Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,242,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
My God you are completely rude and unpleasant!

I am NOT a troll. I've lived in SF, LA, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Seattle, San Diego, and Kansas City as well as other places. I found Denver to be dirty, dirtier than I thought. Older than I thought, too. The streets were full of potholes. It's not the only city like that, but your idiotic rude insensitive and arrogant response didn't allow that simple fact, did it?

My four banger did me very well for 18 years and it took me from Vancouver BC to Big Bend to NYC and practically every mountain pass in Colorado during Fall Colors. Only heading westward on I-70 out of Denver did I experience pressure from other drivers on an interstate that's woefully inadequate for its traffic flow. Again, who do you think you are? Am I supposed to buy an eight cylinder and waste gas and resources just to drive around Colorado and make a person like you happy? You don't like me "on your turf"? How freaking rude!

I love Colorado, always have. And I have considered Denver for many years as a place to relocate to. I think I'll reconsider now knowing I'd be anywhere within 50 miles of the likes of you. No, I take that back. I'll move there and look for you. How about that? I'll drive real slow when it snows and I'll buy a 4-cylinder just to make people angry when I climb hills. I'll plant water-wasting grass everywhere and use my equity to drive up home prices so natives won't be able to afford their homes. I'll litter on the streets, vote for all the worst referendums, and adopt illegal alien children just to put them in the public schools. Yeah, that's the ticket! Now see what you've done?!
don't forget to cheer on teams that play the Broncos, and complain when its snows. LOL

Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 19,450 times
Default complaints about denver

quit your complaining and move back to whence you came.
I like that Denver is NOT L. A.
NOT New York or Chicago
Not Miami or San Diego
You are right about the diversity issue-but not what most you think is REAL diversity. Real diversity is different ways of thinking, living, from you and accepting that everyone doesn't think like you.
Denver has too many liberals. They all think alike....that's not true diversity

Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,202,880 times
I'm a huge fan of Denver myself, but I did want to point out to those upset about the posts here that this thread is titled "What you dislike about Denver." I think it's important to have a thread like this to balance out what otherwise come across as misconceptions about a city. I, myself, know many people who have entirely the wrong idea about Denver. After my recent visit I was just telling a friend how impressed I was with the city and he replied incredulously, "Denver?" A different conversation with a different friend led to, "Did you go Skiing?" In July? In Denver?

There are plenty of threads discussing what's great about the city, but it seems completely reasonable to have a thread discussing what people dislike, or have discovered is not their cup of tea about the city.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,106,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
There is no way that thinking Denver is in the rocky mountains is a legitimate misconception. I have never meet a person who thought that a metro of 3million could possibly exists on a mountain - maybe kids in kindergarten but not an adult. Sure its possibly that someone may have such a notion but its niether common nor reasonable.

The certain troll that I have heard complaining about Denver not being in the rockies was actually from Grand Junction and now lives in Milwaukee - Go figure

Californians have just as many misconceptions as east costers. Many think Denver is in the midwest and it snows everyday in the winter.
Downtown Denver is just as "in the mountains" as downtown L.A. Most of the population in the greater L.A. area lives in flat valleys. Denver's just a valley minus the mountains on one side.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM

111 posts, read 256,805 times
I'm a Denver native, and I would say as much as I absolutely love Denver, the biggest drawback to me is the cost of living bubble caused by the extreme amounts of foreign money which makes it difficult living for the folks who've been living there for 30 years.

I love all the foreign energy and diversity it has brought having so many people from all over the country, it just sucks that it has to cause these pains. I see on here one person complaining about folks coming and going too much not putting down roots there, I think this is a lot of the cause, folks who try to set down roots 20 years ago are now finding the ratio of income to cost of living far from what it was then.

But it's an evolving city and this is it's nature until it goes bust (not happening anytime soon)...

Old 08-26-2009, 03:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,234,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
I'm a Denver native, and I would say as much as I absolutely love Denver, the biggest drawback to me is the cost of living bubble caused by the extreme amounts of foreign money which makes it difficult living for the folks who've been living there for 30 years.

I love all the foreign energy and diversity it has brought having so many people from all over the country, it just sucks that it has to cause these pains. I see on here one person complaining about folks coming and going too much not putting down roots there, I think this is a lot of the cause, folks who try to set down roots 20 years ago are now finding the ratio of income to cost of living far from what it was then.

But it's an evolving city and this is it's nature until it goes bust (not happening anytime soon)...
This doesn't make any sense to me... if you've been here for 20-30 years, wouldn't you already practically own your home by now (or have significant equity), having bought at 1970s/80s prices? What place in particular are you comparing Denver to, where the growth rate has been slower, the cost of living lower, and incomes higher?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me... if you've been here for 20-30 years, wouldn't you already practically own your home by now (or have significant equity), having bought at 1970s/80s prices? What place in particular are you comparing Denver to, where the growth rate has been slower, the cost of living lower, and incomes higher?
There's more in cost of living then just housing.

Though for places that have better cost of living vs. income ratio you don't have to look far at all. The places you'll find wont have the desirability that Denver does, but there are plenty of them. I'm living in Pittsburgh right now and would kill to move back to Denver even though I know here on my income I would have no problem buying a home, though in Denver the housing is about twice the price, and I would get paid less.

So instead I'm moving to Kansas City, which is again, for a job that will pay more than I would get in Denver, while the housing in Kansas City is about on par with Pittsburgh at half of Denver's cost.

Yes Pittsburgh and Kansas City are undesirable compared to Denver, but Kansas City's metro has 2.1 million people and is growing, Pittsburgh's metro has 3.3 million poeple I think? Don't recall. They have functioning economies which make them completely livable, and these are only two that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are plenty more examples which compared to Denver have higher pay and lower cost of living, but yes this is due to desirability. All the same, it's a drawback for Denver, unless you're one of the people making awesome money who have no problem affording a place around Denver.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:01 PM

573 posts, read 2,499,033 times
Quote:

Though for places that have better cost of living vs. income ratio you don't have to look far at all. The places you'll find wont have the desirability that Denver does, but there are plenty of them. I'm living in Pittsburgh right now and would kill to move back to Denver even though I know here on my income I would have no problem buying a home, though in Denver the housing is about twice the price, and I would get paid less.

So instead I'm moving to Kansas City, which is again, for a job that will pay more than I would get in Denver, while the housing in Kansas City is about on par with Pittsburgh at half of Denver's cost.

Yes Pittsburgh and Kansas City are undesirable compared to Denver, but Kansas City's metro has 2.1 million people and is growing, Pittsburgh's metro has 3.3 million poeple I think? Don't recall. They have functioning economies which make them completely livable, and these are only two that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are plenty more examples which compared to Denver have higher pay and lower cost of living, but yes this is due to desirability. All the same, it's a drawback for Denver, unless you're one of the people making awesome money who have no problem affording a place around Denver.
Yeah I don't get it either. Denver is insanely cheap. Go to LA, NY, Chicago, DC, or even Atlanta. I'm not talking just the cost of rent/housing, I'm talking whole cost of living here, including grocery prices, entertainment, etc. Yeah you might get paid "well" in NY, LA, or DC in terms of the amount of money on paper but they rape you in cost of living so it's essentially no money in that area.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,234,242 times
Quote:

Congratulations on getting a good job in this economy! I myself have been job hunting for months since I graduated college in May and moved back home to Denver, and haven't had any success yet, though I have at least had a number of interviews here. You talk about Kansas City-- I've applied to a number of jobs in Omaha, Kansas City, Wichita, and Oklahoma City-- jobs which I felt I was perfectly qualified for, and explicitly stated that I would be paying 100% of all travel and relocation expenses, that I have nothing tying me down, that I can drive there with a one day notice, and that I was available to start immediately. I think we'd both agree that Denver is ideally more desirable than all of those cities (and btw, if you look up the data, per capita incomes are higher in Denver than in those areas)-- unless if you're born and raised there and have the Great Plains/ Midwest in your blood.

But just because KC, OKC, Omaha, Wichita, Albuquerque, Cheyenne, etc, may be perceived as less "desirable" to many doesn't mean it's any easier to get a job there. No one in any of those cities wants to even consider me for an interview, since I'm not from there. Not sure what you do, but that's pretty amazing to get a job in a different city than the one you live in. I'm just saying-- it's not a Denver problem, it's a nation-wide problem. The middle class is being squeezed out in this country everywhere you go.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
Yeah I don't get it either. Denver is insanely cheap. Go to LA, NY, Chicago, DC, or even Atlanta. I'm not talking just the cost of rent/housing, I'm talking whole cost of living here, including grocery prices, entertainment, etc. Yeah you might get paid "well" in NY, LA, or DC in terms of the amount of money on paper but they rape you in cost of living so it's essentially no money in that area.
I'm not comparing Denver to the most expensive locations in the nation which are well known to be the most expensive, I am comparing Denver 2009 to Denver 1989, when my mother bought a home for 120k which would now sell for 290k, even though her pay has not increased alongside that.

All the people from LA, NT, Chicago, DC, and Atlanta who say "Hey wow it's so cheap in Denver, let's move there!" are the foreign money which has driven the economy up up up in Denver.

As i explained, I love all the foreigners being there, it's just unfortunate that all this growth has caused Denver's cost of living vs. income ratio to change so dramatically as it has. Is the ratio as bad as any of those places you listed? No, but there are a great many places it is worse than, including itself 20 years ago.

I wouldn't make enough money to afford housing in "LA, NY, Chicago, DC, or even Atlanta", but my point is the same rule for me and many other Denver natives applies to Denver, even if it's not as bad as those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver