Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:57 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Q: Am I crazy...leaving all my friends behind to move to Denver?
A: Hell no. It's your life. You have to live it for yourself. Unless they pay all your bills, tell them: "ta-ta, do come visit."

Now that we resolved that... on to the dry skin thing. Its only a real problem for a precious few people. If you don't have any sort of serious condition now, you shouldn't have one here. Remember, 2.5M people live here, no one has died yet of low humidity that I know of. It's a semi-desert climate, yes, semi-desert, or in Government terms "Alpine Desert." Low humidity is a blessing for many folks. I hated the humidity back east - it SUCKS.

Here's what you need to live long and prosper: Sunglasses; baseball cap or sun visor; sunscreen; chapstick; skin lotion of your choice - cheap is okay - buy a quart jug; quart bottle of water. It's sounds like a day at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM

13 posts, read 38,747 times
Default I might be crazy too...

I'm a 30 year old female in NYC, thinking of packing up as well & moving to Denver in July/August. Yeah, freaking out about leaving my friends, but as someone on this thread mentioned, you can't base these sorts of decisions on who you already know. I moved to London a few years ago, knowing no one, and made a ton of friends.
My questions.. I'm 30 & single and want to live in the heart of Denver where you can walk to shops, restaurants & parks. However, I don't want to live in a post-college early twenties area. Any recommendations?
Also, is everyone in their 30's married or is there a decent single scene?

Old 03-13-2007, 06:10 AM

14 posts, read 51,035 times
This posting totally makes me feel not so alone about picking up and moving to Denver. I am 31 and single and going this weekend to checkout neighborhoods and try to meet new people. I also plan on moving in June of this year. I have heard the Washington Park neighborhood is fantastic for walking to parks and for singles in their 30's. ( Please someone speak of if I have this all wrong) I'll let you all know what I see when I come back!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:46 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Not to scare any of you off, from moving here, BUT, we do get a WINTER here and despite how many people here say that the winters here are "mild" ones........we still can get heavy snow and pretty cold temps at times. And, as far as the snow melting fairly quickly, that doesn't always happen either.
Good Luck to any of you that are interested in moving here.
As an added note: If a lot of people would visit the Denver metro area in the middle of the winter, when there is 6 plus inches of snow on the ground and you have to "bundle up" to go outside and you are driving 20 miles an hour on the freeway due to "white out" conditions......I truly believe that not nearly as many people would want to move here if they had to go thru that.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I grew up in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, lived in Champaign, IL for 7 yrs, upstate New York and Delaware for a few years before coming to Colorado in 1980. I think the Denver area has a way milder winter than any of the above except for Delaware. There have been two years since we lived here that have had significant lengthly snow cover, this year and 1992-93. And even then, the roads were passable most of the time. The snow is usually gone in a few days, and there are usually weeks of warm, sunny weather between snowstorms. It is not unusual for the temperature to be 65 degrees on Christmas Day! You do not need the warm winter clothes you need in Illinois. I gradually got rid of all the wool slacks, etc. You don't need boots to keep your feet warm but a few days a year. By comparison, Pittsburgh's temps are similar in the up and down department, but it is extremely gloomy and Illinois has a good hard core winter in January and February. Upstate NY is legendary for its snow. Delaware has a more maritime climate with more rain and more "moderate" temps, though it does get cold and occasionally snow there.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 22,454 times
Default i did it...

I definitely hear ya! I just moved to Denver this last weekend from Houston. Huge move for me, being that Im only 19.

Everything seemed to fall into place. It has been the best decision. Of course, its been less than a week, but this is definitely where I belong. If you are meant to live in Denver, youll know it.

As far as being alone, it takes time. I have yet to make any friends here, but I know there are several people that are in my shoes. I have a big problem of getting out there and making friends for myself, but its something that in time, will come! Just think positively. Things will get bad, but know that they will get better!

In other words, if this is something you want, go for it! If you dont, you might regret the opprotunity. I love it, and Denver is absolutely perfect!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:15 PM

14 posts, read 51,035 times
Ok. I went to Denver / Boulder this weekend and promised a few folks that I would write how it went but thought I would post so others could hear. First of all...how spoiled was I that I picked a weekend in March and it was 70 degrees and sunny. UNBELIEVABLE.

So I fell in love with Denver all over again. It is absolutely gorgeous. I felt like a kid everytime I turned a corner and saw the snow capped mountains in the background...I literally gasped out loud it was so gorgeous.

I checked out Washington Park and stayed in Cherry Creek ( right beside Washington Park). Washington Park was fantastic ( as was Cherry Creek). There were tons of people walking, rollerblading, cycling, hanging out etc around the park. There were also TONS of dogs out and about.... Lots of young ( 20's - 40's)walking around. Folks hanging out on their front porches...great neighborhood feel. I did see that the East was more expensive than the West side of the park but both are nice. ( someone mentioned that fact in a post earlier) Lots of shops, pubs, restaurants right there. Loved it.

I felt very safe and very comfortable. Even met folks when sitting at the bar eating lunches by myself. Went for a run with one of triathlon groups on Saturday, which it seems like there are so many types of groups, that is the ticket for meeting people.

Hope this helps others that are nervous. The people are very nice, helpful, friendly.

Good luck to everyone that is also contemplating a move.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 62,270 times
Default Go For It!

Oh Skimore,

I left Denver 2 1/2 years ago for South Florida and I am glad I did, I met my partner, but we are relocating back to Denver This April and are filled with anticipation and excitement. Denver is not NY, Chicago, or LA, but I had to leave there for 2 1/2 years to appreciate what I had left. Denver is an awesome city, very cosmopolitan, great weather, friendly people and if you like being in the city, Denver has a lot to offer. Then just think, 1/2 an hour in a car and you are as far from the city as can be. Don't even get me started about skiing. Go for it!. If you need any token Gay friends who love to cook and entertain we will be there in two months and are accepting applications for friends. Just kidding, we would love to meet you. Good luck! See ya in Denver

Old 03-22-2007, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 10,037 times
Default Denver to San Diego

I just did the opposite one year ago. I moved from Denver to San Diego after having lived in Denver for 3 years. The things I read hear about the Denver weather are failry accurate (except for not requring air conditioning) - the weather changes at the drop of a hat, but because the altitude is so high, you'll feel warm if you are in the sun and pretty cold if you are in the shade (winter time).
They basically have 3 seasons - fall, winter, and summer; sometimes the summer is spring-like, but mostly it is hot.

I think you'll get cabin-fever in the winter.
If your an outdoors kind of person - hiking, camping, skiiing, etc., then you will probably enjoy yourself.

The air quality in the city is questionable and they have pretty strict fireplace buring restrictions.
I find the traffic not much better than San Diego.

For me...., I miss seasons. Fall is a magical time.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 AM

170 posts, read 761,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimoore55 View Post
Alright I've pretty much decided to make the big move to Denver. I've only visited two short times and am pretty much doing this on gut instinct (and all the helpful info on this site)! I really don't know anyone in Denver and will be leaving all my friends behind in San Diego. I'm 29/f and love the outdoors and mountains. Denver seems to have everything I would want (good nightlife, cultural events, great outdoor lifestyle, fantastic weather, affordable housing, and other professional singles). Does anyone have any advice for me as I make this big transition knowing no one and working from home? I plan to head out in May/June time frame. Thanks for any help!
Hey!

I moved from South Texas to Colorado Springs about a month ago and did not know a soul here! I moved because I wanted a better quality of life, great weather, sunshine and I wanted to be able to see the mountains whenever I looked to the west! Just like you, something in my gut was telling me there was something else out there for me. I can tell you I am so happy and at peace with my decision! People in Colorado seem happier and friendlier than elsewhere! I hope you make your big move if that's what your gut is telling you to do! Best of luck to you!!

p.s. I think you will find you will have no shortage of visitors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver