Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 AM

456 posts, read 1,576,402 times

Advertisements

An old co-worker in Chicago referred me to this site, and it helped me prepare for my move to Denver. I stuck around because it's still a very useful site that I use both for information for Denver and also posting back on the Chicago forum. I also like the other categories too like relationships, pets, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 11:47 AM

50 posts, read 156,382 times
A google search on a question about moving to Denver directed me to city-data about a year ago. I've badly wanted to move to the Denver area for over a year now, but the struggling economy has put that dream on hold. To move there, I'd have to leave a good job with little hope of finding something similar in a tough labor market, coupled with the fact that I would have to sell my house in a bad real estate market. I'm trying to be smart and realistic about the timing and logistics of such a big decision. Right now I think it would be foolish to attempt a move, period.

I haven't let go of my dream to move out there. It'll happen someday!

Since discovering this site I've been lurking for most of this year, gathering a lot of insights about the area that I wouldn't have otherwise. I really haven't posted more than a handful of questions myself since most of my questions have already been answered by others! I do have to say that sometimes there are posts from some questionable "personalities", so I think you have to take some comments with a grain of salt. But in lurking on this site in the shadows over time, you start to get a general feel for the area on various topics. Obviously there is nothing better than visiting the area to see for yourself. I have been out there five times in the past year, but there is only so much you can learn while you're vacationing,right?

Anyway, I really appreciate the Denver locals taking the time to write to those of us "prospective" residents on this site (especially the regulars...and you all know who you are! .

One more thought...there are *a lot* of people who post their interest in moving to Denver. It would be nice to hear back from some of them after they actually made their moves. Whenever that day comes, I intend to!

Peace!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,243 times
Great point about the beauty and true source of addiction: The other forums. I lurk on Miami, have posted on Relationships forum, Work forum, Music (am there right now!) and every once in awhile check out the main Colo. one to see various posts on my hometown, Durango.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
An old co-worker in Chicago referred me to this site, and it helped me prepare for my move to Denver. I stuck around because it's still a very useful site that I use both for information for Denver and also posting back on the Chicago forum. I also like the other categories too like relationships, pets, etc.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
So tell us, What Got You Started and Why Continue to Do It?
Found out what lies were being posted. See how some of the cities I lived at are over-rated chat / reviews. So I enjoy some giggles.
Last, but not least.. I am on here to read where I came from and want to kick myself in the butt for not getting back yet or quick enough.

So I enjoy reading & posting on here, it keeps my hopes alive and soon to be back home

Now let me cry to bed....

Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,952,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Who knows maybe some of you ... well your screennames ... will be in my upcoming book.

Good one! Me thinks you won't be the only one who authors a book w/ CD as inspiration.

The CD forums were the first forums I ever read or posted in. I too found CD when I googled relocation info. I kept clicking on all the demographic stats & such without even bothering to check the forum. Then I clicked the little blue "sticker" at the top of the screen...and a whole new world popped up. My first post was in response to someone who was p.o.'d that a bunch of outsiders were infiltrating his state, trying to change things, etc. I don't even need to post the city or state; so far every state forum I've visited has at least one thread like that.

So I politely responded by "apologizing in advance" for my possibly crashing his native-to this-state-only party....& reminded him that until Uncle Sam stops getting my membership fee every April, I "belong" to any state in the union!

Now I use CD for everything. I've posted questions about home repair & frozen pipes; answered ones on the pet forum; love checking out the music & books forums for good suggetions now & then. I've hung out in politics & controversies but only posted there once or twice - too hot for me over there
I have gained invaluable insight & facts on the business & finance forums; and always try to respond to another poster's questions about a town or state if I have pertaining knowledge.

But far & away, the one forum that has me hooked is the one I thought I'd never even bother with: the Relationships forum! I don't know what happens, but I think a part of us wants to be like Dear Abby, Dr. Phil & Judge Judy all rolled into one!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:11 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
Just to find info about areas that wasn't puffery from the ad departments, and not stuff from newspapers...things from people who actually lived there when I was moving from Denver to Portland. Then continued when I started posting and talking to the natives, and the people back home

Old 12-25-2008, 11:22 AM

497 posts, read 1,693,414 times
I found this site on google. At first I was planning to work for Disney and get my MBA from UCLA because I previously wanted to live in California. So I googled "What It's Like to Live in Los Angles" and I came across this site. I posted a thread about MBA programs and things like that and people were soo helpful. The rest is history. I decided that California wasn't the place for me and I came back and saw all these threads about living in other places and I just fell in love with this site and Denver! Now Denver is one of my top choices to move to after I graduate in May 2010. I love this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver