Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Actually, there are plenty of cars (non-SUVs) that drive poorly, too. Someone in a little car tailgated me today on Alameda all the way from Broadway until University, as if tailgating me was going to make the traffic in front of me go faster. The road was icy/slick and I feel that the speed of the traffic in front of me was appropriate.

I drive an SUV, too (Jeep Wrangler), but I get annoyed sometimes with all of the comments about how awful the SUV drivers are, because really, there are plenty of terrible "regular car" drivers, too. Especially when it snows. Not everyone in an SUV drives recklessly.
Exactly, I drive a Patriot and would never even think of going as fast as some of those little cars do... They're insane. The sad part is it could not even matter how careful WE are because eventually one of them will hit us.

[End part of post that is relevant to what was quoted]

To continue with the snow topic, here we have the prime example why people should slow down, and yet they don't. Gosh, why are people so dumb? Slick roads, no seat belts contribute to deadly crashes along I-70 | 9news.com

That 17 year old was probably driving too fast anyway, but she does have a point about the people that were in front of her... If there's no need to hit the brake, then don't do so! Other people will hit their brakes harder than the first person and lose control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
That 17 year old was probably driving too fast anyway, but she does have a point about the people that were in front of her... If there's no need to hit the brake, then don't do so! Other people will hit their brakes harder than the first person and lose control.
I haven't watched the video (being at work and all), but that is one of my pet peaves - wet/slick roads or not.

People don't seem to understand that if you LOOK ahead and act preemptively you can let off the gas and gradually slow down without hitting your brakes. If you do that and the people behind you do that (etc, etc...) traffic will flow smoothly, but all it takes is one person to slam on their brakes and then the domino affect kicks in and you get a traffic wave (at best) or an out of control car.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 AM

129 posts, read 211,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
Drive the 405 in LA between the 105 and the 10 during rush hour. Heck not even rush hour - try 1PM. Then come back and say that Denver is even remotely in the same league.

Coming from LA, I find Denver "traffic" positively pleasant.
I can understand that, having also lived there! I think one of the major contributors to lousy driving experiences here is the hodge-podge effect. I have been here a year, and while I have driven in many other cities across America, it seems like there was never any urban planning at work here. It is quite confusing figuring out how to get from point A to point B, or even from a close-in suburb to downtown. Every road twists & turns, so N,S,E, & W become fairly irrelevant, especially when major streets are E or W of I-25 at one point, the opposite, further up or down the highway, etc. That, combined with tiny, unlit street signs, turn-only lanes that suddenly pop-up at the last minute, & near-invisible lane markings, make driving here quite stressful & frustrating.

At least in LA you know where you're going, it just might take hours to get there!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I haven't watched the video (being at work and all), but that is one of my pet peaves - wet/slick roads or not.

People don't seem to understand that if you LOOK ahead and act preemptively you can let off the gas and gradually slow down without hitting your brakes. If you do that and the people behind you do that (etc, etc...) traffic will flow smoothly, but all it takes is one person to slam on their brakes and then the domino affect kicks in and you get a traffic wave (at best) or an out of control car.
That and LEAVE SOME SPACE. It's okay to leave a reasonable number of car lengths in front of you...in fact, in heavy traffic it may result in everyone going more slowly, but at least you KEEP MOVING instead of stop & go.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:00 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Actually, there are plenty of cars (non-SUVs) that drive poorly, too. Someone in a little car tailgated me today on Alameda all the way from Broadway until University, as if tailgating me was going to make the traffic in front of me go faster. The road was icy/slick and I feel that the speed of the traffic in front of me was appropriate.

I drive an SUV, too (Jeep Wrangler), but I get annoyed sometimes with all of the comments about how awful the SUV drivers are, because really, there are plenty of terrible "regular car" drivers, too. Especially when it snows. Not everyone in an SUV drives recklessly.
Audi drivers.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
Drive the 405 in LA between the 105 and the 10 during rush hour. Heck not even rush hour - try 1PM. Then come back and say that Denver is even remotely in the same league.

Coming from LA, I find Denver "traffic" positively pleasant.
It is not the traffic itself, it is the drivers. I have driven the 405 and experienced it. Yes it does suck but I believe the drivers are better and more courteous than they are out here. Just my humble opinion.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post

Plus it will save your brakes. My wife was a brake hound. I taught her to stay well back from the car in front of her and let go of the gas until it is absolutely necessary to apply the brakes. Her brake problems are no longer.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Audi drivers.
Exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned small cars. When I'm on I-70 to go skiing and it's snowing, and a car flies past me doing some ridiculously fast speed on the ice, it's ALWAYS an Audi.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
My wife... I taught her to ...
You taught your wife something? Wow. You are my new idol. When I try to teach my wife something... especially with regards to driving... is where the argument begins.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You taught your wife something? Wow. You are my new idol. When I try to teach my wife something... especially with regards to driving... is where the argument begins.
This sounds familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver