or some other areas of the U.S. Just after we moved here in 2002, we drove up to Denver (from Englewood) on a Saturday morning and were TOTALLY stunned that there was NO (NONE, "natta" ) traffic to contend with!! It was so nice!!
I concur with the quoted posting, LoveBoating is right on the money. I'm from the area of Fairfax County, VA and the DC area, and I can tell you that traffic here is nowhere near as bad as back east. Traffic in the DC area is rated second worst after SoCAL. When we first saw the north end of Colorado Springs (Briargate area, zip 80920) we were in disbelief at what great roads they had here. I walked out of my motel at 9AM, what is typically the height of rush hour, and I saw 6-lane Briargate Parkway (I-25, exit 151) totally DEVOID of traffic, save a measly six cars that were leisurely making their way down to I-25. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Denver, with 2.5 million people, does have traffic, but nothing like the horrors of back east or SoCAL.

s/mike

Old 02-26-2007, 02:39 PM

11,654 posts, read 32,624,785 times
Q u i t i t.

Quit telling people we don't have traffic issues here...

It's a secret that the only fabulous thing we don't have is an ocean, but we all know where to find an airport.

Listen, if folks really knew about the lifestyle, the four seasons, the snow, the sun, the skiing, the fishing, the nightlife, the boating, the houses, my word you can live downtown, uptown, suburban, rural, horses, mountain, farm, you can have llamas, horses, cows, dogs, sheep, goats, or alpacas. You can get up and go visit Nederland for Frozen Dead Guy Festival, the stock show, the butterfly pavilion, the Nuggets, the Avs, the Rox, the Bronco Nation, the views of the majestic mountains, light Rail, Del Frisco's...

It is Denver Resturant Week - you have to try it! $52.80 per couple...OMG we have reservations out every night this week!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:26 PM

34 posts, read 181,074 times
Compaired to Detroit, traffic in Denver is awful.

Whoever set up the timing patterns on the traffic signals needs fired. That alone causes half of the problems on the major streets.

Also the lack of the freeway directly east out of downtown puts lots of traffic on the smaller streets.

I've been trying to decide where to buy based on my commute and schools, and have accepted that i'll have a timely commute (to the mousetrap).

Old 02-27-2007, 10:06 AM

40 posts, read 196,609 times
I must agree with the previous poster, Denver DOES have its traffic issues. I'm from Chicago and the traffic in Denver is nowhere near as bad, but to make it sound like Denver has no traffic is misleading. The completion of TREX has made a big difference for commuters coming from the south metro area but traffic is still an issue here.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 AM

346 posts, read 1,518,287 times
Sorry, but you haven't seen real traffic until you've been to Southern California. It does not matter what time of the day--freeways are a mess. Conversely, my brother and husband left north Aurora at 7:15 on a Tuesday morning, traveled down to Parker (saw zero traffic on the other side), came back north to Denver Tech area as well as Denver, then went back down to Parker, arriving at 9:20a.m. They were in disbelief at how far they'd gone in such a short amount of time. Maybe they picked the wrong day (?) It takes my husband 90 minutes to travel 21 miles from work to home. (Orange County to San Gabriel Valley--L.A. County) If he could cut that time in half, we'd be very happy!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,498,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwings View Post
Also the lack of the freeway directly east out of downtown puts lots of traffic on the smaller streets.
Thank goodness for "the lack of a freeway directly east out of downtown" -- that's the last thing we'd want or need and I hope we never have one!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:41 PM

11,654 posts, read 32,624,785 times
I guess I-70 isn't big enough, or Colfax isn't fast enough.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:06 AM

90,351 posts, read 114,846,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I walked out of my motel at 9AM, what is typically the height of rush hour, and I saw 6-lane Briargate Parkway (I-25, exit 151) totally DEVOID of traffic, save a measly six cars that were leisurely making their way down to I-25. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Denver, with 2.5 million people, does have traffic, but nothing like the horrors of back east or SoCAL.

s/mike
9 AM is hardly the height of rush hour. Most people have to be at work by 8 at the latest. There is usually lots of traffic on 1-25 north of about Monument both ways, at all times of day, all days of the week that I have been on it. Agreed, it's not as bad as DC or Socal but so what? Who wants to use DC or Socal as the basis for comparison?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 10,021 times
I'm a geologist in Denver. I'd stay to the west side of Denver metro area. In addition to a great CO School of Mines library, the USGS geologic library is even better. Located in the Federal Center in Lakewood.

I'd use Google Earth to help make your housing area choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver