Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Denver might get some snow tonight.
Shoveling snow in a few layers of clothing is indeed a time-honored Coloradan custom.
YES, Colorado can have snow in May, and can in Denver proper. I have experienced it; I've shoveled it,I've lost trees, and lost power for hours.
Does this happen regularly? No.
Will it happen tonight?
Snow sounds probable, but not shoveling and power outages.
I agree about the cold difference.
The cold is much worse west of Colorado (but where I live, you don't worry about it in May or October.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
We got about an inch on the grass at my house. This would make the 8th May (not all consecutive) I've lived in Denver and I think this is the most snow I've ever seen in May, and the latest. Didn't seem to hurt anything, but it is quite depressing. I think "El Nino" has made this winter seem miserable because it causes more fall/spring moisture, which means snow in Denver. I've seriously had it with the snow! I know, it's been in the 70s and even 80 recently, but I'm ready to do my Summer planting outside. Looks like we should be frost/snow-free by Friday, and hopefully for good! Bring on the heat!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM

87 posts, read 346,374 times
What we seem to forget when we complain about the cold/snow/wet is there are farmers rejoicing over all this. I was watching the news the other day and those of us who are suburbanites/city dwellers were complaining about it being cold/cool and another round of snow. Then they cut to a farmer in Greeley who was so giddy I wondered if he was going to break out in song and dance. He said that yes, his crops were about 2 weeks behind b/c of the below average temps we've had. But, he was looking forward to this week's snow. The moisture is putting enough reserve water for his irrigation system which usually runs dry. And he's looking forward to a record breaking year crop wise - the best he's had since the mid-90's. Call me crazy, but I'm happy to suffer a few more cold days (and this is the first winter I've had pretty much my whole life since I'm from part of the southern states that NEVER sees snow) if it means the farmers don't have such a hard time of it, and in turn maybe the grocery bills will go down a bit.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Even with occasional snow/cold in May. I'll still take this weather over most other parts of the country. We get four distinct seasons and not too extreme (at least for prolonged periods) in either heat or cold. We didn't get the horrible snow/rain/ice/tornados/mudslides/earthquakes that other parts of the country has had to deal with this year. I'll take a couple inches of snow in May from time to time.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Even with occasional snow/cold in May. I'll still take this weather over most other parts of the country. We get four distinct seasons and not too extreme (at least for prolonged periods) in either heat or cold. We didn't get the horrible snow/rain/ice/tornados/mudslides/earthquakes that other parts of the country has had to deal with this year. I'll take a couple inches of snow in May from time to time.
True. And I always say that the crazy Spring weather in Denver is worth the Summers we get. Day after day of low humidity, perfect evenings for sitting on the front porch, lots of sun, interesting thunderstorms in the afternoon.

It looks like after today, we should be "frost free" from here on out. I'm planning on doing my summer planting this weekend, and moving plants out to the front porch.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I so agree. After spending much of my life in places that have either high humidity (winter and summer) or weather that more or less didn't change (boring), this weather is great for me. Love that summer nights cool off and I can often sleep with the window open...This most likely will be the end of this. I'll get my pots planted not this weekend but next!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I wish it would snow every day.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
To me I got used to the cold quickly. Moving from the south this is a different kind of cold, a dry cold as opposed to a damp cold. And with the sun shining and 20 degrees it isn't all that bad. Now when it's 15 below zero at night, wow that's cold!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,680 times
Does the cold suck? It sure does in May!! Let's hope we move on to brighter, sunnier, warmer days!

Old 05-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280milehiguy View Post
Does the cold suck? It sure does in May!! Let's hope we move on to brighter, sunnier, warmer days!
It's pretty nice out right now. I think this past year has been unusually cool due to El Nino. I just googled the El Nino forecast and NOAA says El Nino conditions are weakening right now, and they predict "La Nina" conditions for the second half of 2010 and into winter. For Denver, La Nina (cooling of equatorial waters in the Pacific) normally bring warmer and drier than normal winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver