Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times

Advertisements

Theres no religous pressure there. Its not Salt Lake city Utah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 34,715 times
Generally, the Denver and Boulder areas are fairly live-and-let-live when it comes to religion. Both my husband and I are agnostic. Many of our friends are active in their faiths and it's never been an issue. The pressure to be a part of a church or accept a particular faith is much less than in some parts of the country.
Colorado Springs has more of a reputation as a fundamentalist Christian center, but I've never lived there so I can't say whether this reputation is deserved or not.

Last edited by kgirl; 03-20-2007 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-22-2007, 03:53 AM

188 posts, read 933,818 times
A friend from Colorado Springs who is not particularly into religion told me she saw a bumper sticker on a car that said "Focus on your OWN ____ Family" so not everyone is conservative.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 22,832 times
I agree, I have lived in CO for most of my life and even though alot of the people are religious, few will judge you for not being. Your kids may get invited to youth goups, or Scout programs run by Church organizations, but as long as you are polite and decline without giving the impression that you are judging them for their religious decisions, you should be fine.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:08 PM

353 posts, read 504,015 times
I find it strange that you were really pressured in Arizona and North Carolina. I mean, every state is going to have its way of life--a certain ethos that residents are encouraged to adopt. But, especially in Arizona, I find it remarkable that you felt pressured to go to church. It's not even that intense of a state, IMO.

If you ask me--and, well, you sort of did--I would probably put CO in the same category as AZ--religious, church-going, but not over-the-top about it as you might find in Provo, Utah or something. Though Colorado is home to some of the country's best known Christan organizations and clergy--like James Dobson and Focus on the Family.

There are plenty of folks in Colorado who don't go to church every week. On the other hand, there are lots of folks who are serious church-goers. If you're in Boulder or urban parts of Denver--more secular, young, etc.--you would probably feel out of place actually going to church. Yet, in Colorado Springs and most other parts of the state, most folks are, in fact, church-goers.

Somebody asked about Highlands Ranch and religion. Highlands Ranch, and, in truth, most of suburban Denver, is known to be more religious than not. There are many megachurches outside Denver city limits and Highlands Ranch is home to many of them. Religion plays a large role in the lives of most suburban families, IMHO, but that doesn't mean that it necessarily has to in your's. I mean, I live in the suburbs and my block is vacated every Sunday morning for a few hours--except for a few families. But nobody looks at those families any differently and treats them poorly. Religion is key in suburban life--there's not other way around it--but it isn't overwhelming. You can be a total atheist and can still be treated kindly.

But I can guarantee, unless you're living in a convent somewhere in Colorado, you won't feel akward not going to church. Expect to be invited by friends and colleagues, you might even get a knock on the door once in a while. But you won't be shunned by the average person here because you don't go. I've never heard that happening before.

You also have to realize that it depends on where you are in any state. I mean, if you're in a big city you won't be alone playing x-box or sowing on Sundays. Even in Charlotte or Raleigh, it's such a big area, there are plenty of people who do all sorts of things--including going to church or not going to church. Same in Denver and the Springs. On the other hand, if you're living in, oh, say, Burlington, Colorado--a tiny plains town of like 1,000--you probably will be expected to have a church-life. It all depends on the kind of place you live.

Finally, I will add one thing about the church-going. I've heard from a lot of newcomers that it can be difficult making friends and meeting new people in Colorado. There are lots of reasons why this is probably the case--but it can be a little reserved and it can just be tough meeting folks--especially those who share your values. The great thing about church is that it really forces folks together. You can't help but make friends. Ask just about anyone here what the best way to meet new people is and they'll tell you that a church is your answer. That's not to say that you'll be a lone wolf without going to church--but it will force you to work a little harder to meet people.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rawlings; 05-10-2007 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-10-2007, 08:02 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,211 times
But you forget....Charlotte is in the Bible Belt. Religion is still big here. I can't speak for Arizona because I've never lived there, but I've lived 99% of my life in NC. Its not an open thing really.....& not pressure per say...more like an almost insisting feeling. The questions that are asked most when you live here (in no order really): Where do you work, where do you go to church & what Univ. did you go to (& if you didn't go to UNC, NC State, Wake or Duke watch out! )?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I find it strange that you were really pressured in Arizona and North Carolina.

You also have to realize that it depends on where you are in any state. I mean, if you're in a big city you won't be alone playing x-box or sowing on Sundays. Even in Charlotte or Raleigh, it's such a big area, there are plenty of people who do all sorts of things--including going to church or not going to church. Same in Denver and the Springs. On the other hand, if you're living in, oh, say, Burlington, Colorado--a tiny plains town of like 1,000--you probably will be expected to have a church-life. It all depends on the kind of

Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 43,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
This may be a sensitive subject but I need to know. How is the religious influence there? We recently moved from NC to AZ because we felt and were treated like out casts because we didnt attend church. I have no issues with religion we just do not attend. How would we be treated because of this? We are a laid back ,fun ,caring family that loves to be social, just not in a church way.
Just don't move to CO Springs and you should be fine.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 PM

353 posts, read 504,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
The questions that are asked most when you live here (in no order really): Where do you work, where do you go to church & what Univ. did you go to (& if you didn't go to UNC, NC State, Wake or Duke watch out! )?
Can't say it's too different in Colorado. Except, of course, nobody minds if you went to school out of state.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:33 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
This may be a sensitive subject but I need to know. How is the religious influence there? We recently moved from NC to AZ because we felt and were treated like out casts because we didn't attend church. I have no issues with religion we just do not attend. How would we be treated because of this? We are a laid back, fun, caring family that loves to be social, just not in a church way.
The house across the street is for sale. You'd be welcome in our neighborhood!

Old 05-13-2007, 07:11 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
The house across the street is for sale. You'd be welcome in our neighborhood!
FC Did you buy a house?

Yes, I think all the relocators to CO should buy something within 2 months of living/working here. We sure could use the help in reducing the inventory.

I have a really cute couple moving here in late June from SoCal (a referral from a c-d poster) and she has a list of twenty houses she wants to evaluate in person when she is here in two weeks. That's just a drop in the bucket as to what is actually on the market in her price range $275-$300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver