Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 AM

14 posts, read 58,539 times

Advertisements

I lived in Denver for 2 years and i have really noticed that every personal ad reads "Must be White", and i know that every person have their preference. But it seems like every gay or bi guy only wants to date or be with white guys. I actually had a guy answer my personal ad and said " Im not into N***ers they make me sick", never in my life have i never experienced that in my life. I'm seriously thinking about leaving Denver for good, just want to make sure im not in the minority about feeling this way.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM

61 posts, read 234,248 times
I'm not gay, black or a man so I can't help you a lot there. But I can say I love gay men! I saw a couple of gay men looking at the condo across the courtyard from us & my husband & I were hoping they would buy. Why? Well, several, possibly stereotypical reasons, but based on our experiences:

1. Tend to be classy
2. Good taste in decorating, clothes & food.
3. Tend not to have kids (this is a community of 2 bedroom, no yard condos)
4. Don't have loud, obnoxious parties
5. Polite.

Move to my neighborhood, please! I'll work on finding you a boyfriend!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
I have encountered lots of racism here, although nothing like the South or L.A. Gays are everywhere. A few seem to be migrating to the burbs, but where I think you'll really fit in is downtown, Lodo, Washington Park, Capitol Hill.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
I'm white, my partner is black, and he hasn't mentioned anything like that to me. But we've been together 13 years and don't go to bars. I would hope it isn't like that in Denver. It seems to me like there was a "black" gay bar back in my single days called "The Raven", where usually white guys were looking specifically for black guys if you saw any in the bar.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
The Raven sounds hugely familiar. Was it down at the end of 15th Street, like over the viaduct?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:42 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slysly4 View Post
I lived in Denver for 2 years and i have really noticed that every personal ad reads "Must be White", and i know that every person have their preference. But it seems like every gay or bi guy only wants to date or be with white guys. I actually had a guy answer my personal ad and said " Im not into N***ers they make me sick", never in my life have i never experienced that in my life. I'm seriously thinking about leaving Denver for good, just want to make sure im not in the minority about feeling this way.

And you put some kind of credance (sp) for the crap you have recieved?

Seriously, I am a single white straight chick, never done an ad and never will for the same reason as you should as ads only bring out the loonies or the intolerant. I am hitting 40 this year and gee, I am not a desirable 20 somthing with a hot bod and no wrinkles. Seriously rethink how you intend to meet people. I would be up against the same jerks in the hetero way. They don't want an almost 40 year old.

Look, Denver has a very strong gay and lesbian community and oddly enough so does Colorado Springs...perhaps you are advertising in the wrong places. When I worked for a tile company up in Denver, late 90s, we were a hub for gay and lesbian couples and it was near many of their homes so no problem with me...

Quit advertising your needs and get out there to meet people if you want to settle. Seriously, I met a lot of good and very grounded gay and lesbian couples while working in the tile business and I am hetero. Most of them met by chance and not by some ad in a paper, Craig's List (which didn't exist then).

Denver is very supportive, for the most part, of gay couples. You are over thinking this and if you think that Denver is somehow homophobic, you really need to get some (figurative) balls here. When I lived up there, I couldn't find a place outside of Denver that dealt well with homosexual relationships than did Denver and such.

Heck I am finding that Colorado Springs is becoming more and more tolerant. You just need to find a support system that will allow you to be you and not worry about the percieved crap that is part of any society.

I my life, in Colorado Springs now, I have a bevy of friends from pagans to Catholics to REBORN to gay/lesbian to who gives a care to anything else. Denver is that much better in acceptance and despite what people think about Colorado Springs, Denver is that much more appreciative of others.

I don't know, given a Wednesday night at an AOL drinking fest (every Wednesday when I lived there) it was all about people and not their color, religious affiliation, their quirks or anything...just people having fun.

If you carry a chip on your shoulder people will pick up on it. Go out and have fun. Screw the haters. If they can't deal with it, screw them. If I could drive to Denver I would to show a few people a fun time. I can't though, my 1993 Honda needs new CV boots. Not safe to drive much anywhere right now but would love to show a potential new resident what Colorado is all about.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I guess there is no way to tactfully say this, but you aren't going to find many places that are not predjudiced against homosexuals. If you deviate from societal norms you are an outcast. Try San Francisco.
I don't think the OP was suggesting Denver is prejudice against gay people, but rather gay white men in Denver were prejudice against gay black men. Denver is very tolerant of gay people.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 57,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slysly4 View Post
I actually had a guy answer my personal ad and said " Im not into N***ers they make me sick", never in my life have i never experienced that in my life. I'm seriously thinking about leaving Denver for good, just want to make sure im not in the minority about feeling this way.
On behalf of Denver, males, and the human race in general, I'm sorry. That guy is an ignorant ****. I could definitely understand why you'd want to move away. I'd say give it another chance but who would want to continue live in an area where they aren't happy and things like that are happening? Although at the same time there are idiots everywhere and that could've happened anywhere. I'd say do whatever makes you happy. That's what it's really all about. I lived in the Bay Area for about 5 years... I think you would definitely like that area, and not just because of SF and the fact that you are gay. It's a great area, just expensive as hell!

Sorry again to hear about your experience.

- aba

Old 04-07-2008, 04:03 PM

14 posts, read 58,539 times
Default I didn't say Denver was homophobic!!

I didn't say Denver was homophobic, what i was asking was is the gay community in Denver racist against black gays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
And you put some kind of credance (sp) for the crap you have recieved?

Seriously, I am a single white straight chick, never done an ad and never will for the same reason as you should as ads only bring out the loonies or the intolerant. I am hitting 40 this year and gee, I am not a desirable 20 somthing with a hot bod and no wrinkles. Seriously rethink how you intend to meet people. I would be up against the same jerks in the hetero way. They don't want an almost 40 year old.

Look, Denver has a very strong gay and lesbian community and oddly enough so does Colorado Springs...perhaps you are advertising in the wrong places. When I worked for a tile company up in Denver, late 90s, we were a hub for gay and lesbian couples and it was near many of their homes so no problem with me...

Quit advertising your needs and get out there to meet people if you want to settle. Seriously, I met a lot of good and very grounded gay and lesbian couples while working in the tile business and I am hetero. Most of them met by chance and not by some ad in a paper, Craig's List (which didn't exist then).

Denver is very supportive, for the most part, of gay couples. You are over thinking this and if you think that Denver is somehow homophobic, you really need to get some (figurative) balls here. When I lived up there, I couldn't find a place outside of Denver that dealt well with homosexual relationships than did Denver and such.

Heck I am finding that Colorado Springs is becoming more and more tolerant. You just need to find a support system that will allow you to be you and not worry about the percieved crap that is part of any society.

I my life, in Colorado Springs now, I have a bevy of friends from pagans to Catholics to REBORN to gay/lesbian to who gives a care to anything else. Denver is that much better in acceptance and despite what people think about Colorado Springs, Denver is that much more appreciative of others.

I don't know, given a Wednesday night at an AOL drinking fest (every Wednesday when I lived there) it was all about people and not their color, religious affiliation, their quirks or anything...just people having fun.

If you carry a chip on your shoulder people will pick up on it. Go out and have fun. Screw the haters. If they can't deal with it, screw them. If I could drive to Denver I would to show a few people a fun time. I can't though, my 1993 Honda needs new CV boots. Not safe to drive much anywhere right now but would love to show a potential new resident what Colorado is all about.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 PM

287 posts, read 503,232 times
I think it's just a matter of preference. most gay white men prefer white men. Try meeting someone of your own race, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver