Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM

14 posts, read 51,035 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am planning on moving at the end of June and hopefully renting around the Washington Park area. I originally planned to rent for 6 months to get my bearings and then buy a house but that would leave me trying to buy a house around the December / January timeframe. I know the real estate market is slow in Charlotte ( where I currently live) during this timeframe but opens up around March / April. When is does the real estate market traditionally open up in Denver so I have the best variety of options? I may decide to get a year lease versus 6 months if I should wait until later in the year.

Thanks so much for your help!
Allison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 09:30 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Wash Park is a fabulous place to live your life. It is expensive and will be more so next year.

Buyers come out of the woodwork mid February to Mid March in mass. Our big selling season is March to July followed by mid September to Mid November.

BUT houses sell each and every month of the year. You have to be ready and keep your eyes open for the best value and often opportunity knocks when you aren't planning for it.

I have never, ever met anyone who lived in the Wash Park area who wasn't in love with their surroundings.

GL

Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 AM

Wow. Thanks for the Washington Park confirmation! I am heading out there next weekend to check everything out so closer to the time I'll be better educated to check Craig's List for house rentals in that area.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I will probably be excited by next February / March to get into a house and stop paying rent so I'll need to keep that in mind when signing a lease.

Also just curious, can you still get a bunglalow ( 3 bedroom, 2 bath) for around the $550k range in Washington Park? Nothing too big, just looking for the character of a bungalow and a small yard for a dog.

Thanks again! I am terribly excited about this adventure!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:42 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
prices start in the $350's Newer from $485. (Newer would be more energy efficient)

Most garages are detached, alley access and the yards are very small.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,003 times
good luck with the move Carolina(you and i corresponded about NC and Denver a few weeks ago)

There are some cute bungalows for sale currently, given your price range I woudl recommend East side of park vs west (east is more expensive but in my view is nicer and closer to Gaylord street. West is not BAD but there are more rentals/duplexes on that side. I've lived on both and east is better and less transient. However, for a rental I'd look west b/c it is cheaper. FYI- west streets are Corona, Ogden, Clarkson, Emerson) East streets are (franklin, gilpin, gaylord, vine, race, high, williams).
Have fun! you'll love it.

also 2Bdenver- thanks for your glowing recommendation of Wash Park. Lately the grass has started looking greener to me in the suburbs and it was nice to hear your comments about wash park. Reconfirmed to me how lucky I am to live in the neighborhood!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the East vs. West and street info. It will help me navigate during my travels in two weeks!

Thanks to all for the helpful advice!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,168 times
Cant go wrong with Wash Park.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricButler View Post
Cant go wrong with Wash Park.
I disagree. See my post on another thread about my nephew's duplex. The place was a dump! They found syringes in the back yard. They were broken into.

For the price of "a cute bungalow" you can get a newer 2500 sq foot home in Louisville with an attached garage, a reasonably large yard (bigger than in Wash Pk anyway), probably more energy efficient, etc.

Of couse, one is in the city and one in the burbs. People tend to prefer one or the other and make choices accordingly.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 AM

What is the safety factor for Washington Park? I am a single female w/ a dog but want to make sure I am in a safe neighborhood. I currently live in the city and used to a more urban lifestyle but definitely want to feel safe. I am definitely not ready to make a move to total suburbia though.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:51 AM

739 posts, read 2,949,003 times
First of all- you can't compare Louisville with Wash Park. It is like comparing Monroe or Rock Hill (Carolinehokey knows what I am talking about) with Dilworth. If you want to be in a desirable location you will pay more.

I have no idea where they found syringes in the backyard, or when this was but I have never heard of this happening in my neighborhood.

Wash park is very safe, it is a huge family neighborhood- there are 30 kids on our block alone and it is a mecca for 20 and 30 something singles moving into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: