U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 PM

11 posts, read 36,104 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Denver next month and can't come up with a decision on where to live. We are both 30 and professional. What are the pro's and con's of living in both of these places? Thanks for helping us make our decision!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:44 PM

5,408 posts, read 11,322,070 times
There's a big difference. Platte River downtown is very urban, although there is a nice park along the river. Very close to all of the action in LoDo, if that's what you want. DTC is suburban, but you can hop the light rail and be downtown very easily.

Where will you be working? Do you care about the commute? What do you want to be closest to?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
Default Totally confused

Hello,

I too am moving to the denver area and have no idea on where to live. My wife and I are 30 years old and professionals with no kids. Enjoy Baseball, snowboarding and microbrews.

Please suggest a good area... Our budget is around 1000 dollars / month

Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,634,446 times
Do you like plain vanilla or do you like flavor?

IMO, DTC is a God Awful form of everywhereville with office highrises. Pretty much something that is outside of every major city.

The downtown area near the Platte River is interesting, and can only be found in Denver. Its your choice.

Many people on this forum love everywhereville,.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,259,329 times
Where will you be working.

How did you come to decide on just the Platte River area of Denver? There are many better and more interesting places within the city limits.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 36,104 times
Ha funny you should say that! We want to either be close to a park for our dog or close to the light rail so we can get to downtown easily. We looked at apartment complexes all around denver and narrowed it down to 2. One on the platte river and one in DTC. We really liked the Wash park area but there aren't that many apartment complexes. There are a lot of rentals on craigs list for wash park but we aren't able to come early enough to check them out... tough decision to make!!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,634,446 times
The lightrail ride from DTC to Downtown has to be a long ass ride. I only rode the lightrail to DU. Does it even go to the tech center?

Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,598,665 times
Platte Park all the way!! DTC = boring!!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:59 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,259,329 times
DTC is the definition of suburban sprawl and poor growth planning. If you don't work in DTC there is very little reason to ever visit that end of town; until the Ikea goes up down there anyway.

Platte Park is interesting but there are better options in the area, notably places that are closer to grocery and general retail.

Off leash is a big no no in Cheeseman Park as they have strict enforcement seemingly in that park alone. City Park is larger and you can get away with off leash more frequently.

You can find plenty of rental options in the Cheeseman Park, Uptown and City Park areas ranging from old houses to brand new condos.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,223,819 times
Platte Park is my vote hands down. Especially since you don't have kids, or do you? Only because you have no worries with safety, schools, etc. And since you aren't buying right away I assume, I'd go for the urban part of Denver. The burbs can be gawd awful. And yeah, I agree with Awesome above, DTC is sprawling and full of offices, really boring.

My husband and I were just down in the Platte Park area and thought it was really cool. Only we already own in a sprawling burb and honestly rent is just atrocious compared to what we get for our fixed mortgage. I can understand if you are just moving here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: