Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy cat View Post
how to drive normally even when it sometimes looks 'bad.' We know these things instinctively and it screws us up when the newbies drive normally when they shouldn't and when they creep along in a light flurry. This drives us NUTS.
I'm content to have insecure drivers creep along if that's the speed at which they feel safe. It's a lot better than having them over-estimate their abilities, lose control, and cause an accident. Besides, cars handle differently in inclement weather. I drive a lot more confidently in our Subaru with snow tires than our front-wheel-drive Honda. I think whatever gets you there safely is a-okay, as long as you stay in the right-hand lane wherever available, but I seem to be in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
good point! I would rather have slower, cautious drivers around me than the speed demons that think 4WD can help them on an icy highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm content to have insecure drivers creep along if that's the speed at which they feel safe. It's a lot better than having them over-estimate their abilities, lost control, and cause an accident. Besides, cars handle differently in inclement weather. I drive a lot more confidently in our Subaru with snow tires than our front-wheel-drive Honda. I think whatever gets you there safely is a-okay, as long as you stay in the right-hand lane wherever available, but I seem to be in the minority.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I think the ugly under-belly of the independent, "I can take care of myself" Coloradoan is a lack of concern for the welfare of others. And, it's very obvious on the highways around Denver.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I'm content to have insecure drivers creep along if that's the speed at which they feel safe. It's a lot better than having them over-estimate their abilities, lose control, and cause an accident. Besides, cars handle differently in inclement weather. I drive a lot more confidently in our Subaru with snow tires than our front-wheel-drive Honda. I think whatever gets you there safely is a-okay, as long as you stay in the right-hand lane wherever available, but I seem to be in the minority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
good point! I would rather have slower, cautious drivers around me than the speed demons that think 4WD can help them on an icy highway!
Absolutely! With the exception of a very few cases, I don't see much "driving too slowly". My concerns are more of people trying to pull out of a side street, etc, between two cars (one of which is mine) w/o considering the extra space needed to maneuver in case of a slide, things like that. Plus, the driving too fast, which is always all too evident in the cars off the roads in ditches, etc, after a snowstorm.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:38 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,089,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
how about cracked windshields?
people seem to drive around with them for months before having them replaced.
I think that is more of a red neck thing then a Denverite thing.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM

or people who can't afford to get them fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post

Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,089,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
or people who can't afford to get them fixed.
It was much worse when we use to sand all of our roads. Now that more magnesium chloride is use, there are less broken windshields. This is true SportsFanGal as a $400.00 windshield could cause your insurance to go up. However, insurance companies love to cover small crack and chip repairs to prevent a entire windshield from being replaced. And, they won't raise your rates. Best to get it taken care of right away as those little crack spread quickly, especially when it is warm inside and cold outside of the car.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM

I agree, the little chips can spread into a large crack fast! my windshield is not broken, thankfully, but I can imagine how annoying it must be to see that in your vision while driving!
I think some may just get a little laxe in taking care of their vehicles before big problems arise.

my sister found a windshield at a junk yard and had a mechanic friend install it at a shop. Don't know how much it was but I don't think anywhere near 400.00.

Quote:
It was much worse when we use to sand all of our roads. Now that more magnesium chloride is use, there are less broken windshields. This is true SportsFanGal as a $400.00 windshield could cause your insurance to go up. However, insurance companies love to cover small crack and chip repairs to prevent a entire windshield from being replaced. And, they won't raise your rates. Best to get it taken care of right away as those little crack spread quickly, especially when it is warm inside and cold outside of the car.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 AM

38 posts, read 153,175 times
Quote:

so is "warsh"

Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 AM

38 posts, read 153,175 times
Quote:

Exactly.I am perfectly content to look like a "newbie" in bad weather and perfectly content to go exactly the speed limit,on any road,at any time ,regardless of who(or what) is behind me.Anyone who takes an issue with this is welcome to follow me home so we can "discuss" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver