Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
I'm not comparing Denver to the most expensive locations in the nation which are well known to be the most expensive, I am comparing Denver 2009 to Denver 1989, when my mother bought a home for 120k which would now sell for 290k, even though her pay has not increased alongside that.

All the people from LA, NT, Chicago, DC, and Atlanta who say "Hey wow it's so cheap in Denver, let's move there!" are the foreign money which has driven the economy up up up in Denver.

As i explained, I love all the foreigners being there, it's just unfortunate that all this growth has caused Denver's cost of living vs. income ratio to change so dramatically as it has. Is the ratio as bad as any of those places you listed? No, but there are a great many places it is worse than, including itself 20 years ago.

I wouldn't make enough money to afford housing in "LA, NY, Chicago, DC, or even Atlanta", but my point is the same rule for me and many other Denver natives applies to Denver, even if it's not as bad as those places.
Well of course Denver today is different than Denver 20 years ago. The city was infinitely smaller with obviously a lot less job opportunities. There's been a tremendous amount of growth...and yes I've seen a lot of it with my own eyes. Yes there's outside money to the price increases but standard inflation as well...a dollar now isn't a dollar in 1989. And I'm glad your mom's house has appreciated this much cause my parents' house hasn't. I'm pretty sure if they sold today they would get about what they paid for it in 1992. I dunno I get your argument but at the same time I don't. I'm a Denver native moving back to Denver because it's the one place a) I want to be and b) that I can actually make a decent living for myself as a title 1 teacher.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
I'm a Denver native, and I would say as much as I absolutely love Denver, the biggest drawback to me is the cost of living bubble caused by the extreme amounts of foreign money which makes it difficult living for the folks who've been living there for 30 years.

I love all the foreign energy and diversity it has brought having so many people from all over the country, it just sucks that it has to cause these pains. I see on here one person complaining about folks coming and going too much not putting down roots there, I think this is a lot of the cause, folks who try to set down roots 20 years ago are now finding the ratio of income to cost of living far from what it was then.

But it's an evolving city and this is it's nature until it goes bust (not happening anytime soon)...
I do not know what all this "foreign money" means. Do you mean the highly educated and aggressive creative people who start new businesses and provide jobs; spend their money at restaurants and expensive shops and increase tax revenue. Yes, new people moving here with money do increase some aspects of the cost of living but they also contribute much.

I am originally from Buffalo which has not, and does not attract enough of these creative people. Consequently there is a lost of jobs and less spending which contributes to much lower tax revenue. Buffalo is a cheaper place to live and cost less to buy a home, but the taxes on your home is much more.

Denver is a much better place than Buffalo and Pittsburgh because of these people who bring about progressive actions. Many do establish roots; many move on--so what, the effect is still pervasive. Yes, there is some bad, but mostly good. If you want a stagnant declining economy that is "cheap" than stay in Pittsburgh or go to Buffalo.

The complain about these "foreigner" and their money, as the cause of your problems is specious. I have been here for about 31 years and I am at the bottom of the ladder of income and yet I get along just fine. I buy what I can afford and do not try to keep up with those who have more. I look to myself as the cause of my problems, and I do not demonizing "foreigner", whatever that term means. Perhaps you would be happier, if you do the same. Also, remember being a "native" does not grant you special advantages or privileges; you have to earn it.

Livecontent

Old 08-26-2009, 05:16 PM

111 posts, read 258,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I do not know what all this "foreign money" means. Do you mean the highly educated and aggressive creative people who start new businesses and provide jobs; spend their money at restaurants and expensive shops and increase tax revenue. Yes, new people moving here with money do increase some aspects of the cost of living but they also contribute much.

I am originally from Buffalo which has not, and does not attract enough of these creative people. Consequently there is a lost of jobs and less spending which contributes to much lower tax revenue. Buffalo is a cheaper place to live and cost less to buy a home, but the taxes on your home is much more.

Denver is a much better place than Buffalo and Pittsburgh because of these people who bring about progressive actions. Many do establish roots; many move on--so what, the effect is still pervasive. Yes, there is some bad, but mostly good. If you want a stagnant declining economy that is "cheap" than stay in Pittsburgh or go to Buffalo.

The complain about these "foreigner" and their money, as the cause of your problems is specious. I have been here for about 31 years and I am at the bottom of the ladder of income and yet I get along just fine. I buy what I can afford and do not try to keep up with those who have more. I look to myself as the cause of my problems, and I do not demonizing "foreigner", whatever that term means. Perhaps you would be happier, if you do the same. Also, remember being a "native" does not grant you special advantages or privileges; you have to earn it.

Livecontent
Demonizing foreigners? No, that's what a ton of folks in Denver do, which I do not. I love all the good things the huge foreign influx in Denver has created.

This thread is called what do you "dislike" about Denver, if it was what do you "like" about Denver I would say all the folks from all over the country bringing and all the benefits derived from it.

But regardless there is a drawback from it. I dislike that drawback, though the benefit far outweighs the drawback and I recognize that. Damn it's like nobody read the title of this thread...

Old 08-26-2009, 05:29 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
I refuse to even converse with those dirty foreigners, especially those uppidy East Coasters who only speak Prada.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
All the people from LA, NT, Chicago, DC, and Atlanta who say "Hey wow it's so cheap in Denver, let's move there!" are the foreign money which has driven the economy up up up in Denver.

As i explained, I love all the foreigners being there
IMO "foreigners" is the wrong word to be using here, unless you only are referring to people from outside the U.S. People from LA, NYC, etc. are not foreigners, they are Americans, and have just as much right to be in Denver as you or other Denver natives do. Perhaps "out-of-towners" or "out-of-staters" would be a better term to use.

"Out-of-towners" move to Denver to pursue opportunity, and try to better the lives of themselves and their families. We moved to Denver for opportunity, one that couldn't have been achieved if we had stayed in CA. We may be moving back to Denver, again for opportunity.

It's simple supply and demand, most places grow when there are jobs and/or quality-of-life to be had.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
IMO "foreigners" is the wrong word to be using here, unless you only are referring to people from outside the U.S. People from LA, NYC, etc. are not foreigners, they are Americans, and have just as much right to be in Denver as you or other Denver natives do. Perhaps "out-of-towners" or "out-of-staters" would be a better term to use.

"Out-of-towners" move to Denver to pursue opportunity, and try to better the lives of themselves and their families. We moved to Denver for opportunity, one that couldn't have been achieved if we had stayed in CA. We may be moving back to Denver, again for opportunity.

It's simple supply and demand, most places grow when there are jobs and/or quality-of-life to be had.
That's why everyone ended up in Denver. 100 years ago it was because the opportunities the gold rush provided, etc etc. My great grandpa got off the boat in the 1880s and went west to set up a lucrative store in Trinidad/Berwind. My dad decided to move here after my parents got married in 1982 because the unemployment was low. So really, we've all been intruders to somebody, unless you're Native American and can claim the plains as your land. And you know what? I love Denver and the growth that's happened, it's part of the reason why there are more amenities & opportunities for everybody, "natives" and newbies alike.
Disclaimer: I am guilty of having a native sticker on my car but only because I was heartbroken about losing my CO plates and needed something to remind the world where I'm from. It will be removed when I come home.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
That's why everyone ended up in Denver. 100 years ago it was because the opportunities the gold rush provided, etc etc. My great grandpa got off the boat in the 1880s and went west to set up a lucrative store in Trinidad/Berwind. My dad decided to move here after my parents got married in 1982 because the unemployment was low. So really, we've all been intruders to somebody, unless you're Native American and can claim the plains as your land. And you know what? I love Denver and the growth that's happened, it's part of the reason why there are more amenities & opportunities for everybody, "natives" and newbies alike.
Disclaimer: I am guilty of having a native sticker on my car but only because I was heartbroken about losing my CO plates and needed something to remind the world where I'm from. It will be removed when I come home.
Yup, I wonder if some would rather be "natives" of an economically depressed place, because ironically, that would be the alternative to a place like Denver.

Re: the plates, when I moved from CA, I couldn't wait to get CO plates. It was like I wanted to shed the CA from me (or at least my cars) because we were starting a new life in CO -- we wanted to leave CA behind.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Re: the plates, when I moved from CA, I couldn't wait to get CO plates. It was like I wanted to shed the CA from me (or at least my cars) because we were starting a new life in CO -- we wanted to leave CA behind.
I was appalled at the idea of people thinking I'm actually from the DC area. Not that it's terrible, I just like being from Colorado lol. Not to mention, VA plates are boring and stupid.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM

12 posts, read 34,376 times
My biggest gripes since moving here in late April of this year is.... my nose immediately started running, I've never had allergies in my life, but it only took two days of being here, now I am hooked on Zyrtec D like its candy. Also, TRAFFIC! whats the deal with having all these people live here, but only have two lane roads everywhere? I moved here from a like sized city with about the same density, and we didn't have nearly the traffic issues... spending money on light rail doesn't hurt, but don't forget the roads!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
My biggest gripes since moving here in late April of this year is.... my nose immediately started running, I've never had allergies in my life, but it only took two days of being here, now I am hooked on Zyrtec D like its candy. Also, TRAFFIC! whats the deal with having all these people live here, but only have two lane roads everywhere? I moved here from a like sized city with about the same density, and we didn't have nearly the traffic issues... spending money on light rail doesn't hurt, but don't forget the roads!
Every place I've lived I've had bad allergies, Denver included. I wasn't in Denver for allergy season this year but when I was home last week I had bad allergies in August for the first time in 21 years. Odd and quite annoying. If you're allergic to grasses or cottonwoods, Denver is definitely problem. But oh well, you medicate and move on. Do you mind me asking where you're from? Denver's traffic is pretty tame, always a relief to come home to. And higher speed limits too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver