Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:21 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I didn't see this, but it is the MOST IMPORTANT information for driving in the winter (I grew up in Wyoming).

RWD, FWD, 4WD, AWD are only good for go.

None of them have anything at all to do with Stopping. It's much more important to be able to stop than to be able to go (in most situations).

So what are you saying? Don't drive at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Nope, just that it's more important to be a Smart driver than someone with AWD/4WD.

There have been a large number of times I've passed SUVs and the like in the ditch while riding a motorcycle. This was back when I didn't have a car, and if I wanted to have a roof over my head and food in my belly, I had to ride the motorcycle. They don't make "snow" tires for street motorcycles and at that time the safety of using studs was unknown and I wasn't willing to risk it. So, being a SMART rider/driver, I was able to safely (never once did I drop the bike or fall) traverse roads where people in $50k+ vehicles could not.

I still drive a pickup in 2wd mode with all terrain tires in this stuff. I have 4wd, but it's VERY rare that I use it, much less need it. Normally only when I'm trying to haul someone else out of a ditch.

I'm not sure how exactly to teach smart winter driving, I had to learn on my own. Most people who grew up in the mountain states and learned to drive there have the same knowledge... so maybe it's just something you learn through making mistakes.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:17 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I didn't see this, but it is the MOST IMPORTANT information for driving in the winter (I grew up in Wyoming).

RWD, FWD, 4WD, AWD are only good for go.

None of them have anything at all to do with Stopping. It's much more important to be able to stop than to be able to go (in most situations).
Amen!, brother. Also, how to handle a vehicle in a skid--because, sooner or later, they all will do it. And, yes, whether it is RWD, AWD, or 4WD will make a difference in how to drive it in a skid.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 64,529 times
Don't worry Brian_M, I understood what you meant. Although your first post was a little confusing at first. I agree that being a smart driver is the most important thing and that leaving yourself adequate stopping distance (no matter if it's RWD FWD AWD or 4WD) is part of being a smart driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver