Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 AM

104 posts, read 288,745 times

Advertisements

I am looking at Arvada and Westminster, both suburbs would be an acceptable commute to my work place at Havana and I-70. I saw a interview this morning on Colorado's Fox News aboutreal estate in Denver, and the so-called experts warned againstbuying in areas that have a lot of inventory, they suggested areasthat are in demand, and mentioned the usual suspects, Highlandsand Wash Park. What about my two suburbs? Lot of inventory?Do either of the cities have areas that are in demand? I like the location ofArvada on the map. It seems to be situated better in regardsto Denver access, and thus possibly be in more demand fromhome buyers. I don't mind so much buying an older home if it'sin an area that's positioned for growth and demand. I can'tbring myself to buy an older home in Aurora. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
What is wrong with an older home in Aurora? All things considered it is closer to Havana and depending on the area 80010 for instance is seeing much more demand than the other areas you mention which are much further away.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:15 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I still don't see anything wrong with Aurora or the Capitol Hill/Cheeseman Park/Congress Park neighborhoods and I DID see a few units for sale in your price range, but as I learned last time, I can't post any links to specific units because of forum and/or moderator rules.

If you have your heart set on Westminster or Arvada, maybe you should look at the RTD website and see where the new light rail lines are going to be -- in your case, the gold line. It obviously won't be finished for quite awhile, but the proximity to light rail could always help a future sale if you stay there long enough.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
I think closer is better. There are nice places in Aurora, Commerce City, Henderson, and Denver that would keep your commute under 20 minutes and be desireable in the future.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM

the large inventory of houses in many parts of aurora is what keeps me away. There are nice places in Commerce City up near 96th, but it is also heavy inforeclosures, I think. I'm going with my gut and staying away from North and Central Aurora, Commerce City, and of course GVR. The Denver neighborhoods adjacent toStapleton are too pricy for what you get. I like the geography of the West suburbs,NE of Denver. I will look into the Gold line, and see where it's headed. It only takes10 minutes to get to Havana from I-70 and Federal. It's still an acceptable commute if I live along the corridors of I-70 or Hwy 36, in Westminster or Arvada.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 PM

15 posts, read 58,023 times
Default Arvada

I live in Arvada and did the exact commute you describe. Twenty minutes on average. No problem at all really, and we are extremely happy with Arvada.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
I live in Arvada and I have written much on this forum of how I enjoy living in this part of the metro area. I agree with the idea of trying to stay as close to your workplace as possible and there are good areas in Northeast Metro that can be ideal. However, you have set your mind on the suburbs of Arvada and Westminster. My opinion is that the newer area of northeast Westminster would be a much better choice than Arvada for a commute to I-70 Havana.

Yes, I am always talking up Arvada but this newer area of Westminster has some great new shopping with many newer developments. Arvada cannot compete with Westminster for shopping options--I like it that way but I am trying to be objective for your interest.

I am also a big supporter of the new commuter rail but I do not think that the Gold Rail Corridor will give you any benefit for a commute to your workplace because it would require a trip downtown for a further connection to the East Rail Corridor. If you live northeast Westminster, you would be close to rail station on the North Corridor which will run mostly through Northglenn and Thornton; it still would not be advantage for rail, at this time to I-70 and Havana because that area would be close to the Stapelton Station on the East Corridor. At this time there, is no planned connection between these North and East corridor other than downtown.

Livecontent

Old 01-23-2009, 11:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
Quote:
It only takes10 minutes to get to Havana from I-70 and Federal
LOL. Good luck with that then.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
LOL. Good luck with that then.
Hey, it's true, it's 8 miles, and 10 minutes. I had the opportunity totime it on my way back from a delivery in Golden, it was about4:30 PM. It's an easy commute. Currently I live near I-225 andAlameda, and the evening rush is so frustrating on I-225 southbound. Thebrake lights start at Colfax and it's stop-and-go all the way to Alameda.Of course I was heading East bound when I timed myself in the afternoonon I-70 and Federal to I-70 and Havana, which is the opposite directionI would be heading for an evening commute home from work.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I live in Arvada and I have written much on this forum of how I enjoy living in this part of the metro area. I agree with the idea of trying to stay as close to your workplace as possible and there are good areas in Northeast Metro that can be ideal. However, you have set your mind on the suburbs of Arvada and Westminster. My opinion is that the newer area of northeast Westminster would be a much better choice than Arvada for a commute to I-70 Havana.

Yes, I am always talking up Arvada but this newer area of Westminster has some great new shopping with many newer developments. Arvada cannot compete with Westminster for shopping options--I like it that way but I am trying to be objective for your interest.

I am also a big supporter of the new commuter rail but I do not think that the Gold Rail Corridor will give you any benefit for a commute to your workplace because it would require a trip downtown for a further connection to the East Rail Corridor. If you live northeast Westminster, you would be close to rail station on the North Corridor which will run mostly through Northglenn and Thornton; it still would not be advantage for rail, at this time to I-70 and Havana because that area would be close to the Stapelton Station on the East Corridor. At this time there, is no planned connection between these North and East corridor other than downtown.

Livecontent
Thanks, Livecontent, would you mind providing me with a little moredetail as to the location of NE Westminster? It's not easy to determinethe exact boundaries of Denver's suburbs. The only reason I am interestedin light rail is for its potential to help real estate values, I am buyingwith appreciation or resale value in mind. I am still learning aboutDenver area real estate, and what locations sell best. I realize the planned light rail would not make any difference for my commute. Thanks for your enthusiasm for Arvada (you and Storm), I will searchfor your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver