Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
yes you will end u snowed out and maybe facing ice for roads.
lol! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 10:22 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,174 times
Its a blizzard every day!! We havent seen the sun in months!! they cancelled the 4th of July fireworks because of snow!! My igloo just got the internet yesterday!!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:56 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
My igloo just got the internet yesterday!!
What the heck is an igloo? Is it similar to an iPhone or iPod?

Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,876 times
Default I moved from AZ also.

I was in Cottonwood and moved to Castle Rock. Love it here. On major snow days we stay at home and no one cares. We don't have that many really...
On minor snow days you just have to leave earlier, about a half an hour.
Also I wish I'd bought the four wheel drive before I came. Trading in a rear wheel drive in Denver is a joke.
michelle

Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,897 times
ok, some of these posters may be teasing you a tad....
as a 23 year Denver resident, now a 22 year Arizona resident.....
if you have a front wheel drive car, you'll do pretty well. Tires good? Doubt you'll need anything different than the tires your car came with.
Buy a ice scraper or 2 and a snow brush when you get here. Forget finding them outside of Flagstaff in Az.
Replace your windshield wipers before you leave Arizona(for those unfamiliar with Az, wipers bake in the heat, become brittle and literally break into pieces downhere. Then again, we only use them 1 or 2 times a year usually..)
Find the rear window defrost button on your car and learn how to use it.
Throw together a emergency kit for your car....blanket, couple of granola bars, gloves, warm cap. Just in case you should be out in timbucktoo and slide off into a ditch or something.
If your car does well during Phoenix summers, your heater will do fine in Colorado.
Don't tailgate.
Pump your brakes, read about how to steer if you slide.
And most importantly....peel off the D/backs and Cardinals stickers before crossing the stateline. Get your Broncos sticker and after you've got your license plate, get that "Colorado Native" sticker like all the other newbies do...or at least did.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Find the rear window defrost button on your car and learn how to use it.

Throw together a emergency kit for your car....blanket, couple of granola bars, gloves, warm cap. Just in case you should be out in timbucktoo and slide off into a ditch or something.

Don't tailgate.

Pump your brakes, read about how to steer if you slide.
Excellent advice, but many people already in Colorado didn't seem to get the memo...or tossed it in the trash

Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellerelopro View Post
I was in Cottonwood and moved to Castle Rock. Love it here. On major snow days we stay at home and no one cares. We don't have that many really...
On minor snow days you just have to leave earlier, about a half an hour.
Also I wish I'd bought the four wheel drive before I came. Trading in a rear wheel drive in Denver is a joke.
michelle
Where do YOU work? I want to apply there!

My kids rarely had a snow day, from 1989 to 2005!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:15 PM

355 posts, read 555,191 times
I sent my kids to MasterDrive because they have a program that teaches people to slide and how to correct. There are other programs as well. All three of the kids said the classes helped them in the winter. AWD or FWD is essential. However, learn how to put your car in FWD before you need it. We've seen SUV's slip sliding around because transplants didn't know how to switch to FWD.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
Its a blizzard every day!! We havent seen the sun in months!! they cancelled the 4th of July fireworks because of snow!! My igloo just got the internet yesterday!!
LOL My friend woke up to snow in August while she was camping. Yet she went camping last weekend and not a drop. Of course that was in the mountains. FYI, I have seen it snow here in Denver in June. It's lovely and of course doesn't stick.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where do YOU work? I want to apply there!

My kids rarely had a snow day, from 1989 to 2005!
My kids were convinced that the Superintendant of Schools was from Alaska because they hardly ever had a snow day. Almost the same years as yours Then my daughter moved to AK and has now decided we are all wimps here. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver