Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 49,994 times

Advertisements

So my husband works right near Colorado Mills mall and we're renting a condo near Belmar in Lakewood. It's a fun area for now but we're looking to buy in about a year.

Of course I love those developments south of Denver as far as school districts, etc. go but the commute would just be too much every day to Golden.

What I don't care for about Lakewood (or at least our part of it - we've only been here about a month) is that it seems to be a lot of older, ranch-style homes. That's not really our style. We don't need huge and we don't need BRAND new, but the ranches just aren't doing it for us.

I love those new homes that look older, like Stapleton has perfected. But again, waaaay too long of a drive.

I'm actually really jealous of homeowners who live farther east than we do. They have gorgeous views of the mountains. Living near the foothills, we just kinda see the foothills and never beyond. But I don't think that could really be helped, haha.

Oh, and schools are VERY important to us.

So what do you think? Golden? Lookout Mtn? Green Mtn? Bear Creek area of Lakewood? Apple-something? Wheat Ridge? Um.. Evergreen?

We hate wind but are willing to sacrifice for the right area.

Please share your thoughts on the above spots or any other ideas you might have. I really, really appreciate it! We have a lot of exploring to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I would suggest very strongly that you take a drive across from the Colorado Mills Mall. Go through the Denver West Office Park, over the Highway and take the Denver West Parkway, east, and it will go into West 20th. You will going toward Youngfield. This area, in and around Youngfield is Applewood. It is not a separate municipality but is the area where Golden, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood come together. If you go north on Youngfield you will come into the main shopping area between west 32nd and 38th. Most of the neighborhood around this area is Wheat Ridge, east of Youngfield. Be sure to notice the large wooden greenbelt along Clear Creek with parks and trails which is just south of West 44th in Wheat Ridge.

Applewood is consider one of the nicest neighborhoods that is held in high regard by natives and long term residences; it is one of those secret little neighborhoods treasures that is not known to new arrivals.

The homes vary in price but some can get very expensive. You will find many well maintained older homes, as well as newer infilled developments; Just take a ride east of Youngfield on the roads, especially west 38th. Be sure to go up to streets, north of 38th and you will find many homes that border the Wheat Ridge greenbelt, on the south, that I mentioned. Do not rule out homes south on Youngfield and Simms in Lakewood--great areas. Also, west of Youngfield are many good neigborhoods of Golden. It is important to get off the highway and really drive around to get the true feeling of the area.

I think you are not very aware of the great areas along the foothills with many more parks, more waterways, lakes and reservoirs that are easily available. Also there is more varied topography than you will find than the eastern part of the metro area. You will find older well maintained traditional neighborhoods with newer developments; you will be close to downtown as well as near expansive parks and open space throughout the foothills. Many long term residents and natives would not live anywhere else.

I am pointing out this area because of the easy commuter to the Mall and the great homes, parks, shopping, public transit, highway access, medical care (Lutheran Medical on 38th)----great area to live. Also, a good walkable area near the Applewood Shopping Center--Walmart, King Soopers, Walgreens, restaurants, shops etc. Oh, let us not forget that this is Jefferson County--good schools.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-27-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 AM

thank you! my husband actually works in the denver west office park so that wouldn't be difficult to check out at all.

keep the suggestions coming, i really appreciate it!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
One of metro's newest, nicest neighborhoods is Solterra--sight of 2008 Parade of Homes---Upscale living just up highway C-470 from Golden--straight shot in.. Check out Denver Parade of Homes 2008 | Hosted by Solterra ....Located between 1-70 and 285..Great frontrange access to resorts as well..

Last edited by Scott5280; 01-27-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 PM

oh man.. maybe i shouldn't have said newEST niceST neighborhood, haha. we want new & nice but that solterra isn't anything we could afford any time soon! haha. thank you for your input though!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I love old one story ranch homes! But to each his (or her) own!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM

291 posts, read 911,275 times
I think the ranch homes will be good investments as us baby boomes continue to age. There weren't many built after the 60's, so there aren't a lot to choose from. I used to live east and yes, you're right, you can see the mountains better from there, but I don't miss the 45-60 minutes it takes just to get at the base of the foothills from out east. You didn't mention price range so I don't know if I'm close, but here are some suggestions. There are some newer homes in the Bear Creek area, off Morrison Road. I agree that Applewood would be worth checking out. There's also some infil spots in souther Jefferson County that are newer. This area isn't new, but check out Ken-Caryl Ranch. It straddles 470, so it's a quick shot to work for your husband. I've some pics in one of my albums, if you want to check it out.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:28 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

Applewood is consider one of the nicest neighborhoods that is held in high regard by natives and long term residences; it is one of those secret little neighborhoods treasures that is not known to new arrivals.
Not anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I love old one story ranch homes! But to each his (or her) own!
Me too! Too bad I don't have one.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Yes, one story ranch homes with a full basement is what I like. They are easier to heat, easier to cool. The full basement, in this dry area, gives you extra expansion and helps keep the house cooler in summer, warmer in winter.

My parents who are in their eighties have a nice all brick ranch with a basement. It is good for them because they have problems with stairs. I have even more problems because of a disability and I am very happy with my little ranch with a basement. It is something you do not think about when you are young and healthy but the time will come...

I see many older all brick ranches with basements in the older established neighborhoods of Denver. All brick homes were more common years ago. They are ideal for fixups and are a better investment than many condo developments, especially in these old neighborhoods which many times do not have Homeowners association fees. In addition, many of these older developments have larger lots which that were good for ranch homes. Now, you see smaller lots and consequently less room for ranches.

Livecontent

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
The west metro is more or less built out. One of the very few large-scale new developments is the new Solterra development -- but as you noted, it is high-end and also has outrageous property taxes. There are some other pockets of newer construction, namely in Golden and in western Arvada, but these also tend to be rather high priced in the 500k or higher category. This is what you'd expect, actually, as buildable land becomes more scarce in that area.

South of 285 there's probably a bit more available at a broader price range but that's a good distance away from where you're looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver