Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 AM

17 posts, read 75,216 times

Advertisements

Hi People. My wife and I are moving to either Denver or CS this coming year. Since we live in Louisiana, we can't get a good feel for the areas without flying our butts up there. Two things I'd like to address, the large amount of forclosers in Denver and the amount of crime (remember I'm from New Orleans, comparing the two crime stats, I'd even take my chances wearing a money suit in Denver). Could anyone give me your thoughts on these two matters. Also, My wife and I are looking at the area south of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR. How is that area and if that area is bad could you suggest an area to look into? My wife and I are a friendly yet not up your butt neighbor and animal lovers so we are looking for a place that we could possibly raise some little grishems' in the future. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Grish'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:28 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Do a search on Montbello.

What is your price range?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 AM

We are trying to find a house that cost in the 100 to 120 area... we seem to be finding some in taht price range in Denver. Our goal is to get something that we could have enough money every month to add on to the house and make it our own. Does anyone elswe recommend the Montbello area? Just found a house there that looks interesting.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,980,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishem View Post
We are trying to find a house that cost in the 100 to 120 area... we seem to be finding some in taht price range in Denver. Our goal is to get something that we could have enough money every month to add on to the house and make it our own. Does anyone elswe recommend the Montbello area? Just found a house there that looks interesting.
No one in their right mind will recommend Montbello to you. In your price range you'd be better off looking in Aurora, which has many cheap neighborhoods that are actually on the up-and-up. Remember that the median metro home value is somewhere in the range of 250k, so you're definitely limited in options in your price range.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,484,443 times
1-120 is just about impossible in Denver proper unless you can overlook a number of things.

That price range in 80010 (Northern Aurora just out side of Denver proper) did buy you something with fewer problems until recently but the market seems to have moved that range to 130-150 in the past couple of months.

The rocky mountain aresenal is a national superfund site for toxic (in this case radioactive) cleanup.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
The rocky mountain aresenal is a national superfund site for toxic (in this case radioactive) cleanup.
Well, actually it was chemical weapons, so think Sarin gas and VX rather than nukes -- not very comforting I realize. Really, that's the least of your problems if you live there.

Montbello may not be all that bad compared to the ghettos of other cities -- and it may not even be the worst area in the metro area, but it's getting worse not better so the OP is well-advised to stay away.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks ... looking elsewhere. I originally wanted to move to CS, but job concerns for my wife have thrown my three years of research of the Springs out the window. I think she's just getting scared at making such a huge move from Louisiana to Colorado. We were also looking at some of the out of city areas such as Golden. Any thoughts about the outer ring areas?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishem View Post
Thanks ... looking elsewhere. I originally wanted to move to CS, but job concerns for my wife have thrown my three years of research of the Springs out the window. I think she's just getting scared at making such a huge move from Louisiana to Colorado. We were also looking at some of the out of city areas such as Golden. Any thoughts about the outer ring areas?
Golden is WAY out of your price range. In fact, I'd say Jefferson County generally is out of the question, with the possible exception of a SERIOUS fixer-upper in some of the older sections of Lakewood or Arvada.

Frankly, I think your options are very limited if you insist on a single family home in your price range. Your best bet, as I said before, will be in Aurora, which has a lot of affordable housing. Some of the Aurora posters can probably steer you to exactly where in Aurora you can go. You'll find a lot of posts talking bad about Aurora on city-data but it's a big city (300k+) and has both good and bad parts.

Also, I'd recommend looking into a townhouse as an alternative to a single family home. Your options will be open much wider.

All this said, in this time of economic uncertainty there's a lot of deals to be had out there. Even in relatively desirable areas you'll find foreclosures, HUDs, you name it for very reasonable prices, provided you're patient and can do the work yourself.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:24 AM

With all the forclosers I've been finding plenty of houases in our price range and better actually. We aren't affraid of a fixer-up. In fact with our price range I expect it. We actually can afford more than 120 but we want a house where we can still save generously while making the morgage payments. I've found three houses in Golden priced at 100 to 118 (forclosers) so finding the houses has not been as bad as I thought it might but its my knowledge of the neighborhoods that is lacking. As for as a "bad" area, I live in New Orleans, enough said.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Go to a real estate website, and search zips in this order for Aurora.

80015: I used to live here, solid, average American middle class, for the most part.

80014: More urban (for Aurora) in areas, but very solid and close to I-225.

80012: I live here now, IMO a good, fairly cheap, established neighborhood. Central part of Aurora, close to everything.

80013: Mostly typical sprawl from the late 70's-early 80's. Very good deals over here.

80017: IMO this area has been hit very hard by the housing crisis. It is extremely cheap over there now, similar to 80013, but further north and not as nice. But still ok.

80010: Has a huge upside with the new hospitals nearby. Still very early in the transition stage, similar story as Denver neighborhood Highland in future?

80011: Some of this falls in the '80010 upside' category, but is my least favorite part of town. Probably most working-class part of town.

I skipped 80016, because much of it isn't Aurora proper and is also out of your price range. 80018 is all new, fairly expensive, and in the middle of nowhere. 80019 consists of one newer subdivision by the airport.

I'm sure you could find something, somewhere in Aurora. I don't think anywhere in Colorado could measure up to New Orleans' worst neighborhoods.

BTW, as far as Montbello goes, IMO the reputation it gets is undeserved, but very commonly believed, hence the low prices for housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver