Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 36,580 times

Advertisements

I am coming to Colorado Springs in May for a reunion. Airfaire is almost
double to Colorado Springs than what it is for Denver. We are from Idaho
and not familiar with Colorado. Would we be safe to fly to Denver and
rent a car to Colorado Springs? I understand it takes one hour. One
person told me it was worth paying the extra $150.00 to fly into Colorado
Springs and not have to drive in the maddening traffic. Another person
told me it would be easy because we could travel on the toll road and
zip right through. What do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 PM

482 posts, read 2,226,098 times
Guess it depends on the time of day that you arrive in Denver. I have flown in and out of Denver International a few times after driving there from Nebraska. I did not have any problems. When you fly into Denver International airport you only have one way in and out of the airport and this is by way of Pena Blvd. Pena takes you to I-70. Colorado Springs as you know is south of Denver. You would have to go west on I-70 for about one or two miles to I-225 which is the bypass route around Denver. I-225 only goes south which takes you to the south side of Denver where you get on I-25 going to Colorado Springs. Sorry I can't tell you if I-25 is a toll road or not, but I don't think that it is. You can search this information on line through the Colorado State Higway Department. I don't see where you will have that much problem, unless you get there when everyone is either getting off or going to work.

Enjoy the reunion and the drive is a nice one along the east range.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Depends upon times of arrival and departure, and how long you're going to stay in CSprings.

If you arrive around "rush hour" traffic, it can take well upwards of 2 hours from DIA arrival to get to the springs with getting from the concourse to the car rental agency to getting the car to actually being on the road and then being in traffic. It can get pretty slow south of Monument through the Air Force Academy area. Returning to DIA can be problematic, since you'll have to allow for the traffic, car rental return, security and tram to your terminal area ... and arrive early enough for all of the events to reach your gate at least 40 minutes before scheduled departure.

225 and I25 are not toll roads. Somebody was referring to 470, which won't gain you much for this trip ....

For me, the direct flight and avoiding DIA is worth the expense during a short trip to COS.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:49 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Depends upon times of arrival and departure, and how long you're going to stay in CSprings.

If you arrive around "rush hour" traffic, it can take well upwards of 2 hours from DIA arrival to get to the springs with getting from the concourse to the car rental agency to getting the car to actually being on the road and then being in traffic. It can get pretty slow south of Monument through the Air Force Academy area. Returning to DIA can be problematic, since you'll have to allow for the traffic, car rental return, security and tram to your terminal area ... and arrive early enough for all of the events to reach your gate at least 40 minutes before scheduled departure.

225 and I25 are not toll roads. Somebody was referring to 470, which won't gain you much for this trip ....

For me, the direct flight and avoiding DIA is worth the expense during a short trip to COS.
AMen Driving thro Denver is a nightmare especially if not aquainted. If you have a GPS it would be of great help. Myself, I would fly into CS. and pay the extra. Then rent my car in the Springs.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:18 PM

210 posts, read 1,345,271 times
Nobody really referenced the toll option, which I think could be a viable option if you are traveling during peak times....

E-470 intersects Pena Blvd (the main road in/out of the airport) and is a toll highway. That being said, it rarely to never has traffic and would put you right at the south end of the Denver area, thereby avoiding I-25/I-225 and that traffic. I'm in the south Denver area and I can be in Monument in 50 minutes from my door, as long as you're not going to be traveling in peak times (such as rush hour). E-470 is an expensive-but-viable option to avoid traffic if you choose to fly into Denver during peak times.

Otherwise, it really comes down to what is your time worth to you. Denver's airport is big and busy, so you will have to plan ahead for security, getting to your gate, etc if you decide to go that route. COS is fairly small, short distance to the gate, short wait times, etc. But, another thing to keep in mind is that, since COS is much smaller than DEN, it has fewer nonstop flights, so if you're flying from Idaho you'll likely have a layover somewhere along the line (likely Denver or Salt Lake City), whereas there are many nonstop flights from Idaho to Denver. These (in addition to the drive) are things to keep in mind with your decision. Good luck!

Last edited by TinajaCo; 03-13-2007 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: addtl info

Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Denver's flights these days are generally very cheap compared to the springs. Almost all our friends down in the Springs fly in and out of Denver. E-470 makes for an expensive commute, but I'd recommend it for going to/from the airport since it never has any traffic so you don't have to worry about missing your flight due to traffic. Check out their website: http://www.e-470.com/ -- they have a toll calculator there but it'd be around $6.00 or so one way.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:43 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
The drive is a piece of cake, have done it about 6-8 times over past 3 years.

We always use the Toll Rd (aka "470") from Pena Blvd to I-25 on the far south side of Denver. Tolls are about $5.

We live on the north end of COS, approx I-25 exit 153, and we can get to the parking lot at DIA in one hour flat.

If you were going to rent a car no matter which airport you planned to use, then I'd say go with DIA if its cheaper. When I tried to find flights out of COS, they are usually more or require extra stops. I don't think you can get a direct flight from COS to the DC area where we're from (IAD, DCA, BWI). It is almost always cheaper and quicker to fly out of DIA than COS.

s/mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver