Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't think that Cruising is speaking of simply consumerism....I'm getting that he/she is looking for rap star level blingy-ness. Flash. Denver isn't too flashy.
Good point maciesmom.

CruisingUSA, have you ever gone clubbing on Lincoln on a Friday or Saturday night? What do you think of that scene? (just curious)

Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM

32 posts, read 73,974 times
I've read most of the posts on this thread, and I am surprised no one has mentioned smog problems in Denver. I thought Denver was rated as one of the worst cities for smog problems--I hope I am wrong. If the smog is that bad, has it bothered any of you health wise?
And are there media-alerts you can use so as not to go into the city on bad smog days?
Thanks

Old 10-21-2010, 12:28 PM

140 posts, read 429,578 times
Yeah I noticed the smog(brown cloud) when I lived there. It's not as bad a San Diego or LA as far as air quality but it's no San Francisco.(~90% average AQI)

Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Im actually going to New York. Haven't been to California, but Im not trying to go out that way at the moment.
Never been to California before? Dude, you need to get out more and explore the country (and the world). Please don't tell me you're too "cheap" to take a trip out there.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 PM

465 posts, read 463,743 times
Denver is a great city overall. I'd say it's better than most American cities.

It is definitely too sprawled out though and hard to get around, big 20 or 25 minute drives are the norm just for simple errands.

And that high altitude dry air was brutal on me. I had to guzzle tons of water everyday to stay hydrated. And for a big city it is pretty boring.

I was there for less than a year. Although it was a pretty good city, I never find myself missing it and I have no desire to move back. Denver was laid back, but if I want a laid back place i'll just move to a small town with all the advantages of a small town, instead of the vast suburban sprawl that is Denver.

Everything in Denver seemed right down the middle to me, nothing terrible yet nothing spectacular either. I can see why some people really like it, especially after you get used to it it seems liek it could be a very homely place.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Live south in Colorado Springs; love the air in the Springs and the trails and the people are great. What I hate about Denver is that I am not there.

I miss the transportation. (Lots to do in the Springs, just homesick, I guess). Hope to be back "home," someday soon. Someone want to trade with me?? Ahh, If only it were that simple.

Colorado Springs is close to Denver; just not close enough, for me.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM

246 posts, read 421,966 times
I love most things about Denver when I have visited.

The main complaint I have is that it is a bit too dry for my tastes. The low humidity is not the best. When I have been there when the humidity is higher, it is wonderful, pleasant and comfortable. When it is bone dry, it is very uncomfortable. However, that is me.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:27 PM

13 posts, read 18,513 times
I cannot find much to dislike about Denver. The things that I do dislike about Denver are the lack of diversity, nightlife, and isolation from the rest of the great U.S. places/cities.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:17 PM

30 posts, read 260,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Geez, what a bunch of complainers! Let's just bulldoze the 16th St. Mall and all move away!

Seriously, other cities in this country envy the 16th St. Mall. I was down there for dinner last weekend and there were so many people out and about - it was great. Lack of street life? Maybe in Highlands Ranch, but I live in the actual city, so I see plenty of street life. There were people all over downtown last Saturday evening and plenty of people out on Colfax.

I find people here to be generally pleasant - I go to Philly a couple times per year for work, so I know what rude is! And as for sprawl, it's there, but it could be a lot worse. I grew up in KC and if you compare the KC metro are to Denver, they're about the same size in area, but Denver has nearly a million more people. When it comes to sprawl, there are bigger offenders out there than Denver.

My main complaint is the freeway system. So many freeways are rough, full of pot holes, and only have two lanes in each direction, so always backed up. And then there's winter - I'm no big fan of it, but that's not going to change.

I agree with you. Im from AZ and it is too diverse, too sprawling ( in a hot car and heat for 8 months), and stuck up like you can't imagine. Denver is just the right amount of city with Colorado charm. I use to live in Durango and that was nice, but small.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 10,295 times
Default Things I dislike about Denver

Moving to Denver has been a big disapointment overall. I'd hoped for a slower pace of life, lower cost of living and some peace and quiet. When I visited Denver some 15+ years ago folks seemed pretty nice. I'd be walking down Broadway and people would stop and chat. Somewhere in the time between then and now that seems to have changed.

My biggest issues w/ Denver are:

1) BAD drivers. This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves. Just to clarify when I say bad, I don't mean CT or NY bad...they are MUCH worse! But drivers here seem to take a peverse delight in violating all traffic regs...or perhaps they just don't care! I routinely see drivers running RED lights, turning from the wrong lane, tailgating and suddenly exiting the highways (while holding a large soda cup and/or talking on the phone).
Everyone seems to be in this HUGE rush to go...where? Here's a newsflash...the world isn't going to end if you don't get there in the next 5 minutes!!!

2) Rude people. Most people here seem socially inept and disinterested in interpersonal communication. I see this on the train daily - folks getting on/off without saying "excuse me". They just push each other out of the way like cattle. I can count on one hand the number of people who I've actually struck up conversations with. Most individuals are tuned out to their Ipods or cell phones.
During the summer I go to the local state parks. Most people won't engage in a friendly conversation, BUT will make comments (some quite rude) about a person to either themselves or one of their friends. Parents will be cussing out their kids and some of the conversation can get quite profane!
Overall many people living here don't seem to have much respect or tolerance for others. I've had neighbors that harassed myself and other residents simply because they did not approve of the types of cars owned by their neighbors. Now I've got someone ripping parts off my vehicle!

3) Irratic weather. It can be 85 and sunny in the morning and by 2pm is 44 degrees and dumping rain/hail. I would probably mind this less if it were not for #'s 1 and 2 above.

4) Housing prices are up there - not to Cali or NY levels but it certainly isn't the most affordable place to buy in to! And you'd better make sure that your grass isn't 1/16 too high or Denver's code Nazis will be after you!

5) Bad roads. Some of Denver's roads are horrid!! When is public works going to actually start fixing some of these pothole filled streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver