Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Denver does pride itself on having cattle hotfooting down its downtown streets every winter for the stock show. That makes it very difficult to take Denver seriously as a cosmopolitan place. Imagine farm animals sprinting down a street in LA, NY, Dallas, or DC. It would be a truly chilling experience.

Denver can be better with some work! Hopefully it materializes one day.
I actually LIKE this because it's just something different that you don't see in many (any?) other cities of this size. I don't think Denver is the next NY or LA, but I'm OK with that. I lived in LA and decided to move here. If I want LA again, I'll move back.

Since this is about what we DON'T like about Denver, I'll add one more: Cyclists who alternate between riding on the sidewalk and the street. I almost hit a cyclist the other day because he was riding on the road, I passed him (with the 3+ feet barrier, etc. -- I don't hate cyclists, although I don't like when they don't follow traffic rules), and then just as I was getting ready to make a right turn, he rode up onto the sidewalk and rode through the crosswalk (and into my path). I'm glad I happened to check one more time before making the turn!

I actually see this a lot in the city. Maybe I have bad luck?

Also, I'm curious. The bus lanes on Broadway and Lincoln. They say 'Buses and right turns only when lights are flashing' or something like that. Sometimes my bus gets stuck behind a slow-riding cyclist during these hours. Should cyclists also NOT be in those lanes when the lights are flashing, since cars aren't supposed to be in them either? I know Broadway and Lincoln sometimes experience heavy traffic that I probably wouldn't want to ride in, but I'm curious to know the answer to this one.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Since this is about what we DON'T like about Denver, I'll add one more: Cyclists who alternate between riding on the sidewalk and the street. I almost hit a cyclist the other day because he was riding on the road, I passed him (with the 3+ feet barrier, etc. -- I don't hate cyclists, although I don't like when they don't follow traffic rules), and then just as I was getting ready to make a right turn, he rode up onto the sidewalk and rode through the crosswalk (and into my path). I'm glad I happened to check one more time before making the turn!

Also, I'm curious. The bus lanes on Broadway and Lincoln. They say 'Buses and right turns only when lights are flashing' or something like that. Sometimes my bus gets stuck behind a slow-riding cyclist during these hours. Should cyclists also NOT be in those lanes when the lights are flashing, since cars aren't supposed to be in them either? I know Broadway and Lincoln sometimes experience heavy traffic that I probably wouldn't want to ride in, but I'm curious to know the answer to this one.
These are two prime examples of why I say Denver as a whole comes off to me as having little common sense.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 AM

229 posts, read 423,635 times
Default so hilarious!

CO_Transplant is back making all her claims about how sucky Denver is and complaining about all the things that are so much worse in LA. How in the world did you live in LA most your life?

Did you not notice all the brown particulate matter in the entire city out there that obscures you from seeing the blue sky? CO_Transplant likes to talk about our boring, bland architecture but fails to talk about the sprawling mess of a city in LA that is nothing but billboards, pollution, and suburban blandness at it's best.

Yes, I realize these are all your opinions and that I'm arguing with you about mine vs. yours. However, when you are arguing opinions with someone you have to come to the table with valid points to back up your argument most of which you don't have. I do agree with you that is very brown here (the first valid thing I've heard you say about Denver), but your other points are just not true. Like TonyVaz says above, have you seen most of the Southern California landscape...ummmmmm, it's a desert!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I actually LIKE this because it's just something different that you don't see in many (any?) other cities of this size. I don't think Denver is the next NY or LA, but I'm OK with that. I lived in LA and decided to move here. If I want LA again, I'll move back.

Cyclists drive me nuts. They get away with everything. Of course Ritter put into place a law that protects them even more. They are always blowing through lights and stop signs.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:08 PM

152 posts, read 392,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Frankly, I think the cattle drive (very contrived these days), makes Denver. . . Denver. I got into a "discussion" on a different forum about this. Someone asked, "Is that anything to be proud of?". I said "Yes, eat much?" I mean really. As for DC, there's so much nonsense going on there, what difference would a cattle drive make?
You're right. The cattle drive makes Denver, well, Denver. I just get confused why so many people get offended with Denver being labeled a cowtown! This is a cowtown in a literal sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
I really think you don't know what you're talking about. Mountains obstructed by obscure particulate matter? Um, that never happens! The only times I can't see the mountians are when the humidity / water vapor levels are high - the white haze then hides the mountains. But I have NEVER seen a brown "particulate matter" haze hide the mountains. And where are you getting this illusion of manure spread over the city? That's ridiculous and not true at all.

Also, we don't get any southwest dust. Do you know why? There's these things called mountain ranges in the way. Never experienced this one either.

One of the only things you get right is the brown thing. I'm sorry, but that's just how the landscape is here, and actually, that's how the landscape is throughout much of California also. I remember visiting the LA area and it was very brown and dusty - similar to how Denver is. Our suburban homes, because apprently you haven't noticed, were painted the way they are in order to compliment the color of the natural landscape. It's fine if you don't like that, it's not for everyone of course. My points above still stand...

There is a difference between having personal preferences that differ from what a city has to offer and explaining them, and downright telling lies about a place. You're doing the latter.
I said obscured! There are many days where the mountains are behind brown haze. You just can't dispute that! Pretending that Denver has clean air is just that, pretending! Our horizon is marred on dust, agricultural waste, and car emissions. Even the beloved Rockies aren't tall enough to prevent sand from being carried over from the other side.

Southern California is not brown! I was just there two weeks ago. I was delighted to see hills covered with lush, green vegetation and trees with leaves in them! The grass was as green as could be. Imagine my dismay when returning to Denver to see endless fields of dormant prairie grass and lifeless looking trees. Absolutely horrible!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
You're right. The cattle drive makes Denver, well, Denver. I just get confused why so many people get offended with Denver being labeled a cowtown! This is a cowtown in a literal sense!

I said obscured! There are many days where the mountains are behind brown haze. You just can't dispute that! Pretending that Denver has clean air is just that, pretending! Our horizon is marred on dust, agricultural waste, and car emissions. Even the beloved Rockies aren't tall enough to prevent sand from being carried over from the other side.

Southern California is not brown! I was just there two weeks ago. I was delighted to see hills covered with lush, green vegetation and trees with leaves in them! The grass was as green as could be. Imagine my dismay when returning to Denver to see endless fields of dormant prairie grass and lifeless looking trees. Absolutely horrible!
I lived in SoCal for many years and this is the "green" time of year if you're speaking about the hills/non irrigated areas. Urban areas are watered, so always green, other than the fiew deciduous trees that lose their leaves. But the hills turn brown by May and stay that way until the Winter rains return.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 PM

229 posts, read 423,635 times
Quote:
You mean you were able to see landscape admist the jungle of billboards, brake lights and brown muck that envelopes all of Hell-A? The pollution there is way worse than it is here and that is not a matter of opinion. I worked in an office building near the 105 and I'd say on maybe 1 out of every 10 days could you actually see more than a few miles let alone the mountains. You've already demostrated your naivity, but it's clear how blind you are too. Yes, things are lifeless now as Spring has barely just begun, hence the definition of living in a place with 4 seasons and just emerging from winter, but then again that concept seems over your head. Must be from inhaling all the pollution in LA.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Quote:

I''ll just sum up all your loosly reality based assertion posts by asking you this "Do you shop at Gucci with Charlie Sheen and Brody Jenner on Rodeo too?"

Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM

90 posts, read 208,134 times
Denver is okay to visit thanks to the Rockies but other than that it's boring as hell. It is dull and brown even during the warmer months. So bringing cows to race in downtown Denver is a good idea because it is what it is - a cow town.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Default what things that you do not like about Denver?

Hi all, I have come to a point looking for a nice and affordable "city" to move to. Fortunately my area of work and expertise gives great me flexibility in finding a job in most places in the country so I can actually pick a place first and then look for a job in that area. Among several of the cities in mind, Denver is one of them and I have spent some time reading about Denver on this forum. It is encouraging that I have read only nice and positive comments from previous posts, which indicate to me that people here are happy and satisfied with life in Denver.

I have only flew in and out of Denver couple times to ski resorts in CO with accommodations near the airport. I have basically no in-person experience about Denver living even though I enjoyed the CO resorts a lot. Just out of curiosity and also to balance things out, can any of you list one or a few items in Denver that might bother you or you just wish to be improved? I like to weigh in both good and negative comments about a place for home so I may be able to make a well-informed decision before heading out.

Thank you all and I will truly appreciate some input from some of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver