U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,762 times

Advertisements

Hey! My husband and baby girl are looking to buy a new house in the next month. One house we were looking at is 4982 Durham Ct., Denver, CO 80239-6452. It's in a really new area, built in 1998. I was wondering if anyone who actually lives in Montbello in this specific area knows how the neighborhood is. I realize that there are problems in every area and good and worse parts too. Is this house in an ok area?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 PM

132 posts, read 546,259 times
Hi, we were just mentioning Montbello in the "Stapleton" thread higher up. It is one of the worse neighborhoods in the area for foreclosures apparently but I don't know much about it personally.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,751 times
I would have to say your home is what you make it and Montbello has had its reputation but honestly I find that this is a wonderful community and the oldie but goodies have been in this neighborhood for a long time; I feel that if we network amongst our community and branch out that we can truly make a change and difference in someone’s life. I am working on getting something started for our community in order to assist our future generations to come and hope that you and your family can partake in them.

TJ

Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,778,378 times
I would stay away from Montbello. I'm sure there are plenty of residents who live there who are very nice and take care of their homes, but it is in an area that has a very bad reputation and has one of the worst schools in a so-so school district. They also have a much higher-than-the-average crime rate, from personal crime to property crime.

Montbello 80239 Denver, CO Neighborhood Profile

I lived near that area for a year (in Green Valley Ranch...an area I would also avoid) and I was surprised to learn how much animosity and fighting goes on between black and hispanic kids. I don't really understand it but there is true hatred and division between these 2 communities. In Montbello, the majority of residents are black and hispanic (and if they're fighting outside of school, imagine how this affects them when they're IN school) so I'm sure this has a large influence on the school atmosphere and why their schools are usually rated as D or F. I feel bad for the kids who are truly there to learn and make a better life for themselves, but why would YOU want to live in an area like that if you have a choice?

Since you are starting out, don't get stuck in an area that you won't be able to get out of. You want to live somewhere that you can STAY for a while and if you want your baby to at least get into elementary school before you move again, you don't want to be in that area.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:52 PM

305 posts, read 702,525 times
Default House in Montbello?

Hello,

What is your price range? I'm sure there are nice areas in Montbello but in general the schools are not high achieving, if that's a priority for you. Where are you planning on working?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM

305 posts, read 702,525 times
Hello,

Just looked up that house and it looks like a nice property. The one thing I noticed is that there are numerous foreclosures on that street, so that may end up affecting property values. However, you'll probably get a great deal! My best advice would be to knock on some of the neighbors' doors and ask them how they are enjoying living there. Ask them their opinion of the preschools and elementary schools and then go by and check the schools out. If you like what you see and hear, and the people seem like they'd be good neighbors, then I would give the neighborhood a chance. Lots of luck with your new home, wherever you end up. : )

Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 39,407 times
I lived in montbello for 20 years. I watched a once beautiful community slowly sink downhill. Don't get me wrong-some of the cutest houses in denver can be found here, and there is a wide variety to choose from, but if you plan on raising children, I would pass on it. I went to school out there, and although I graduated and attended college, I also remember the unbrideled violence between blacks and hispanics. The neighborhood never fully recovered from the late 80's recessions, but seemed to hold its own through the 90's. The 2000's have been unkind and the high foreclosures invite vagrancy and vandlism into a once beautiful community. What you are seeing today is simply leftovers-houses that havent been touched by the influx of illegal immigrants or section 8 renters. Take it from me-I grew up here, I loved it at one time, but I spent the last 5 or 6 years watching block after block become an ugly, unoccupied and unmaintained trash heap, rocked by unnecessary violence and vandalism throughout the community. People here don't seem to care about taking care of their homes or the community. Some do, but they slowly continue to move out. One by one. Dont subject yourself to the heartache of watching your neighborhood go down the peehole like my family did. Good luck.

Forgive me, I was there back in the days when EVERY SINGLE yard was green. I may come off a tad harsh....

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-06-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,601 times
I would definately stay away from N.E. Denver, Montbello, Parkside,Greenvalley Ranch, its not safe, especially if you have kids. This was originally a well designed and normal middle class area, but white flight during the 70's left Montbello a mixed bag, there are some nice homes and some sections are nicer than others but the gang problem and crime is rampent. Many homes have bars on the windows and ghetto looking cars blaring filthy rap music at all hours. This area is predominatly black and hispanic and they fight between each other every day. The areas east of Montbello, Parkside and Greenvalley ranch look better but its still the same class of people, lots of renters and section 8 wellfare moms with 10 kids and no jobs. The schools are the worst in the district. Its very sad. If you are looking for a safe area you need to be south of Mississippi Ave if you are on the east side of Denver or Aurora, the further south you go the better off you are. Also avoid Stapleton and inner city areas around downtown, these are also bad areas and not safe, Capital Hill to the southeast of downtown is a good area as is Washington Park, University Hills, Southglenn, Denver Tech center area, extreme south Aurora, south Lakewood, Highlands Ranch, Ken Karyl Ranch, Chatfield area. But avoid North east at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver