Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:56 PM

39 posts, read 235,263 times

Advertisements

I would like to know from the woman of Colorado where a "safe" neighborhood would be considered. I will be living with a male friend of mine, but I would like to know where I would feel safe if he was not at home. He will have 2 dogs and I might also have my dogs. I like to take jogs and walks at night and I would like to know some areas that would fit me.
I do not have any kids but am looking for a young demographic,family oriented,child friendly neighborhood because with these types of neighborhoods around Chicago have a reputation for being considered "safe"
I was looking at a crime website for Denver and noticed that the rates fluctuate from suburb to suburb as normal. I would just like some advice on where would be a great place to be active at any time of the day and also no have to look over your shoulder at every turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,941,834 times
I think practically everywhere in the metro area is "safe"

I wouldn't be afraid to stay alone at night anywhere really.

For the record, I lived at 32nd and Shoshone in Lower Highland, and now live further North in the Sunnyside area of Denver.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Thank you for your reply, what is the price range of housing in your area?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,402 times
I'm from Chicago.

Denver overall is very safe. There really aren't "bad" parts here. Highlands is a great area. I live in City Park by Colorado and Colfax and it is quite safe. Plus there is the big park nearby to take my dog too. Congress/Cheesman park are also close by and very safe and dog friendly.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Thats very good to know. Im familiar with the Highlands area just from word of mouth, but City park,cheesman park I will have to look into. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,941,834 times
We rented a 1000 sq ft. apartment in an old firehouse in Lower Highlands for $1250/mo. and the Sunnyside house we bought and pay about the same for the mortgage.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,286 times
In general terms Highlands has less to do and is further away from most things to do.

East and southeast of downtown demand higher prices, for a reason. The Highlands has been an "up and coming" cheaper area for the past 10 years or so and a solid place to live but you do make concessions.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
We rented a 1000 sq ft. apartment in an old firehouse in Lower Highlands for $1250/mo. and the Sunnyside house we bought and pay about the same for the mortgage.
Ack! We rented a brand-new house with 4 beds/3 bths in the 'burbs for less than that. I had no idea "up and coming" Highlands was that pricey.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 PM

38 posts, read 135,861 times
I would kill to pay $1250 a month for a 1000 sq ft apartment. I live in Brooklyn and pay $2800 for a one-bedroom, give or take 850 sq ft!

We're most likely moving to Denver this summer and are quite interested in the Lower Highlands area. Reminded us of Brooklyn without the NYC attitude

Katmoney, can you tell me where the dog park is near you? We have two dogs and are open to looking at other neighborhoods, in particular ones you mentioned. We're really looking for a walkable neighborhood with easy accessibility to park(s), restaurants, bars, and possibly groceries. We want to leave NYC, but are so used to a carless life, that it needs to be not too much of a shock to our systems!

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,396,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrl015 View Post
... He will have 2 dogs and I might also have my dogs. I like to take jogs and walks at night and I would like to know some areas that would fit me...
You may want to be aware of Denver Zoning:

"...The Zoning Code regulates the number of dogs, cats, rabbits, pigeons, horses and bees that may be kept in Denver.* Denver residents may have no more than a total of 5 dogs and cats combined.* Every household is limited to a maximum of 3 dogs.* Every household is limited to a maximum of 5 cats.** Every household is limited to a maximum of 2 rabbits, 25 pigeons, and 2 horses on property of ½ acre or more..."

This rule on the number of pets is standard for all municipalities....so perhaps you need to think of less pets or another place to live...

Livecontent*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver