Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Yes, they are usually white women in SUVs, who are completely oblivious to how close they actually are to the car in front of them.
Well, we have an early leader for ignorant post of the day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 01:48 AM

194 posts, read 273,061 times
I don't understand why people can't figure how to turn into the correct lane. If you are turning from the far right lane you turn into the right far lane. Not the lane that is 2 or three over to the left from the far right lane. Because of these idiots traffic will back up because they think they need to wait for all 3 lanes to be clear before they make their turn.

My favorite thing to do when turning from the opposite direction is to just go like I don't see them or care. If I am turning left I am turning correctly into the farthest left lane since that is the intent of the multiple lanes. Seeing them crap their pants while they are trying to turn into the same lane incorrectly is priceless.

And what is up with the idiots that can't accelerate and merge from turning lanes? On Kipling in in Littleton to Lakewood there are many lanes to turn on onto Kipling that are sometimes 3 blocks long. Very cool! So the correct thing to do is get into that lane, get up to the speed limit, and merge over. But no.. .they have to skip that lane and turn into the traffic lane going 5 mph.

Don't get me started on solid white lines.... all of those lanes have solid white lines long before dotted.... doesn't that mean you can't merge anyway!!! I believe the law reads it is "discouraged" so who knows what that means.

And what about the jerks who pass on the right of a single lane road when you are waiting to turn left. I'm sorry you are so impatient but there aren't two lane. I can't stand it when they hit the shoulder and fly rocks into my car. I've become a jerk myself and make sure I move as far right as I can when I turn left to **** off the impatient jerks. Sorry I don't want you in my lane in case I need it. I'm still in it until I turn. Who is to say that something won't happen where I will need to pull my car to the right if I not be able to make the turn?

If I am incorrect on passing on the right please tell me. What is with the people who think they can turn right while you are turning left. Am I wrong, it has one lane. Not a lane for turning left and right or passing? My deal with the people turning right is that then I often can't see who is coming in the other lane so I can't make my left turn. The big ass SUVs will often block the view when they are cutting me off and turning right from my lane. Help! Englewood is the worse for this!

And don't even get me started on motorcycles. I guess you don't need a lane to do whatever you want. I was on C-470 (two lanes) and he decided to just drive in between two cars, right down the middle. This actually happens a lot. Someday someone is going to swerve over and knock them on their behind!

Last edited by tcbelvis; 04-21-2013 at 01:59 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM

31 posts, read 51,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
So the correct thing to do is get into that lane, get up to the speed limit, and merge over. But no.. .they have to skip that lane and turn into the traffic lane going 5 mph.
I see this complaint all the time on this forum and don't understand it. You are asking people to accelerate in a lane that may have an abrupt ending.

Would you accelerate towards a brick wall in order to pass someone?

Secondly, you never know how long an merge lane is once you are in one. Accelerating in a lane which will end and you don't know when will end is smart to you?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM

91 posts, read 178,006 times
So your the culprit

Of course the lane is going to end, that's why you have to merge - and trying to do so at 5 mph is not only infuriating, it's dangerous. However, even if we cure you of this habit, there's still about 1/2 million others who don't have a clue.

On another note, now that Denver is the pot capital of the world, what on earth is THAT going to look like on the roads, or maybe this has been the problem all along? Duuuuuuude !!!!!!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Denver drivers aren't great but it's all relative. Coming from So Cal this might as well by Mayberry. The thing that irks me is the idiot driving fast and tailgating in the snow and those with 4 weel driver fever thinking that applies to braking as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 AM

182 posts, read 328,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Denver drivers aren't great but it's all relative. Coming from So Cal this might as well by Mayberry. The thing that irks me is the idiot driving fast and tailgating in the snow and those with 4 weel driver fever thinking that applies to braking as well.
Funny that you say that since I made the move to So Cal from Denver! People that live in California are definitely on a mission, you have to be with the highways here. What I'm amazed about is a serious lack of honking (not talking LA but San Diego) and lack of road rage here compared to Denver. I've witnessed some seriously stupid things in CA and a couple near misses that could have been very bad accidents and people almost never honk! If these things happened in Colorado you'd be lucky to not have someone follow you home, honking the entire way and flipping you the bird! Must be the constant sunshine or something that softens people up here....There is a definite issue with merging in CA, people do not speed up fast enough when merging onto the highway.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
And don't even get me started on motorcycles. I guess you don't need a lane to do whatever you want. I was on C-470 (two lanes) and he decided to just drive in between two cars, right down the middle. This actually happens a lot. Someday someone is going to swerve over and knock them on their behind!
Legal in California, IIRC. Not to fuel the fire, but...

Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
Funny that you say that since I made the move to So Cal from Denver! People that live in California are definitely on a mission, you have to be with the highways here. What I'm amazed about is a serious lack of honking (not talking LA but San Diego) and lack of road rage here compared to Denver. I've witnessed some seriously stupid things in CA and a couple near misses that could have been very bad accidents and people almost never honk! If these things happened in Colorado you'd be lucky to not have someone follow you home, honking the entire way and flipping you the bird! Must be the constant sunshine or something that softens people up here....There is a definite issue with merging in CA, people do not speed up fast enough when merging onto the highway.
Nailed it, I think. In California, people act as if other cars on the road aren't driven by people...it's like a video game. Your job is just to avoid them and try to get to your destination as best you can. Pretty much never saw road rage there. Just quiet resignation.

But maybe that's just because everyone is used to it. It was total culture shock for me at first, but one adapts. You become aggressive without becoming angry, and defensive without even noticing.

That said, Denver's road rage still has nothing on Phoenix. I haven't had people wave guns at me yet in Denver...nor try to run me off the road...at least not intentionally

Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 AM

529 posts, read 1,546,929 times
Jeez people, bad drivers are EVERYWHERE. Denver drivers are different than say LA or Dallas, but all have bad drivers. Also in regards to using an acceleration lane and then merging into traffic, the mistake people make is getting into the acceleration lane without yielding first and unaware that there won't be a gap by the time the lane ends for them to fit into. Obviously most cars can't reach 60mph in 25 to 40 feet so its all about having the room to properly merge. So far I have never lived in a city where people have mastered merging.

I hated the drivers in Washington DC, Sacramento, and Dallas when I lived in these places and was routinely scared for my life. Denver drivers have bad road rage but I've never felt like I would be rammed or run over in Denver.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 AM

529 posts, read 1,546,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Legal in California, IIRC. Not to fuel the fire, but...
I remember sitting in stand still traffic in Anaheim for 6 hours wishing I owned a motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver